“Devine Red Snapper”

Gennaro's Trattoria
Ranked #1 of 62 Restaurants in Canyon Lake
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Family owned and operated, Gennaro's Trattoria serves authentic Italian cuisine, originating from Naples, Italy, made from fresh ingredients. Gennaro's Trattoria's motto is "che mangia bene, vive bene" or, "who eats well, lives well." We invite you to enjoy and enrich your life by dining with us.
Houston, Texas
“Devine Red Snapper”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

The special of the night. Baked red snapper for 2 ( enough for 4). Stuffed with crabmeat, artichoke, and other ingredients. The Fish was served whole, eyes and all.
Skipped the eyes, but ate it all. Delicious !! I have never had a bad meal here. But this was the best, most interesting dish I have eaten anywhere. I am a foodie too. Highly recommended. Eat here every time we are in the area.

• Visited April 2014
Gennaro D, Owner at Gennaro's Trattoria, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
What an honor to serve you the "best, most interesting dish" you've ever eaten (and coming from a foodie like you, that means a lot!). Thanks for that great review. I'm happy to read you've always enjoyed your meals with us and look forward to seeing you soon.

All the best,
Gennaro, Owner

P.S. The eyes aren't for the faint of heart, so we understand not trying them out. Some day!

San Antonio, Texas
“Great meal great view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Came here on a sunday, easy dirve from San Antonio 30-40 mins, service was ver good, very good selection of plates wife had rib eye and shrimp and it was very good prices very reasonable $15-22 range, we are in the process to make plans for a return trip to the restaurant.
Nice patio area for a cool evening .

• Visited June 2014
Gennaro D, Owner at Gennaro's Trattoria, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thanks for making the drive from San Antonio to see us! I'm glad your wife enjoyed the rib eye and shrimp. If surf 'n' turf is her thing, we make a Manzo Portabella, which is a different style of the beef and shrimp combination that I think she'd really like!

Looking forward to your next visit,
Canyon Lake, Texas
“A very special dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

This was our second trip Gennaro's after a great first experience. We have been shopping for a home in the Canyon Lake area and now that we found one, so glad to know this gem is right around the corner from our new house.

We didn't have a reservation because it was a last minute decision. Highly recommend reservations, but we were seated at the bar and enjoyed a nice Italian wine before dinner.

Once seated, one of the specials that night was whole red snapper for two topped with various shellfish. This was one of the best entrees I have enjoyed in my life and we have dined out all around the US and many parts of the world. My wife both agreed this was one of the best meals in recent history. The red snapper was prepared and served with great style and was unbelievably fresh.

All around a great night and unbelievable restaurant for being "on the lake". We will be frequent customers.

• Visited May 2014
Gennaro D, Owner at Gennaro's Trattoria, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Wow, thank you for the kind words. Just when I thought this review couldn't get any better, I got to the "one of the best entrees I have enjoyed in my life" part. I'm honored to read that you loved the red snapper -- head, tail, and all -- so much!

It's my goal for you to feel at home from the moment you walk through the door until the moment you leave, so I'm glad you enjoyed everything from the pre-meal vino to the fresh snapper. Again, thanks for the feedback. I also appreciate the reservation tip, and I'm sure other reviewers will, too.

Welcome to Canyon Lake and hope to see you again soon,
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't Believe We Waited So Long!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

We finally stopped in last Sunday afternoon and we are very glad we did. The food and service was great. We will be back.

1 Thank cheryl b
Gennaro D, Owner at Gennaro's Trattoria, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thanks for finally coming in, Cheryl! Glad to see you were pleased with both your meal and the service. Hope to see you again, soon!

Best,
New Braunfels, Texas
“Very good, but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

First of all you need to know that making a reservation is important. We arrived at 6:35 pm on a Thursday night. One hour fifteen minutes wait for table inside and fifteen minute wait to eat outside. We went outside. Let me start by saying it is beautiful out there; quaint and decorated with pergola, grapevines, olive trees, but, and I don't know if the time of year matters or not, but the gnats were awful-sure I got a little more protein than I expected.

They start you out with home-made breads and garlic infused EVOO with Italian herbs-absolutely awesome!

We chose to start with the crab cakes.....maybe not the best choice-they weren't bad exactly, it's just my preference is a lighter crispy breading. This was definitely a little chewy, but had a lot of crab.

House salad very tasty...too much dressing...next time I will get it on the side . Again, personal preference. It wasn't swimming in it, just a bit more than I like.

Main courses were lamb chops with blueberries for my husband and a Gamberi with stuffed shrimp for me. Lamb a little too done, but very good....a lot of food on that plate. Gamberi dish ....Again....not liking the breading on the stuffed shrimp, but the rest of the dish has grilled shrimp, portabella mushrooms and spinach over linguini with lemon cream sauce....that part was absolutely delicious. Stuffed shrimp not bad, but not to my liking.

All in all a very nice meals sans gnats.

Recommend reservation without fail so you can eat in the inside dining room!

• Visited May 2014
Gennaro D, Owner at Gennaro's Trattoria, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Sandy, I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed your meals and the beautiful view along with them! We do serve large portions to give our customers the real family style Italian dining experience. It sounds like the breading in our crab cakes and stuffed shrimp wasn't quite to your liking, but I think you might enjoy our Cioppino -- all the seafood is sauteed and served in a light broth. At any rate, please know that our servers are always happy to make suggestions in the moment based on your preferences.

As you mentioned, we do take reservations, so if you have a preference between dining inside our outside, we're happy to take note of that. Thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

All the best,