“"TEXAS" the outdoor stage play”

Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Canyon
More attraction details
Owner description: A dramatic 60-mile long and 800-foot deep canyon noted for its excellent hiking, birding, fishing and mountain biking.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

when visiting China my sister-in-law treated us to an outdoor play that was set in the mountains. She came to Texas to visit so I wanted to "show her the Texas spirit" as they say and what bettet way than take her to Palo Duro Canyon to see the outdoor play "TEXAS" set of course in the canyon. I booked our tickets on line in May so had ample choice of seat choice. I picked row F which was wonderful but would go two or three rows higher up if going again. The play is center stage plus events on both sides which had us turning our heads quite often. two rows back would have been great, still able to see and hear everything. We took the back stage tour which was driven not walking, great! and we ate the dinner before, wonderful food. Be advised it's hot in July so dress light and expect to be warm. parking was no problem and we drove out with ease considering the amount of cars.I really doubt there is a bad seat but center just above row F is a perfect choice. The show started promptly at 8:30pm and under the huge Texas sky I can only say that my sister-in-law was really impressed with the music and dancing and she loved the children in the show. No photos during the show but meet the cast afterward.

17  Thank sandy r
Write a ReviewReviews (1,704)

Reviewed July 20, 2012

It was easy to navigate. Well worth the admission price.

My friend was unable to walk (injury) so we took the horse back ride.

2  Thank Pkrekeler
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My family and I made the trip up from San Antonio to see the canyon, it was beautiful. We all decided that since we were there we might as well see the play we heard so much about from the locals. After sitting through the majority of the pleasant performance it turned into some kind of nazi flag worship of the american flag where they read the "declaration of independence", lit the canyon with a huge American flag, and said the pledge of allegiance. The canyon is great but I would advise skipping the play or at least leaveing early.

6  Thank Tdupon
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Defn a good stop to make if your in the Amarillo area or enroute to CO for summer vacation. Beautiful rock formations that you can see from your car and good hiking options as well.

4  Thank Steve S
Reviewed July 14, 2012

You don't expect to find canyons like this in Texas after you've been riding across the plains for days. The park is well maintained and easy to navigate in your car. The Visitor's Center was a great stop with friendly, helpful, staff. They can really help direct you to the best viewing sites. If you decide to visit the canyon don't miss the Texas Musicial!! A great way to finish your visit to the Canyon. It provides a great history lesson for this area of Texas and finishes with a great tribute to America! Very, very, well done with a huge fireworks display at the end. We were so glad we decided to visit Amarillo and the Palo Duro State Park.

7  Thank ddandgma