“Wonderful Food with Gluten Free Options”

Gennaro's Trattoria
Ranked #1 of 66 Restaurants in Canyon Lake
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated, Gennaro's Trattoria serves authentic Italian cuisine, originating from Naples, Italy, made from fresh ingredients. Gennaro's Trattoria's motto is "che mangia bene, vive bene" or, "who eats well, lives well." We invite you to enjoy and enrich your life by dining with us.
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The food was great. The place was hopping and the gluten free pasta was amazing! They are closed a few days a week so check schedule before going.

1  Thank Alliebaba_12

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Hi Y'all! Last Saturday afternoon, my partner and I enjoyed a delicious meal at Startzville. We are usually disappointed in places that open at the lake, because most of them fail soon after opening. We actually made bets on how long this place would make it. The decor is over the top and we just could not picture the usual lake crowd dining here.

We may have been presumptuous. After reading rave reviews we broke down and gave it a try. We got lucky to have Scott for our server and he is the best. The bread and olive oil for dipping was excellent, as were the salads. They only serve house Italian dressing, so don't get all bewildered when you don't get Ranch.

We both got the specials, my husband enjoyed the flounder and pasta and was generous enough to share with me a dime sized nibble. I got the rigatoni with beef, peppers and sun dried tomatoes. It was succulent, but the pasta was not homemade and just shy of al dente. I would have enjoyed a little more of the beef and less of the pasta. It was served hot and that is important to me.

Scott brought more bread and oil as needed and was generous with the pepper mill and the block of fresh parmesan. He also refreshed our drinks often. I would much rather enjoy a meal out such as this than go to the usual places which serve up a big old plate of mediocre SOS.

We will enjoy future visits as we live just down the street and get tired of traveling on weekends after commuting all week. We were so stuffed when we left, that we actually talked about next time splitting an appetizer instead of getting our own entree. About 3 seconds into that thought we had a chuckle, knowing that would never happen. I think we will try the pizza next time.

Not to be stuffy, but we have spent plenty of time in Italy, and especially enjoyed Como, so we know first hand how wonderful Italian food can be. We had dishes over there that were absolute masterpieces, and this place was right up there with the real deal.

I would invite everyone to get out and enjoy a meal soon. Don't wait for an anniversary of a birthday, tomorrow is promised to no one. Do not put off doing something wonderful today, Make some great memories every day and always look forward to your next meal.

For those of you who just love the Dairy Queen, well that's great, enjoy your dilly bars. I will be enjoying some savory fare with beautiful dishes, salad forks, fresh linens and service even us lake folks enjoy.

If I can syphon enough gas out of my neighbors weed whacker, and drive my lawn mower down the street, then I shall enjoy a delectable lunch at Gennaro's often. Have fun! <><

Reviewed August 15, 2012

It is definitely the best restaurant in the canyon lake area. The dipping sauce and the bread starters are excellent. Normally I like to have balsamic vinegar accompanying olive oil dipping sauce, but with this there is no need. Everything tastes fresh and seems to be made from scratch. The food comes out of the kitchen piping hot, made to order and delicious. There are very limited choices up at the lake for nice dining establishments with excellent food that has staying power. This fits the bill. There was a comment by another reviewer about the restaurant being overpriced for Canyon Lake, this is absolutely not true. There are some great values on the menu. Just today at a local restaurant at the lake I had chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and Texas toast. It was served on a paper plate, outdoors (no indoor dining facility) and the cost for the plate was $8. This is what Gennaro’s charges for a large plate of spaghetti and meatballs which includes a salad and freshly baked bread with dipping sauce starters.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had heard good things about this restaurant so six of us made reservations for 5:00 pm on Sat. and were seated very close to our reservation time. The restaurant itself is tastefully decorated and the tables are set very nicely with white linen tablecloths and cloth napkins. Although the atmosphere is casual elegance, there were many forms of dress from business casual to shorts and tanks. I was told that most dressed nicely and found that not to be true. Now for the food...we all thought it was wonderful! Eash of us ordered different entrees from lasagna, chicken parmesan, ribeye steaks, beef medallions, spaghetti and meatballs and my dish was the osso bucco. While I liked the osso bucco, I probably wouldn't order it again as it did not measure up to the price. Speaking of price, entrees run from $8 up to about $24. Most run between $9 and $12. Tried my daughter's lasagna and thought it was fabulous. This is what I will order when I go back!

1  Thank NumberOnesFan
Reviewed July 7, 2012

After hearing how good this restaurant was, we were surprised to be able to find a parking space and be seated immediately, especially since it was a Friday afternoon after the Fourth of July. The restaurant seemed especially nice and clean and was decorated with country Italian touches. After we sat down, we could hear a table of ladies commenting on how good their food was. Our waitress explained the specials of the day and my husband ordered the salmon in bow tie pasta and I ordered the chicken parmesan with linguine with tomatoes. His portion wasn't too much, but a good size bowl with a lunch size portion. His salmon was grilled and diced into bite size portions and he said it was "amazing and awesome". My chicken parmesan was butterflied, breaded and topped with melted mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce. My linguine was in a bright red tomato sauce and the cherry tomatoes burst apart amongst the sauce. The flavors were fresh, rich and had a flavor of warmth and unusualness that I've never tasted before. Not spicy, but well developed. Our salads were good but the real stars of the meal were the fresh warm breads served on wooden paddles and the olive oil and herb pesto (without the pine nuts). I have never tasted such delicious olive oil. I buy extra-virgin olive oil and use it all the time, but theirs is unusually good.

At another table, a woman was saying how delicious her veal parmesan was and seemed surprised it wasn't on the menu because it was a special so she expressed concern to the waitress if she would be able to order this again when she returned. She said it was the best she had ever had and wanted it again.

We normally don't eavesdrop, but everyone was saying out loud how much they enjoyed their meals.

My only negative comment is that our waitress sort of disappeared on us a couple of times. A few times my husband was low on tea and then after she gave us our check, it was a while before she came back and asked if she had closed us out yet.

We look forward to returning and trying out some more of the items on the menu.