“Ambiance, fresh food, wonderful staff.”
Review of Le Chat Noir Eatery - CLOSED

Le Chat Noir Eatery
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Arrived ten minutes before brunch was over & they were so gracious to seat us. Food was great, the service perfect and we loved the old house it is located in. I was reminded of some of the Inns we have dined in on the east coast. We may drive back one day just for lunch. Treat yourself.

1  Thank Sassygirl0530

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My best friend and I recently stumbled upon this little restaurant while shopping for pottery across the street (also recommended) in Castroville. Wow. We stopped there for Sunday brunch. I ordered the Caesar salad and our waiter asked me if I'd like any protein with my salad. That sounded good, and I indicated that I only ate fish. He recommended either the salmon or the shrimp. I was immediately impressed that I could custom-order my salad. I chose the salmon. I can say without a doubt that it was the very best Caesar salad I've ever had. The salmon was fresh, perfectly seasoned and mild. The romaine was extremely fresh and crispy. The house-made dressng was to die for. I live in Wisconsin and I've been craving this salad in Castroville Texas ever since. If I lived nearby I would visit every week.

1  Thank Amy M
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a small but roomy restaurant with a warm, friendly ambience. The chef changes the menu daily and offers nothing but the freshest food available. Extremely friendly and knowledgable staff-they all live in Castroville. Meals were way beyond our expectations! A must for couples or friends that want a great night out with terrific food!

1  Thank jthoepfel
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I love food--I mean, I really love food. But apparently I had really never had food before until I went to Le Chat Noir in Castroville, Texas on Saturday night. To begin, the restaurant is adorable, and Monte, who runs the front of the house and happens to be the chef's hubby, will steer you to just the right wine when you order--my wine selection was perfection for the pork chop I ordered. And boy am I glad I ordered the pork chop--like nothing I ever had before. But, the meal began with THE BEST CASEAR SALAD EVER! Not kidding--I adore salad, but this was super fabulous. The romaine was crispy and sweet, and the dressing had the hint of anchovie just as it should--I could have eaten a tub full. Oh, but the parmesan risotto--ah! I asked the chef if I could have a bucket to go--I was serious--and I WOULD NOT HAVE SHARED IT WITH ANYONE. My stomach is growling for that risotto as I write this review. Please, please go to Le Chat Noir--check their website and Facebook page for their wine pairings--am planning on going to the next one after Monte so kindly showed up the menu for the last one (included cherry pork belly with cannellini beans, tea smoked duck, ginger bread, etc.). It's only a 25-30 minute drive from San Antonio and so, so worth it--beats ANYTHING we have here--and when you go downtown here, by the time you park (not for free), etc. you could have been at Le Chat Noir have the most fabulous dining experience of your life. So go, go now--then go again!

1  Thank Karen V
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Went to Le Chat Noir with four family members for an early lunch. Monty greeted us and showed us to our table. We had reserved, but this Saturday at 11:30 we were the only customers. It is a converted house with polished wooden floors and tasteful art, very clean and pleasant. All the staff were pleasant and professional, the service definitely deserves five stars. Mom and Dad ordered the shrimp po-boys they had seen my sister order on an earlier visit and they were hot and delicious. Our group also ordered a portobello melt and a tenderloin melt, both reported to be fantastic. The days special was blackened trout, I ordered this and was rewarded with what may be the most flavorful fish I have ever tasted. Salt and pepper went untouched as this dish was masterfully seasoned. Everyone at my table wanted a taste and all agreed that it was scrumptious. For dessert we tried the banana cheese cake and were again surprised with a treat that stands head and shoulders above the normal. The restrooms are clean and very nice. I come to San Antonio frequently and will certainly be back again and again.

1  Thank John C