“Not a chance I would return”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Canyon Lake
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort Hill Country
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Canyon Lake
Bernalillo, New Mexico
“Not a chance I would return”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The place was overpriced, over crowded, unfriendly, rules posted all over the place. if you did not spend hours reading all of them, there were rangers there to impolitely tell you of your transgressions. I never heard the words, welcome, thank you for coming, have a nice stay. The place was out dated, in poor repair, no amenities, dirty, inadequate air conditioning. It was the worst lodging experience I have had in my 65 years. If I asked for directions I was answered like I was stupid and I should have known better than to have asked. I kept thinking that I was missing something that would make it seem somewhat worthwhile. It never happened. I have never been treated so badly or made to feel this unwelcome.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank MarthaGowen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Reviewed March 15, 2011

We just got back from a short Spring Break trip. When we first got there I was afraid my girls ( 8 & 11) were a little too old for the activities- their first reaction was "BORING" (of course that's their reaction to a lot of stuff!). However, we tried everything they had to offer and they were sad when we went home. They would have liked to have stayed at least one more day! They enjoyed jumping on the Jumping Pillow, doing arts & crafts, swimming in the indoor pool (the new pool was open, but it was a little too cool on the days we were there), the "hey-hey" ride, and best of all.... the gem mining! The entire campground was booked, yet it didn't seem to crowded at any point. We didn't get on the hayride the first time, because it was full, but we jumped on the Jumping Pillow for a few minutes, and they made a second trip for us and the others that didn't fit. The staff was friendly and very helpful. We stayed in a lodge room which was about what I expected. It was build a while ago.... and looked like it, but it was clean and sufficient. It had two double beds and a teeny little kitchen. The room was a little dark in the corners, it could use at least one more light near the closet area. Overall we had a really good time, and would recommend it to anyone with young children!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank kaywoody
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 13, 2011

When my wife made the reservation for Jellystone Park - Canyon Lake, I immediately searched for reviews on the net. After reading the reviews, I tried to get my wife the cancel the reservation. I was certain we were headed for a weekend of rude staff members, overcrowding, and a site that charges for everything my kid wanted to do. It was the complete opposite.

Cost - Our room had two full size beds, a sofa bed, and a kitchenette. It was $90/night, which is a little much for what it is, but comparable to similar rooms in the river/lake area. There are attractions that cost money (laser tag, pedal cars, etc.), but the big attractions are all free - indoor/outdoor pool, jumping pillow, hay rides, movie screening, crafts, games. The additional things that cost money are relatively inexpensive (bingo was $1, pedal cars were $5). The only thing that struck me as too pricey for what you get was the gem mining. It was $7.50 per kid and my son ended up with one piece of fools gold and a few colorful stones. There is a general store there with things to buy (toiletries, drinks, mementos, etc) at a convenience store-like markup.

Attractions/Activities - This park was heaven for our four year-old and the other kids who were with us (ages 3-13). The kids loved the jumping pillow. I was expecting a bouncer like you see at birthday parties, but it was much larger and cooler than that. The pools were a little crowded and the water was cold, but then again, we were there in early March and the kids didn't seem to mind. The night-time hay ride was fun, with a cart full of kids wearing glow sticks and yelling "Hey Boo Boo!". When you arrive, you get a schedule of activities for the days you will be there. There are things for the kids to do all day long. They have a flag raising with Yogi Bear to start the day, hay rides, crafts, bingo, movies screened in the activity center, contests, and games scheduled throughout the day. The have things like the root beer chugging contest, which are free and fun for the kids.

Site - The site is well-maintained, with plenty of areas for kids to hike, ride bikes, and play. There are a few playgrounds at the site and areas with tables and BBQ pits. There is a 5 m.p.h. speed limit enforced throughout and when you see all of the kids, you'll understand why. There is security in the front screening the cars that come in. The whole park is kid-friendly and I felt very comfortable with our son being/playing there. The site is not large, but we were there on Spring Break (sold out) and overcrowding was not an issue, except at the indoor pool.

Staff - The staff was very friendly. They are strict on enforcing the rules at the site (they said no when I ask if I could use the fire pit outside the room for making S'mores), but with so many kids running around the area , it was something I understood and appreciated. The staff also hosts the games and other activities. They were very kid-friendly.

Room - We stayed in a cabin. The room was very basic, but had air conditioning, cable tv, and a kitchenette. My wife is not the type who will not stay in a camper or rv, but she was fine with the room. Again, it wasn't anything grand, but you're hardly in the room while you're there.

Overall - I wasn't looking forward to this trip. Our family doesn't camp and the idea of staying at a campsite didn't appeal to me. After reading the reviews, I was even more convinced that the weekend would be a bust. I couldn't have been more wrong. The room wasn't great, but the room isn't the reason you're there. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Some activities cost money (the ones you'd expect), but the majority of them are free. The site is not too large, but has enough areas for the kids to play and for adults to do things like BBQ. The entire place is very family oriented. Most importantly, the kids loved it. The attractions/activities were great and the kids enjoyed them all. I recommend the place and we will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
14 Thank Stephen_C_B
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 24, 2010

I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews. However, all the staff were VERY friendly. There were many activities for the children - vollebyall, horseshoes, jumping pillow, pools (They are in the process of building a NEW pool), laser tag, movies, hayrides, etc...It's a safe, quiet camp and very relaxing.

The room was not new. It reminded me of other rustic camps we've stayed at. However, it was very spacious and adequate for a weekend stay. It did seem a little high considering you have to take your own linens.

The staff provided a free pancake breakfast Sunday morning, and from what I understand this is a weekly event.

My kids 10, 9 and 3 are all begging to go back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank crimsonkelley
Edinburg, Texas
Reviewed September 7, 2010

This place is awesome for families with children.They have numerous activities for children such as crafts, bingo, movie, hay ride and many more

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank dalia52
Crasster
Reviewed August 19, 2010

The pools were extremely small and extremely crowded.
The jumping pillow was too hot for the kids to jump on & closed at night.
The games were all for pay.
Horrendously expensive camp sites ($50+ a night) and the rooms were $150+ a night.

We traveled with numerous family members. Some had camp sites, some got the rooms. The rooms were very dated, with dark wood panel walls...
My sister in law said it best "For $150 a night we could have stayed at the Marriott and got free breakfast". So true.... But their pancake breakfast cost $.

Our camp site was so close to the other pop up campers I could reach both my arms out sideways & hit our camper & theirs.

Don't let management flag this either. This is for Jellystone Park Hill Country by Canyon Lake, TX - There is a bible verse at the front entry way.

It would have been a better park if it was $20 a night. At least for $20 a night at a state park I could get a large beautiful camp site. This place was a joke. Don't do it.

We came with numerous kids in the family & none wanted to use the park facilities.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Crasster
Houston, TX
Reviewed August 4, 2010

This place is awful!! We stayed in a cottage there w/ another couple for a river tubing trip. The room had a full kitchen and two beds in a room. The place had the feeling that it was built 40 years ago and hadn't had a good cleaning since then. The bathroom door frame was swollen or something b/c everytime you tried to open or shut the door, it sounded like it was going to break. The bedroom had extremely dated wood paneling on the wall that had been painted over.

All this I could have overlooked but the beds were AWFUL. They were the thinnest hardest mattresses I'd ever laid on and they had a plastic "bedwetting" cover under the sheets so the sheets popped off a few times throughout the night. Everytime someone rolled over, the bed creaked, popped, and groaned so loud it would wake everyone up.

The only plus about these places is that they offer free shuttle service to and from the river tubing rental locations- so if you plan on tubing and drinking, there is no need for driving.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
The Resort at Schlitterbahn
The Resort at Schlitterbahn
#1 of 33 in New Braunfels
JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa

Been to Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort Hill Country? Share your experiences!