“The perfect place for a horseback ride”

Palo Duro Riding Stables
Ranked #4 of 18 things to do in Canyon
More attraction details
Owner description: The finest and the friendliest since 1962, Palo Duro Riding Stables was the first riding stable established in and around Palo Duro Canyon. One of the canyon's best kept secrets, come ride under some of the oldest and largest cottonwoods in the panhandle water your horse from spring water coming right out of the canyon wall. Family owned and operated for over 50 years, our wranglers are knowledgeable and friendly, upholding true southern hospitality. The perfect opportunity to get together in the great outdoors, enhance your family vacation with a trail ride. No age limit! (Smaller children can ride with a parent. Some restrictions apply.) Don't forget to bring your camera!
Amarillo, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The perfect place for a horseback ride”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I have been to Palo Duro Riding Stables many times over the years, and it is always a great treat. Everyone is so friendly and ready to provide you with a wonderful experience. You are always paired with a horse that suits your abilities, the ride is through beautiful scenery, and you can't help but feel completely at peace during your visit! This establishment is well-run and definitely worth a visit! The knowledgeable tour guides and well-cared for horses always make you feel right at home. This is definitely a favorite Panhandle attraction of mine, just for myself or with my entire family (my 2-year old is a BIG fan)!

Visited June 2014

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Enjoyable riding”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Reasonable rates and great folks who really know how to match rider to horse. Interesting trails with a gentle breeze and blooming cacti. Recommend this for the novice or more experienced riders. Will be coming back of a longer ride later. Hope to hear more about the canyon history.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Cheryl R
Prosper, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Memorable time an great ride with Jesse and his posse”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We took our 5 year old grandson on his first horse back ride in Palo Duro Canyon. We had a great time. I highly recommend Jesse and the Palo Duro Riding Stables.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Sharmie A
Spring, Texas, United States
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A great ride in Palo Duro Canyon”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Jesse and crew have a very nice operation. Professional, but laid back at the same time. Very personable, and they take you into a different part of the canyon than you'll see in the state park. Well-mannered horses, good for any level of experience. Would definitely ride with them again.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Darren W
Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“THE highlight of our four day trip”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We were staying in Palo Duro Canyon for Spring Break, and prior to the trip I contacted the riding stables in the state park and PDRS down the road from the park. The phone contact with Kristin had me sold before I even got a call back from the other riding stable. She was personable, patient, and kind and did not hesitate to get a time that worked for us.

When we arrived, everyone was so friendly to our entire family and you could tell this was going to be an amazing experience. The owner 'interviewed' each of us about our experiences to determine which horses were best for each of us. For some of our inexperienced riders in the group, there was a stair case to assist in getting on the horse. Every detail has been thought out at Palo Duro Riding Stables.

Throughout the ride, Jesse, the owner, shared personable stories about the property, growing up there, continuing the legacy of his father, and sharing about the wildlife and terrain around the area. He shared funny stories about some of the horses, and their little habits and behaviors. These horses appear to be truly loved by him and his crew.

Half way through the ride we stopped and the crew got the horses together to take a family picture for us (so bring your camera!) Jesse went out of his way, taking several pictures, to ensure we had a photo we liked.

At the end of our hour long ride, we got off the horses and the kids (two tens and a teen) hung around playing with the dogs and talking with the other guys who also led our group. They had another appointment right after ours, but there was clearly no rush on their part for us to leave. In fact, we stayed visiting until the next family arrived.

I truly do not know what would have happened if we booked our reservation at the riding stables in the park instead of PDRS, maybe that experience would have been equal. But the thing about Palo Duro Riding Stables is you get an amazing ride, an amazing education on the area, and you walk away feeling like you've met some really really cool people and made some new friends!

Cannot recommend Jesse and his team high enough for the perfect family experience. On the drive back home, two days later the kiddos were still talking about the experience and telling stories to each other of what they remembered about their individual horses.

As far as the cost ... my husband and I had to discuss this before our trip because for five of us it was a bit of money. It was worth every dollar, and I had I known what experience we were going to have I would have not even questioned my husband about the expense. Well, well worth it for memories our kids will remember forever!

Visited March 2014