“Best Italian Food this side of Italy”

Gennaro's Trattoria
Ranked #1 of 66 Restaurants in Canyon Lake
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated, Gennaro's Trattoria serves authentic Italian cuisine, originating from Naples, Italy, made from fresh ingredients. Gennaro's Trattoria's motto is "che mangia bene, vive bene" or, "who eats well, lives well." We invite you to enjoy and enrich your life by dining with us.
Reviewed May 30, 2013

What a treat. THE BEST Italian food we have ever eaten and the service was excellent as well. From the mussels we shared as an appetizer (soaking up the juices with their delicious rolls and bread!), to the salad which was fresh and had a wonderful olive oil, fresh herb and wine vinegar dressing- so simple but so could we gobbled it up, then the spaghetti with bolognese and the crab stuffed jumbo shrimps with lemon sauced linguine, AND the finish.....traditional cannoli made fresh on site as all their desserts and food is. The bread and rolls were so good and just baked we ordered some to take home. The hostess was nice and smiled and constantly checked on availability of tables and often was the one placing the fresh tablecloth, napkins and silverware. The efficiency of everyone working together as a team was noticeable and a manager was onsite as well. Just a wonderful evening!!!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place had the best reviews in the area, and I'm not sure why, other than the fact that it is very fru-fru. The menu was not imaginative and the food was just average. The service was overbearing and pushy. Not a good value at all.

1  Thank Dave R
Reviewed May 30, 2013

& it's always the best.We have been to Gennaro;s several times & it's always the best, Service is great, ambience, food & prices are very reasonable. Our all time Italian restaurant.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Busy, place, not quiet, you really need reservations, especially on a weekend.

We had the Steamed Mussels for a starter. They were in a cream sauce and some of the best I have ever enjoyed. At $10 they are a great deal, next time I will order them and a salad and call that my meal.

This night, I had the lamb. Excellent, nice finish with the berry sauce and baby potatoes, my wife had the chicken with artichokes and she is still talking about it two days later.

Prices are more than fair, in fact a bargin. Did I mention the MUSSELS? I wish they had clams prepared the same way. Great Service as well.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The same title as my B&B review I know but it was theme for the weekend. We made reservations around 1:30 the same afternoon and they gave us choices "4, 430 or 9". We are late eaters usually so 9 wasn't a bad option for us. Arriving promptly at 9 they then informed us that our reservations were booked for 830 and were let go since we didn't show. I explained that was not what happened and it seemed to go unnoticed (not in a rude way, just unnoticed). We did end up waiting about 20 mins which was not a big deal since we weren't staving or anything but I thought a complimentary glass of wine or something would have been a nice offering considering it was not my mix up or maybe they still think it was...hmmm..
Anyway, we were seated and a nice waiter served us. Nothing too special to write about with the atmosphere. He brought us bread and an olive oil dipping sauce which were both excellent and then salads which were very good. Looking at the wine menu they had great selections for reasonable prices. I pride myself on finding really good wines for sub $15 prices and they had a few on here but with the mark up they were more of course but no a huge mark up. I paired a nice Tuscan wine with the medallion steaks and pasta, beautiful. They were cooked to a perfect medium rare which can be very tricky with thinner steaks. They were so tender you could cut them with a fork and let them melt in your mouth. The girlfriend, who looked gorgeous btw, had the lobster ravioli which was delightful.
The portions weren't huge and that is good thing. They were just right, getting older that is what we look for.
For dessert we were torn between several kinds of cheesecake, tiramisu or chocolate cake. We compromised on a mixture of what we both wanted and got a tiramisu cheesecake. AWESOME!! The serving portion on that was large and easily split between two people. I was expecting the usual $80-$100 bil but was very pleasantly surprised that it came out to $47. Granted we only had one glass of wine on the bill but if we had gotten the bottle it would have only been $12 more.
All in all this place is so very good. There didn't seem to be many restaurants around this area so we thought that the reviews were just because lack of competition but the people speak the truth.