“A great experience.”

Hotel Alsace & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castroville
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Like others who have reviewed this small hotel, we went on a Groupon deal. We had a great experience. The hotel is on Hwy 90, and even though we could hear the traffic, it wasn't disturbing to us. The breakfast is Continental. You can make a homemade waffle. We thought the lunch buffet was very good quality. We had massages and pedicures and they were both great! The staff is friendly, the views are great and the little town of Castroville is steeped in Texas history with 1800's era preserved Alsatian style architecture on every corner. In our haste to pack up, I left my hanging bag with all my best clothing in the room. They mailed it to me the next day! I would go back anytime.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have a view of the valley behind. Some may be farther from Hwy 90. They are a...

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Groupon special. Hotel is on hill with very nice overview. However not good for quiet retreat. Had upstairs room and very spacious. Nothing fancy but clean and comfortable. As noted in previous reviews breakfast buffet is quite frankly lame. Used groupon for lunch and was good but nothing great. Hotel staff friendly and efficient. Nice pool setting, and grounds well maintained. The noise from highway 90 is just too much so that overnight is difficult.

Room Tip: Tale castroville historic walk very relaxing and quiet.
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights. Like some others, we found out about Hotel Alsace through Groupon. Because of the Groupon deal, I rated the stay higher. Had we paid full price, I would have rated it a little lower. The rooms are large with cobblestone type tile on the floor. One whole wall was composed of window panes with paned glass doors which opened to a nice balcony overlooking scenic hills. Included with the price were continental type breakfasts and one lunch for two in their pleasant restaurant. Also included was a $50 spa credit which my wife enjoyed very much. Although the rooms are nice and quiet, when sitting on the balcony, the traffic from I-90 was a little disturbing. The staff was professional yet friendly. We had a fun, relaxing time and would return again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room father from the road.
1  Thank Raymond D
Reviewed January 28, 2014

What a wonderful find....thank you for the Groupon, as I would haver never known about this wonderful little spa/hotel. Our spa treatments were so relaxing and the staff incredible! In fact, this is a very friendly place....from desk check-in to cleaning staff! I will definitely return for a weekend get away.

Room Tip: Close to highway, but we had a fan and did not hear any road noise and we were the second room in fr...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

When I bought this Groupon I wasn't expecting much but they sure did surprise me. The rooms are big and very clean. The balcony is huge and has a great view. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a quiet getaway. The staff was very friendly especially the man who checked us in named Ambrose. Again highly recommend.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Spectacular view of the Hill Country and a serenely beautiful place. We liked the spacious relaxing, uniquely featured room. Good base for tour of Hill Country. Would go again at a similar price. Price was right, but disappointed in the "breakfast" included. Skimpiest we ever partook of. The promo said lunch included. The staff this meant 1 lunch for 2 people. Some basics were neglected such as room service after the 1st night. We were told the room would be made up. It was not. Only 1 tiny bar of soap for 2 people, 2 nights. Had to use the pool towels after the regular supply was soiled. Coffee pot was faulty, but staff generous with coffee makings. A promotional notepad and pen would help the guest and the hotel. Would like to have a Gideon Bible in the room. Borrowed one from the office.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gerald H
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We purchased our stay through Groupon. This was an anniversary get away. Pros: The front desk staff were awesome. Very inviting and friendly. I have never been checked in to a hotel with such a friendliness. The rooms were very clean. The view from the restaurant was amazing. It was cold and rainy during our two night stay so we didn't get to enjoy the outside as much as we would have liked. Looks like it would be a lot of fun around the pool area during the summer. Cons: There was no hostess for the restaurant. We waited for about 15 minutes before anyone noticed we were there. Another couple had been waiting longer. Our waitress had very little knowledge of the menu. Her answer to every question was "I don't know". That was her reply for every table she waited on. She didn't even know the Soup of the Day. She was young and looked very uninterested in her job. The food in the restaurant was not good at all. I heard others complaining about the food as well. I heard one lady say that she had wanted to rent out the place for her daughter's party but that you had to have the food catered by the restaurant. She opted out because even though the place was beautiful, the food was not! The rooms were clean but very outdated and plain looking.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VBC65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castroville
Far West Side
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham San Antonio by Seaworld
Far West Side
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Been to Hotel Alsace & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!