“Okay for a country motel.”

Hotel Alsace & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castroville
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Having recently come from a business trip to a big city, and having just stayed in a higher end chain hotel, it is difficult to be completely objective about this place.

I would use many words to describe it, but "spa" would not be one of them. It's a country motel - a decent country motel, but definitely a country motel.

The rooms are quite large, which I consider a plus. The views from our balcony are nice... if you don't look too far to the right to see the dumpsters and the cars. The room seemed very clean, but the bed was pretty uncomfortable - I could actually feel the springs digging in my back, and the "linens" on the bed look like they were bought at Wal Mart.

The continental breakfast is pretty sad - it's a waffle iron, and a fridge with milk and OJ, and that's pretty much it. Fortunately, there is a McDonalds down the road.

The closet is pretty huge - another plus... if only the leaky AC unit weren't right above it. Our room had soaking wet towels being stored on a shelf at the top of the closet - the AC unit had leaked all over them. We were assured the leaky unit had been repaired, and that the housekeeping staff had just failed to replace the towels.

The bathroom has great counter space, but the fixtures are total Motel 6 old school, and the Wal Mart tension rod they use to hold up the shower curtain came down on our heads a couple of times. Awesome.

There is a mini fridge in the room, which is kind of college dorm room nice, and they do manage to pull off a coffee maker in the bathroom, which is also nice, except that ours kind of made evil machine noises while brewing coffee.

I think the best thing about staying at Hotel Alsace is the restaurant, which has decent food, and fantastic views from their back patio area. We sat out there sipping wine with friends for hours - it was great.

I would reccomend this place to someone if you absolutely have to visit this part of the state - but mostly because I didn't see a Motel 6 nearby...

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank austinitegirl

Reviewed January 24, 2011

I stayed here for a medium sized conference held in the Community Center of a local church. The hotel was picked by the organizers of the conference. The rates are less than that of San Antonio and the rooms are very nice. The included continental breakfast is delicious. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The best service , food and stay we had in the 4 days we were out .thanks for a great time will be back .

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank shrt38
Reviewed October 10, 2010

The hotel staff was very nice and helpful. I enjoyed sitting outside the restaurant and talking to the other guest. If you want quiet and a relax admosphere this is the place. You need to plan your stay during one of their wonderful wine tastings the food was outstanding and the service was great.. We have been to two of their wine tastings.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank viajerafeliz53
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I can't even give this place one star due to the EXTREMELY poorly managed "resort". Check in was okay. The room did not appear dirty but there were spiders and insects in the bathroom and in the room. We were awoken to a person puking next to the french doors at 1:30am. Tried to call the front desk but no answer. When we went to the bathroom, there were more insects. Within 10 minutes after flushing the insects down the toilet, the toilet flooded the bathroom and the hallway. Again at 2a.m. we tried to call the front desk and again NO ANSWER. We loaded the floors with all towels we could find and made our way into the toilet and began toilet repairs as best we knew how. Of course, I still needed to use the restroom. Eventually, I realized the toilet parts in the tank needed replacement and stopped the flooding. At 3:30 am still no answer from the front desk. I went to sleep as best I could and check the bed for insects before I layed down. At 7:30a.m. BIG FOOT was staying in the room above so again I was awake. Telling our tale to the staff was useless as they were indifferent. The apathetic "manager" heard the story through the staff and never contacted us directly and decided to give us a partial refund. This information was communicated to us again through the front desk clerk as again the manager never spoke to us directly. If you want to be a manager, you will need to face problems head on and not hide under a rock. Our total bill for the night was over $130 and yes that did include her less that adequate "adjustment". I have pondered whether I should send her my bill for my on-call 24 hour plumbing services. If you need a place to stay, keep driving to San Antonio or pullover and sleep on the side of the road - chances are you will have less bugs and your ourdoor plumbing will be functioning.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank jcs8192
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Alsace one night while traveling from Houston to New Mexico. This is a roadside motel -- I wouldn't call it a resort. The rooms are minimalist gray and brown with tile floors (old furniture all painted gray). Our queen bed (they don't have king beds) was uncomfortable with scratchy sheets. We had a balcony with a very nice view, however all you could hear outside was the traffic on Hwy 90. Wireless internet is available but extremely slow. We did not venture out to the pool -- it appeared to be a standard motel pool. Restaurant was closed the night we stayed (although we had a fabulous dinner in town at the Old Alsatian Steakhouse). Continental breakfast was very limited. We paid $80 for the night -- which was probably about right -- but I would have chosen a different hotel had I known about all the downsides.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trippin_in_houston
Reviewed May 1, 2010

This was our 4th stay (or more?) at this property and I have to say, each time is better and better. They treat us like royalty! I love this place! My husband & I say how "at home" we feel here. It is so comfortable, relaxing and fun. The beer & wine events are very fun and quite a value. The food in the restaurant is always top quality and the chef is eager to accommodate special requests. Staff are all very friendly and on top of things. Rooms are spacious, clean and contemporary. I like the fact they make good attempts at being "green" and recycling. We will, without a doubt, be back and recommend this to friends & family.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castroville
Far West Side
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Been to Hotel Alsace & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!