“Great Jeep tour of Palo Duro Canyon”
Review of Elkins Ranch

Elkins Ranch
Ranked #12 of 18 things to do in Canyon
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This Jeep tour comes with a very knowledgable guide and very cute Jeeps, painted like spotted cows. There are three tours offered, 1 hour, 2+hours, and 3 hours. When we went in May, the 3 hour trip was not available because of a flash flood that washed out the road. However the 2 1/2 hour tour was wonderful. Our guide grew up in Amarillo, and has worked on the Elkins Ranch for a long time. Both ladies were very accomodating and very nice. Our guide stopped each time we saw something to take a picture of, and there were plenty of photo ops !Make sure to add this to your itinerary as a lot of the history is not discussed with other tours, including the horseback and just driving around the park in the canyon. Lots safer, too, than the horse tours !

7  Thank Goldilocks0613
"blast"
in 3 reviews
"birds"

Reviewed May 2, 2012

If you are looking for a jeep ride, cattle drive or early morning breakfast, this is your place. I highly recommend for someone looking for the western experience

3  Thank Tresa M
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My father is very knowledgeable on Native American history and knows the story of the Palo Duro Indian battle, so naturally a tour of the canyon was a must. When I discovered Elkins Ranch and their tours I knew it would be worth it. We booked the 3 hour tour. We were the only tour going that morning which was nice. Our guide was very knowledgeable on the canyon history, flora and fauna. She had been with the ranch for 15 years. Even though the roads became a little scary (steep inclines and declines), I could tell she was proficient in operating the vehicle and could probably drive it with her eyes closed! The SUVs have been painted the most adorable colors and given names to represent family members of the Elkin's ranch. Naturally being vehicles used for rugged terrain, they show some stress, but were perfect for navigating the canyon. I would highly suggest going on the jeep tour or if in the company of 40 others--doing the Western Nights program. That looks fun!

11  Thank Elissa V
Reviewed January 19, 2012

The graded roads used by the jeeps were definitely below standard. I felt like we might tip over. The breakfast was good, but unless roads are re-built, I wouldn't go again.

2  Thank Texaspainter
See more reviews
Reviewed October 14, 2011

After having read some of the reviews, I was a bit skeptical about making a reservation for the two-hour tour. But I did; and the gate was open at 8:45 a.m. and the driver was at the ready. And we had a great experience! Our driver was a gentleman in his 70s who was a bit quirky, but that honestly added to the adventure. As did the vehicle. We enjoyed the 5 mph tour down into the bottom of the canyon much more than exploring Palo Duro via our car and on foot immediately after. The guide stopped the Jeep on several occasions so we could get out and soak in the vista. I'm not sure how much of what the guide told us was true, but it sure was entertaining.

6  Thank Travelers-R-US-246

Been to Elkins Ranch? Share your experiences!