“Hiking”

Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Canyon
More attraction details
Owner description: A dramatic 60-mile long and 800-foot deep canyon noted for its excellent hiking, birding, fishing and mountain biking.
Reviewed November 7, 2013

WOW !!!!! my first trip here and I hope not my last I don't have to many words to describe how I felt. Small like an ant in the in the vast expanse of this great universe. they have camping areas, and years old cow cabins to stay in, and multiple hiking trails, and the view well there are no words for that at all. you just must see to believe.

3  Thank JuanitaRidgway
There are newer reviews for Palo Duro Canyon State Park

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a beautiful canyon, especially for West Texas - being so flat. Make sure you stop at the visitor's center and look around, and then when you drive down into the canyon, you can stop and look around in the amphitheatre - which is pretty neat also. We also stopped along the road (not sure where it is) and did just a short 15 min hike up into a cave that you can see from the road. We were not expecting to hike, but it was nice to get out and stretch your legs and get the more outdoorsy feel.

2  Thank nii92002
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We ended up at Palo Duro in the afternoon on a meandering road trip through the Texas Plains. I hoped beyond hope that one of the stone cottages, built in the Civilian Conservation Core era, I'd read about would be available for that night's lodging. But, alas, no. If you can rent one of these ahead of time, I'm sure the night stars would be a wonderful sight! The canyon obviously has its local devotees who have written books and poetry describing the beauty and solitude of the farther out nooks and side canyons of this large, sprawling canyon lands. For someone who is jaded by the grandiose geography of the vast Mountain West and has seen many, many canyons, I can't rave as rapturously as I'm sure Texans can about this canyon. It was beautiful and I know for sure that its beauty cannot possibly be totally assessed in one afternoon. We took a short hike along a ridge jutting out into the main canyon and enjoyed observing the various geologic layers of colorful earth. Below us was the very large amphitheater where Western shows are performed in prime tourist season. This is not something we are interested in. We enjoyed the drive through the canyon bottom where it crosses a stream a number of times and we were happy to see water still flowing during this drought. The low, early Fall sunlight filtering through the riparian areas was delightful

2  Thank freebajaAZ
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely breathtaking canyon, in the Texas Panhandle! Beyond the beauty, lies many historic sites & interests. Had no idea this canyon would be such an interesting & fun place to visit's And the camping was great...great weather threre- also.

1  Thank rgjames006
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Crowded, part of loop drive was closed. Enjoyed the drive & could see the overall view of the canyon better on Hwy 207 south of Claude.

2  Thank Kathy P