“Warning to Greune TX....GREAT food is no longer 17 miles away!!!”

Gennaro's Trattoria
Ranked #1 of 64 Restaurants in Canyon Lake
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated, Gennaro's Trattoria serves authentic Italian cuisine, originating from Naples, Italy, made from fresh ingredients. Gennaro's Trattoria's motto is "che mangia bene, vive bene" or, "who eats well, lives well." We invite you to enjoy and enrich your life by dining with us.
“Warning to Greune TX....GREAT food is no longer 17 miles away!!!”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Gristmill, Greune River Grill, Huisatche Grill, etc...you're good, but I won't be seeing you as much as I used to. If anyone reading this is like me...and you drive a couple of hours to your lake retreat at Canyon Lake, the last thing we want to do is start cooking. We want to relax. So, let's watch the sunset on our deck, then go out to eat a good meal. In the past, it's' BACK in the car and off to Greune or New Braunfels (30 miles round trip). Well, NO MORE! Gennaros is on the South side of the lake! Thank you Thank you!!! So we visited Gennaro's...after our 3rd try in a month, we decided to put our name on the long list...yes, the wait is long....(but so is a round trip to Greune)
So, we sat at the tiny bar and ordered a bottle of Acacia Pinot Noir (a very decent Pinot), and an appetizer from the owner's son, Armando. He was very busy but was personable and had a great attitude. We loved the food and fresh baked break...so, we ordered another appetizer! We observed the owners,...The Mom is running things, Son is serving and smiling,and there's Dad, in his chef whites (originally from Naples Italy I understand) and he's spinning and tossing pizza dough...it's a beautiful thing. About an hour and we get our table, but we were loving where we were too! We had a nice pizza for dinner! Great job!
I'm quite surprised some reviews are whining about service.... I mean, opening in January, how dare they have be PERFECT in March. Give me a break..... For goodness sakes people, you're on the edge of civilization out there! If you want the 'spoiled rotten service', go back to the city. For the demand this place is seeing (ike a downtown restaurant) I think they are doing a very admirable job!
Back to our visit...The place has a great atmosphere...you'll enjoy a VERY reasonably priced menu, and it's not an Italian restaurant 'wanna be'. The attention to detail in the decor of the place is awesome compared to ANYTHING I've seen that's NOT in a big city...check out the details in the furniture pieces, the wine 'room', painted ceilings, the walls. And a bigger surprise is the WINE is reasonably priced for good choices. So, if you want the "Greune-like" quaint town experience, then visit Gennaro's... put your name on the list and sit and wait... just like Greune... But it's gonna be worth it, AND NO LONG DRIVE BACK to the lake! BRAVO GENNARO, ECCELENTE!

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank Justthere

“Best restaurant at Canyon Lake”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

As a local resident and a person who doesn't like Italian Food they have found a way to please even me. Since they opened a few months ago the place has been constantly full to capacity and reservations are a must. Wine list is excellent, service is great, atmosphere is above average they have done wonders improving the appearance of this long time restaurant location. As one of the guests invited to their pre opening I knew most of the people attending that event no one was disappointed. Been back twice since then so the great service was not just for the event. Try it you will like it there will always be detractors who complain about something but reviews are consistantly positive.

• Visited February 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“A couple of hits, a few misses”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Gennaro's Trattoria is the latest in a newly renovated location that's easily found in the Canyon Lake area. We visited upon the recommendation of the owner of the B & B where we stayed. The restaurant was quite busy, considering we were there in the middle of a weekday afternoon.

The positives of our visit: The soup and pasta dish ordered by my husband was excellent as was the salad we shared. The bread, hot from the oven, was wonderful as well. The prices were extremely reasonable. Additionally, there are whole-wheat pasta options and -- glory be! -- a gluten-free pasta available as well. (Why they have to charge $2 extra for that option is a mystery, however.)

A couple of things lowered my enthusiasm: First, our waitress was a bit odd. I had to ask about the specials twice because she confused the dishes in her descriptions -- probably because she was speaking so fast and seemed a bit distracted. This situation, coupled with trying to substitute the gluten-free pasta (which can be done in any dish), caused me to chuck the whole pasta thing and I decided to order cioppino instead. The waitress indicated that it was "made to order" (?), which made me wonder about the other dishes. At any rate, it was delivered piping hot (as was my husband's pasta), and the soup itself was delicious and flavorful, obviously made with fresh tomatoes. Unfortunately, cioppino lives or dies by its seafood, and here the dish fell very flat. The shrimp, scallops (or should I say "scallop," because there was only one), and fish were tough and dry, cooked in the soup WAY too long. In addition, one mussel still had a few grains of sand and frankly, crunching on sand pretty much spoiled the taste of the soup.

The other downside was that when our dishes were delivered the waitress offered to return with fresh grated parmesan, however she never made it back. We could have flagged her down, as she was grating at other tables, but we decided to just watch and see if she'd eventually remember us. She didn't.

My husband's meal was good and by the looks of the dishes at tables near us, the food at Gennaro's is pretty solid. I was very disappointed, however, in my own choice, which should not have had the problems it had.

• Visited March 2012
Canyon Lake, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Finally a good restaurant on the south side of the lake! My husband and I have gone several times and we are never disappointed. The homemade bread is delicious and the salad is very fresh. The only thing I wish is for a bit more variety on the menu, but all the entrees we have tried have been excellent. Definitely tastes made from scratch and authentically Italian. The waitstaff is also very friendly and attentive. It tends to get pretty crowded so we recommend making reservations but it's definitely worth the wait!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Kristen R
Canyon Lake, Texas
“Horrible”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We went to Gennaro;s Trattoria for lunch last week. The waitress was pleasant enough - however she got both my order and my wife's order completely wrong - neither of us received what we ordered and the situation was not corrected - the manager should have come out to talk with us, but he never did. The bread and salad were fine - however our entree of crab filled jumbo shrimp was absolutely horrible - both myself and my wife got sick. I also believe this restaurant is very overpriced for the Canyon Lake area.

• Visited March 2012