“Summer vacation ”

Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum Admission
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Canyon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We’re a museum dedicated to one thing: the history of the Panhandle-Plains region. But that singular focus expresses itself in a multitude of ways. Inside PPHM, themed exhibitions include those that showcase paleontology, archaeology, textiles, classic cars, petroleum, the Old West and a renowned art collection. PPHM offers visitors a chance to step into history with a life-size Pioneer Town, interactive Don D. Harrington Petroleum Wing, guided group tours and special events. With over two million artifacts, of which only a small percentage are on display, visitors marvel at the vast array of objects we showcase.
Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

We spent 4 hours touring and missed a little because of old knees
I read reviews and made this part of our last day before an 11 hour drive home the next day. There is really so much to see here, and definitely fun for all ages! I lived the little pioneer town that is set up inside and could have spent more time there.
Definitely a must do if you're in the area.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"old west"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed July 6, 2017

Visited, years ago, and found the museum to be even better than I remembered.

Being the largest historical museum in Texas, PPHP offers art, exhibits on local history, the oil business, the cattle business, historical figures... Well, hopefully you get the idea, something to interest almost everyone.

I especially enjoyed seeing some personal items belonging to Charles Goodnight, one of the founders of the Goodnight, Loving-Trail which ran from Texas to Fort Sumner, New Mexico, and eventually to Colorado.

Admission is ten dollars; money well spent.

Reviewed July 6, 2017

This is, after just my second visit, spread a dozen years apart, ..my favorite museum in our great state. Save at least an hour for your visit, and I would recommend about 90 minutes. The paintings on the top floor are a real treasure and the "Pioneer Town" with its depictions and artifacts from virtually any imaginable shop or store that would've been part of an Old West town, is excellent. Enjoy.

Reviewed July 1, 2017 via mobile

This museum was more than we could take in at once. We may have to return someday to see the rest! Very well done eclectic mix of history and art. We had to skip some sections, but were impressed by the local oil exploration story, WWI displays, and my husband enjoyed the gun collection. Beautiful basket collection,also.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 24, 2017

My only regret is not budgetting enough time to see this museum. Every time I thought a had seen all the displays, I turned a corner into somthing new. Very well done and engaging displays covering the full history of the area. Well worth the stop!

Stephanie P, Public Relations Manager at Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2017

Hello Allison,
We are so glad you had a great time at PPHM. Thank you for your visit and we hope to see you again soon.
-Stephanie, PPHM Marketing Director