“best attraction in the Amarillo area”

Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum
Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum Admission
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Canyon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Dubbed the largest history museum in Texas, visitors are wowed by the more than three million artifacts pertaining to the vivid past of the Panhandle region. Exhibits explore subjects such as Western heritage, paleontology and fine arts.
Amarillo, Texas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“best attraction in the Amarillo area”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is a 1st class museum. The collection is huge. Exhibits are interactive and fun for all ages. Love pioneer town, the windmill area and the cars. Make sure to have several hours to complete the whole museum.

Visited March 2013

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Panhandle Gem”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We go here quite often and enjoy it so much. They have completely redone their pioneer town.

The museum is self guide and there is quite a bit of reading involved. Not a great museum for small children but enough to look at that you could keep them entertained in small doses.

Geelong, Australia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Totally unexpected in a small town - FANTASTIC!!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We expected the usual small town -"in an out in an hour" type museum. Three hours later, there was still more to see, but we had to leave. The $10.00 entry is very reasonable to view the extensive collection and the video presentations. The whole Panhandle Plains history is covered, with very well thought out displays providing an insight into the lives of the pioneers, as well as the Indians before them. Extensive displays on windmills, farm machinery, oil exploration, etc.
A coffee shop would have been the icing on the cake!

Watauga, Texas
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Way more than we expected!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I admit I am a museum nerd, and rarely pass a museum without stopping, no matter where I am going. However, my family does not share that interest. I had to almost drag them into the Panhandle Plains Museum. The $10 per person cost didn't help, either, and it was before lunch when we arrived with hunger pangs just beginning.

However, once inside, my family of adult children (all in their early 20's) scattered, and everyone found something to get excited about.
* My daughter, the foodie, was fascinated with the Native American section entitled, "Putting Food on the Table" which outlined how food was procured and prepared in Native Texas societies.
* My fashionista daughter was enamored by the vintage clothes.
* My artist daughter liked the western art exhibits.
* My husband liked the antique cars.
* I found the oil and gas exploration exhibits informational, as I have dealt with our neighborhood's oil and gas leasing coalition.

While I had no small children with me, there were plenty of hand-on activities in every exhibit to entertain the shortest attention spans.

This museum covered three floors, with multiple exhibit halls on every floor....natural history, prehistoric history, Texas history, western art history, architecture - a reconstructed "town" that took up half a floor, transportation history, fashion, military history, oil and gas drilling history.

After two hours we were all hungry and tired, but had barely "run through" all the exhibits. The nice staff directed us to a nearby restaurant, when we inquired. While having a late lunch, the family admitted they had enjoyed the museum much more than they had expected. Everyone had found something that fascinated them, and made them glad they went. Being an indoor museum was also good, as it was windy and cold outside with snow in the shadowy areas. (February16)

Tip: Go when you are fully rested, well fed, and have plenty of time to explore. Two hours is a MINIMUM time. After our trip, the $10 per person price seemed like a real bargain.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank actressteacher
Flagstaff, Arizona
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Fabulous”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We went in expecting a quick one-hour museum visit and came away three hours later completely blown away. We did not even get to all the wings. Not only was the museum comprehensive and thorough but so many of the displays used great imagination in the ways they showed the knowledge. This is really a 2 or 3 visit museum.

Oh...one thing that could have been better: More/closer parking. Because it's on the college campus, all the parking nearby is used up by the students. You can park down the street at the arena and a shuttle will take you to the museum. We did not know that so we parked three blocks away with our motorhome.

1 Thank Lastrick