“Definitely a different kind of "South of the Border" cuisine” 3 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Inca's Cafe & Lounge
Ranked #155 of 309 Restaurants in Carrollton
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Excellent quality, service and value!
Carrollton, Texas
“Definitely a different kind of "South of the Border" cuisine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have been to this restaurant on 3 separate occasions since it opened. I don't really count the first time since I was just having a couple of drinks after work but I can say that the decorum is a vast improvement over it's initial impression. That first time, the restaurant was literally bare bones (which is probably why I skipped dinner). It's a small place located in a strip mall but I'm glad to see they managed to fix it up somewhat.

My wife and I went to dine on New Year's afternoon and there were 3 other tables as I recall. Having never had Peruvian cuisine, we perused the menu quite carefully. For starters, we ordered the Papas a Huancaina, a Beef Empanada, a Chicken Empanada, and Chips and Salsa. All were excellent, particularly the yellow cream sauce on the potatoes. The salsa is a lime green and very mild, which I like.

For entrees, I had the Lomito Saltado. The beef was lean and it was served on a generous bed of rice. The fried egg was a nice touch. Different. I enjoyed it. My wife had the Chupe de Camarones and this dish was the highlight of this visit. Although listed under the seafood entrees, it's really a thick, creamy shrimp soup though the portion is that of an entrée. I can't recommend this dish enough.

For dessert, we ordered the Arroz con leche which my wife raved over and I had the Peruvian version of crème brulee which didn't seem all that different from other crème brulees but was good nonetheless.

The margaritas were nice, not too much mix or Tequila and not too little either. Just right though on the second visit I was somewhat puzzled by their inexplicable use of a totally different type of glassware to serve it in.

The service needs work. Both waiters were adequate and polite but were somewhat standoff-ish and had a rather difficult time in making recommendations. Service was rather slow as well and on both occasions the restaurant only had about two or three other tables and just as many waiters. This is rather unacceptable and is the primary reason why I can only give an average review for this place. The food was delicious and the other couple that we treated on the second visit agreed with that assessment with both of them polishing off their plates.

All in all, I'd say give this place at least one shot, if only for the fact that the cuisine is quite different from the usual "south of the border" fare and your choice of Peruvian restaurants is somewhat limited in Dallas. I would recommend that you view their menu on their website first since it may not be for everyone's taste. Perhaps I just caught the staff on a couple of off days but then again, I noticed that some other reviews had similar complaints. Perhaps it is a cultural issue as the waitstaff were all from South America. If that is the case, then the chef-owner needs to look into retraining them or at least hiring some people who have experience catering to American clientele.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Texas
“Great Food in an out of the way spot.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The food here was excellent. The service was not the best, but we were with a large group, so that didn't help. I've been here before with just my husband, however, and the service was slow that time also. Service was not so bad to keep us from coming back; but I think if the service was stepped up, this place would be just about perfect. It's nice to have a place to go for dinner on a Saturday night without being told "it's about a 45 minute wait". Will go back again!!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Plano, Texas, United States
“Food is good but not the service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

The service was awful! We went in and no one was there to seat us. Finally got seated, but took forever to get drinks. Another forever to order dinner. At least another half an hour to get the dishes. No one even came while we were eating to see if we needed anything else. Had to tell another waiter we needed the check. All these with only about five tables of customers!!! Dallas doesn't have a lot of Peruvian restaurants so we really have no comparisons as far as how the food really is. We think its decent.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
“Wonderful Peruvian Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My Dad is from Peru and cooks several Peruvian dishes. But this place has so many others I had never tried! I really enjoyed the food. It was different from going to any other type of Hispanic restaurant. It is a good place to go to if you want to try something new. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2012
The Villages, Florida
“Memories of the Huallaga Valley”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Up in Tingo Maria, in the Huallaga Valley of Peru, is a restaurant that does not have many things on the menu, but the item I picked most of the time was the "Lomo Saltado". It is a dish that has Asian influences consisting of strips of sirloin marinated in vinegar, soy sauce and spices, then stir fried with red onions, parsley and tomatoes. The Chef here at the Inca Cafe must be related to the cook in Tingo because the flavor was the same - GREAT. If you are in North Texas, and want some Real Peruvian food - or just some real good food - stop by and enjoy. My Peruvian bride had the "Papa a la Huancaina" and it was just as good as she makes it at home - Great. /// E. G. Adams