“Very good, but....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gennaro's Trattoria

Gennaro's Trattoria
Ranked #1 of 62 Restaurants in Canyon Lake
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Family owned and operated, Gennaro's Trattoria serves authentic Italian cuisine, originating from Naples, Italy, made from fresh ingredients. Gennaro's Trattoria's motto is "che mangia bene, vive bene" or, "who eats well, lives well." We invite you to enjoy and enrich your life by dining with us.
New Braunfels, Texas
“Very good, but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

First of all you need to know that making a reservation is important. We arrived at 6:35 pm on a Thursday night. One hour fifteen minutes wait for table inside and fifteen minute wait to eat outside. We went outside. Let me start by saying it is beautiful out there; quaint and decorated with pergola, grapevines, olive trees, but, and I don't know if the time of year matters or not, but the gnats were awful-sure I got a little more protein than I expected.

They start you out with home-made breads and garlic infused EVOO with Italian herbs-absolutely awesome!

We chose to start with the crab cakes.....maybe not the best choice-they weren't bad exactly, it's just my preference is a lighter crispy breading. This was definitely a little chewy, but had a lot of crab.

House salad very tasty...too much dressing...next time I will get it on the side . Again, personal preference. It wasn't swimming in it, just a bit more than I like.

Main courses were lamb chops with blueberries for my husband and a Gamberi with stuffed shrimp for me. Lamb a little too done, but very good....a lot of food on that plate. Gamberi dish ....Again....not liking the breading on the stuffed shrimp, but the rest of the dish has grilled shrimp, portabella mushrooms and spinach over linguini with lemon cream sauce....that part was absolutely delicious. Stuffed shrimp not bad, but not to my liking.

All in all a very nice meals sans gnats.

Recommend reservation without fail so you can eat in the inside dining room!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gennaro D, Owner at Gennaro's Trattoria, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Sandy, I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed your meals and the beautiful view along with them! We do serve large portions to give our customers the real family style Italian dining experience. It sounds like the breading in our crab cakes and stuffed shrimp wasn't quite to your liking, but I think you might enjoy our Cioppino -- all the seafood is sauteed and served in a light broth. At any rate, please know that our servers are always happy to make suggestions in the moment based on your preferences.

As you mentioned, we do take reservations, so if you have a preference between dining inside our outside, we're happy to take note of that. Thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

Canyon Lake, Texas
“Good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Love the Margherita pizza. Have not had a bad meal there. Awesome bread, the garlic knots are wonderful. Very nice wine list also. Weekends are usually very busy, so I would advise reservations. We usually get take out after a day on the lake.

• Visited May 2014
Gennaro D, Owner at Gennaro's Trattoria, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Kandi, takeout after a day on the lake sounds incredible. (We're jealous!) I'm happy to read that you enjoy our Margherita Pizza as well as our breads and wine. Our Manzo Portabella is another popular dish -- if you haven't already given it a try, I'd definitely recommend it!

You're right, our weekends can get pretty busy, so thanks for suggesting reservations to other reviewers. We appreciate the great feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Texas
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We never expected an Italian restaurant hidden in the hill country to be so good. We were very pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious and the wait staff was amazing.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank ElusiveCher
Gennaro D, Owner at Gennaro's Trattoria, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Well, I'm certainly glad you found us! Our food is authentic to Naples, with recipes passed down through the family -- I'm happy to read that you enjoyed it. If you're in the area often, we'd love to have you back. Our outdoor dining patio is perfect for summer with its views of the beautiful Hill Country -- and it's pet friendly, too!

Hope to see you soon,
San Antonio, Texas
“Delicious & Authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

This family owned Italian restaurant offers great menu selections to include Seafood. To start with the assortment of fresh baked bread with their signature garlic & oil was a delight. The service was excellent & friendly. Beautiful patio with amazing hill country views. We will definitely return with more friends & family,

Visited May 2014
1 Thank JJ W
JJ, thanks so much for the wonderful review! I'll definitely relay the message to my staff. Glad to hear you enjoyed your meal as much as we enjoyed preparing and serving it. The bread and oil combo is a staple, but we change our menu semi-annually to keep a fresh variety.

Next time you're here, feel free to check out the bocce court! If you're bringing friends & family, you're sure to have a great time. (And you're right -- how can you beat that view?)

See you soon!
Fort Davis, Texas
“Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

busy place, so that's a good indicator on the restaurant itself, my advice is call ahead for reservations.
God Bless Texas

Visited May 2014
Thanks for the great rating, Bruce! I'm glad to read you enjoyed our restaurant in the beautiful Hill Country (go Texas!). We do get pretty busy, so thanks for giving other readers a heads up about reservations.

It'd be great to have you back. If you're feeling adventurous, give our red snapper a try (head, tail, & everything!). No matter what you order, though, don't miss our patio -- it's gorgeous this time of year.