“You've Got to be Kidding Me!”

Gennaro's Trattoria
Ranked #1 of 63 Restaurants in Canyon Lake
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Family owned and operated, Gennaro's Trattoria serves authentic Italian cuisine, originating from Naples, Italy, made from fresh ingredients. Gennaro's Trattoria's motto is "che mangia bene, vive bene" or, "who eats well, lives well." We invite you to enjoy and enrich your life by dining with us.
Houston, Texas
“You've Got to be Kidding Me!”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

...that's pretty much what I thought when someone suggested eating Italian food at the lake, of all places. Fortunately, I went. And, I've been back several times and plan to go several times before we have to leave the area in a month (We are RVers).

The restaurant is very nice (new) and quaint. Every staff and wait person has been a pleasure. Oh, and the food is fabulous! I've had their salmon and lemon chicken. My husband has had a few of the chicken dishes and beef dishes. All are excellent. Not being a chicken eater - I've tried to find a lemon chicken dish at several other good Italian restaurants since I tried the one at Gennaro's - and none have come close. So... My personal dilemma (on our next visit) will be to try another dish or to stick with the Lemon Chicken.

The restaurant isn't that far from Hwy 281 and not that far from North San Antonio. It is certainly worth the drive.

TIP: Regardless of where you are coming from - MAKE A RESERVATION. They are ALWAYS busy.

Texas
“I'm so full, worth the pain! This new place is authentic!”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Went for a meeting with the Bulverde/ Spring Branch Chamber and it was so amazing. The flavors, the menu, the atmosphere, all way above expectations. Very authentic and so fresh, the meals were off the hook! I have never seen a caper so big. I will be back and next time to try the wine list. They were pretty busy for lunch too so you may want to call them and give them a heads up you are coming. Sorry, no pictures- when my food came it was gone fast.

• Visited September 2012
League City, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful Food with Gluten Free Options”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The food was great. The place was hopping and the gluten free pasta was amazing! They are closed a few days a week so check schedule before going.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Alliebaba_12
Canyon Lake, Texas
“Are you sure we are at the lake?”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Hi Y'all! Last Saturday afternoon, my partner and I enjoyed a delicious meal at Startzville. We are usually disappointed in places that open at the lake, because most of them fail soon after opening. We actually made bets on how long this place would make it. The decor is over the top and we just could not picture the usual lake crowd dining here.

We may have been presumptuous. After reading rave reviews we broke down and gave it a try. We got lucky to have Scott for our server and he is the best. The bread and olive oil for dipping was excellent, as were the salads. They only serve house Italian dressing, so don't get all bewildered when you don't get Ranch.

We both got the specials, my husband enjoyed the flounder and pasta and was generous enough to share with me a dime sized nibble. I got the rigatoni with beef, peppers and sun dried tomatoes. It was succulent, but the pasta was not homemade and just shy of al dente. I would have enjoyed a little more of the beef and less of the pasta. It was served hot and that is important to me.

Scott brought more bread and oil as needed and was generous with the pepper mill and the block of fresh parmesan. He also refreshed our drinks often. I would much rather enjoy a meal out such as this than go to the usual places which serve up a big old plate of mediocre SOS.

We will enjoy future visits as we live just down the street and get tired of traveling on weekends after commuting all week. We were so stuffed when we left, that we actually talked about next time splitting an appetizer instead of getting our own entree. About 3 seconds into that thought we had a chuckle, knowing that would never happen. I think we will try the pizza next time.

Not to be stuffy, but we have spent plenty of time in Italy, and especially enjoyed Como, so we know first hand how wonderful Italian food can be. We had dishes over there that were absolute masterpieces, and this place was right up there with the real deal.

I would invite everyone to get out and enjoy a meal soon. Don't wait for an anniversary of a birthday, tomorrow is promised to no one. Do not put off doing something wonderful today, Make some great memories every day and always look forward to your next meal.

For those of you who just love the Dairy Queen, well that's great, enjoy your dilly bars. I will be enjoying some savory fare with beautiful dishes, salad forks, fresh linens and service even us lake folks enjoy.

If I can syphon enough gas out of my neighbors weed whacker, and drive my lawn mower down the street, then I shall enjoy a delectable lunch at Gennaro's often. Have fun! <><

Canyon Lake, Tx USA
“Fresh & Fabulous”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

It is definitely the best restaurant in the canyon lake area. The dipping sauce and the bread starters are excellent. Normally I like to have balsamic vinegar accompanying olive oil dipping sauce, but with this there is no need. Everything tastes fresh and seems to be made from scratch. The food comes out of the kitchen piping hot, made to order and delicious. There are very limited choices up at the lake for nice dining establishments with excellent food that has staying power. This fits the bill. There was a comment by another reviewer about the restaurant being overpriced for Canyon Lake, this is absolutely not true. There are some great values on the menu. Just today at a local restaurant at the lake I had chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and Texas toast. It was served on a paper plate, outdoors (no indoor dining facility) and the cost for the plate was $8. This is what Gennaro’s charges for a large plate of spaghetti and meatballs which includes a salad and freshly baked bread with dipping sauce starters.