“This DIVE is ran by crooked people”

Western Oaks Corporation Twelve Oaks Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carthage
Western Oaks Corporation Twelve Oaks Motel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Carthage
Plano, TX
“This DIVE is ran by crooked people”
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I went online and looked around Carthage to see what new hotels were in the area. I noticed Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Baymont Inn and Western Oaks were all together on the East side of the town on the loop. I called the day before arrival checking all the rates. The national chains had their rates artificially inflated and much too expensive for the region. So I called back to Western Oaks, and then confirmed a two night stay (Friday and Saturday). They did not have online confirmation nor did they take a credit card over the phone (a bit unusual). I arrived Friday evening and checked it. They asked for payment in cash for both nights as the credit card machine was not working. Luckily I had it and accommodated her request. She handed me a hand written receipt on a statement stating check in Friday (with current time and date) and check out Sunday (by noon and date). The rate was the same as given over the phone plus tax. Going to the room there were at least a dozen 18 Wheelers in the parking lot. Many of the drivers were sleeping in their trucks. When entering the room I noticed many things not right with the room, door would barley close and did not seal shut, sheetrock was falling down from ceiling in several places, lights didn't work, A/C was noisy like a train. Needless to say, it was very late and I was extremely tired from a long trip and just wanted to close my eyes for awhile. So I take a few hour nap... The next morning I was up and on my deer stand before sun rise. I went back to the hotel a little before 11 and planned to check out and go clean up across the street at another hotel already mentioned. I try my room card key and it doesn't work. Going to the front desk another Indian girl says I owe more money for another night. I show her my receipt and she says I'm wrong, I pre paid for one night. We go round and round. I ask her WHY would I pre pay for one night on a two night stay and why does my receipt state two nights. She then acts like she can't understand my position or English. Back and forth we go she plays dumb and so did the Manager when I approach him with the problem. Needless to say it was before noon so hey had to give me my cloths and bags. I left with barley my gear and a few bucks shorter in my wallet. The Police said because I paid cash there's not much they can do. And there's no way to fight it without going to Carthage Small Claims Court. So my only economical recourse is to tell other travelers to beware and watch yourself if you decide to stay at this dive. If I had known before hand, there's no way I would have stayed at this truck stop hotel. If I had been with my wife that night I would not have let her stay there period. Tired or not!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
8 Thank PlanoExec

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Newcastle, Wyoming
Reviewed July 15, 2006

We stayed in this motel for 4 nights while moving our daughter to Carthage. There we no rooms at the Best Western and only "smoking" rooms available at the Holiday Inn Express at a heavy price, otherwise we would probably not have stayed here more than the 1 night. The rooms are old and dark to say the least. They smell quite musty (my husband thought it might be the cleaning supplies they used, but I think it was just an "old motel" musty smell). We ended up getting some Fabreeze to help the room's aroma and that helped make it more tolerable. I can't say the room was dirty, but it was just kind of dingy due to it's age. The towels were almost paper thin and small and shampoo and soap were the very bottom quality. We did not use the shampoo because of that reason. The mattresses and bedding are of very poor quality or simply worn out. When we first arrived, the light between the beds would not work as the switch was broken. We told the front desk and after we returned from dinner, it was working so this was a positive point. Parking is right outside your doorway as all the rooms have exterior doors. They have a minimal continental breakfast (honey buns in invidual packages, 2 kinds of cereal, toast, juice and coffee). We didn't spend much time in our room, so the agedness of the motel was tolerable and the rates were low. You get what you pay for in this case, but if you're looking for a cheap place to stay and you're not fussy, this is the place for you.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank arby70

Travelers are raving about these Carthage hotels