“Great Getaway”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castroville
Schertz, Texas
“Great Getaway”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We used a Groupon for a mid week getaway. It was Quiet, shady, clean ,a great view from our balcony a surprisingly good restaurant. We self toured 100 to 150 year old homes and businesses and a short trip up the river road. We did not try the spa. We were very pleased and well rested after our visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Austin
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Nice remodel. Clean and comfortable. My room had a balcony, fridge, coffee maker, separate vanity from the bathroom which makes getting ready so easy. Ate in the restaurant. Very good dinner. Held meeting in the ballroom. Not the best conference facilities. Staff was very responsive though to our needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the valley for a better room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 15, 2013

After reading the other reviews we were not sure if our weekend would be an oops or a win. We were greeted by friendly staff and our reservations were in order. Our room was comfortable, clean with the necessary amenities such as hair dryer, coffee pot and even a small refrig. Each room had an individual balcony with chairs. The bed was comfy. Each unit had its on thermostat. Upon arrival the pool was being used by one couple and a small family. We enjoyed the pool the next morning for two hours with no one else present. There is a restroom and changing area at the pool. Check out staff were pleasant and gave us directions to the lake. Our pkg included a continental breakfast and a choice at lunch of either ordering from the menu or the buffet. Both meals are what we would have expected from this style eating. My guess is that had we of ordered entrees the food would have been a higher quality just based on the menu. We will have no problem referring others or visiting again for a quick weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for building three or four so that you look directly over the hill country rather than being clo...
3 Thank Terri K
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Based on older reviews of this hotel, I'm guessing the hotel has been recently renovated. They were doing some construction while my friend and I stayed there in July, so I imagine they're trying to improve the hotel. I felt like the professional photos were realistic, based on my experience. That said, I wouldn't have chosen to stay here if it weren't for the Groupon. It was too expensive for what you got.

As others have said, this hotel has the feel of a highway motel. It's definitely not a "spa" feeling, but it was clean. I didn't have a problem with the cleanliness of the building/rooms, but the housekeeping staff was pretty weak. They pretty much moved our covers back into place and refolded two towels. The hotel rooms have nice hill country views, but the walls are paper thin. We were lucky to have stayed during a slow time, so it wasn't too noisy. The beds were a little on the hard side but OK, and the pillows were really thin.

The first room we were in had a toilet that wouldn't stop running, but the front desk was nice enough to put us in a different room. The second room had a back door that didn't close properly, so we had to pull on it really hard to close it. The TVs were modern flat-panels, just like in the photos.

The pool was a little dirty (leaves, construction dust, some bugs), but it was manageable. The grounds were pretty, but there's nothing to do except sit at/near the pool. The sitting area had cushions that were very dirty (construction dust?), but the wire tables/chairs were fine. There seemed to be a lot of wasps in the area, but they didn't bother us.

Castroville is a small town, and you have to understand that going in. If you're looking for "things to do" like you would find in San Antonio, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for a small town atmosphere, Castroville was friendly and quiet. Castroville has very limited restaurant choices - especially during the week. Unless you want fast food or chain restaurants, there are usually only 3 choices during Monday-Wednesday, and you'd better want to eat before 7 p.m.

The on-site restaurant was pretty bad. As part of the Groupon, we got a free lunch. Although it was extremely convenient, I wouldn't go back. The buffet served the exact same things both days we were there. The service was dismal. The cook was a jerk and yelled at his staff in front of customers. The food was ok at best.

The spa was nice and was the main reason we chose this hotel. We got two massages by two different therapists, and a facial. All three people were very friendly and did a good job. I also enjoyed being able to charge the services to my room, which meant I didn't have to carry my purse around.

Room Tip: All rooms have a good view, but double-check things before you unpack. Make sure your door opens and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jaime D
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this particular hotel because of a Groupon discount they offered. We were looking for an inexpensive getaway in the Hill Country. The Groupon price was very affordable! We didn't have any idea what to expect so we were too disappointed, however, I do wonder why the hotel has the word "resort" in the name?? It is basically a motel with a restaurant, spa and swimming pool. The swimming pool was nice and clean and we enjoyed it in the afternoons. The Groupon included a $50 credit to the spa. I set my appointment about a week or so ahead of our trip and booked the appointment on-line. I arrived a few minutes before my appointment for the "relaxation package", which included a 30 minute relaxing massage followed by a 30 minute relaxing facial. I was greeted at the front door by the massage therapist. Both the massage therapist and the skin care professional were very kind and professional and good at their profession. It was a very relaxing environment and they made me feel like the most important client. I would definitely go back for the spa experience again. As far as the hotel, the rooms seemed clean and I don't have any complaints at all about them. Just not really a "resort" experience.....but not bad either.
I would not, however, recommend the hotel restaurant. It is called the Alsatian Restaurant. We tried it for dinner one night during our stay. The food was not terrible, but it wasn't that great either, and priced too high for what it is. The restaurant looks neat...has amazing potential, but the service was not what it should be for a place like that.

1 Thank KristinRoss
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

As already stated, the photos online are deceptive. This is not much more than a motel. There is a pool, which was nice, and a spa offering some services. And a restaurant.
Service at the front desk was friendly and good, but service in the restaurant was poor.
Try one of the restaurants downtown...... Dont waste your money on the "resort" restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank TheRoss1
Aubrey, Texas
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay at this lovely hotel! We chose this location specifically because it was outside of San Antonio. The hotel itself was clean, well kept and very inviting. We spent both afternoons at the pool enjoying the beautiful hill country view-our 8 year old son LOVED it! We did not visit the onsite restaurant, as we drive into Castroville one evening and into San Antonio the next. It is a short enough drive into SA- only about 30 minutes or so to the Alamo, 15 minutes or so to Sea World. Loved Haby's Bakery, which is just down the hwy. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Tatertot26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castroville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham San Antonio by Seaworld
Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa
Regency Inn
#2 of 3 in Hondo
Best Western Plus Lackland Hotel & Suites

Been to Hotel Alsace & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!