“Eating out with a pleasant view”

Gennaro's Trattoria
Ranked #1 of 66 Restaurants in Canyon Lake
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated, Gennaro's Trattoria serves authentic Italian cuisine, originating from Naples, Italy, made from fresh ingredients. Gennaro's Trattoria's motto is "che mangia bene, vive bene" or, "who eats well, lives well." We invite you to enjoy and enrich your life by dining with us.
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We went to eat there yesterday - party of 4. We ordered the Bisteca Fiorentina (ribeye), the salmon special, the Fiorentina, and the shrimp with fettuccini. Everything was delicious, including the bread, the house salad and the wine we ordered. Place has a fabulous outdoor seating area. You do not feel that you are in the Hill Country but rather in a little Italian hideaway. This is the 3rd time I've had dinner there and I always recommend it to friends.

Gennaro D, Owner at Gennaro's Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

I'm glad we could make you feel like you were in an "Italian hideaway." It's great to read that you and your party enjoyed everything from the rib eye to the salmon special, because if you're happy, we're happy! You're welcome back for another meal and a glass of wine any time -- hope to see you soon.

All the best,

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Best value in Italian food in my entire life experience. Wonderful food, great wine prices, good service, pleasant atmosphere...but don't go without reservations! People are driving from large distances as the word gets out. Try the stuffed shrimp or the bistecca beef. Home baked bread. Great pizza. We keep going back. Yummm!

Best value in Italian food in your entire life?! I'm blown away by this review, Bob. Thank you so much for the compliments. I'm happy to read you've enjoyed everything from the pizza to the service and atmosphere. The next time you're craving stuffed shrimp, our door's always open!

See you soon,

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Great! Lovely drive and wonderful food! Will definitely return---some of the best service I have had in a long time.

Gennaro D, Owner at Gennaro's Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Thanks so much for the compliments, Pat! Glad you enjoyed your meal and service with us. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Take care,

Reviewed July 11, 2014

We met some friends for lunch here and it was our first time. We were not disappointed and hope to return. You wouldn't expect to find such fine dining at a lake and off the beaten bath of busy cities. But here it is. A must if you are in the area or even if you have to travel a short distance. The place is well maintained and has a terrific patio area newly finished. We were promptly waited on and seated. The menu is varied and we all enjoyed our choices of entrees. It is a little pricey for lunch if you are used to going to a "fast food" venue but then you don't have the service and ambiance that this restaurant provides. There was plenty of seating but the restaurant filled up fast. The food was delicious and served the correct temperature with a nice presentation. The service was very good too. Looks like a great place for a party or gathering.

Great food and a wonderful ambiance? Sounds like a successful meal out to me! Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm happy to read you and your friends enjoyed a great meal with attentive service. I appreciate the recommendation, and the next time you're craving Italian -- our door's always open!

Have a good one,

Reviewed July 11, 2014

If ever this restaurant was a lonely seafood house sitting on the hill just outside of Startzville proper, you would never have guessed it. What a transformation to a wonderful terraced villa like restaurant moderately replete with olive trees and vine covered arbors. The owner takes pride in the landscaping and it shows. The trattoria is on a short-cut road off of 3159 that all the locals know (and use frequently) so you need to be aware of the traffic that just exited the highway and may not yet have cut off their afterburners as you exit the parking lot on your departure.

A seat next to the window will get you a view of the pergola and the adjacent hillside. A very relaxing vista and perfect pre-dinner engaging activity. If you should not gain a table with a view, don't be disappointed. Once you receive the complimentary garlic knots and rustic bread slices served with herbed oil, you will forget all about any view. For bread lovers like my wife and I, this plate of yeasty delights was above and beyond . . . You will definitely want to order some of the garlic knots to take home.

All the entrees I sampled were noteworthy in appearance, flavor and taste. Out of the crab cake appetizers, shrimp and pasta with lemon cream sauce, chicken scallopini, and salmon with pasta, the salmon was my least favorite. I am more partial to mild fish flavors and this salmon had a big fish taste. The other dishes were masterfully done and I would have no problem ordering any one of them again.

Sufficiently sated by excellent sauces over savory entrees and enough olive oil dipped bread to lube bodily joints from head to toe for a week, sadly we had no room for dessert. Maybe next time . . . and there will most definitely be a next time.

1  Thank OmniEpicurean

Thanks so much for the compliments! This type of feedback is music to our ears, so I'll be sure to pass it along to the staff. Although the salmon wasn't for you, I'm happy to read you and your wife enjoyed everything else, from the bread and oil to the chicken scallopini. I appreciate the tips on taking some garlic knots to-go, and I'm sure other reviewers will appreciate this, too. Looking forward to having you for dessert next time!

All the best,