“A pleasant surprise”

Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum Admission
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Canyon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We’re a museum dedicated to one thing: the history of the Panhandle-Plains region. But that singular focus expresses itself in a multitude of ways. Inside PPHM, themed exhibitions include those that showcase paleontology, archaeology, textiles, classic cars, petroleum, the Old West and a renowned art collection. PPHM offers visitors a chance to step into history with a life-size Pioneer Town, interactive Don D. Harrington Petroleum Wing, guided group tours and special events. With over two million artifacts, of which only a small percentage are on display, visitors marvel at the vast array of objects we showcase.
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I must say I didn't expect much when I first heard about this museum. My apologies to Canyon for such low expectations.

This museum is huge! I think there are three levels but we were only able to get through two of them. LOTS of walking. Plenty of exhibits on the panhandle area and its development over the years. Oil & Gas exhibit, guns, buffalo, ranching, dinosaurs, the CCC construction of Palo Duro Canyon SP. All were covered and covered well. There's even a "Texas town" under the roof too. Some of the buildings were original. I'd recommend a stop there to anyone that's passing through the area.

There are newer reviews for Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Great museum! Much more to see than expected and my kids had a blast. 3 and under are free. 3 levels of assorted. Pioneer town on the backside was the best part. Well worth a visit if in the area.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Saw the Colt exhibit and very informative museum. more than enough things to see while your there this place is huge. Wear your walking shoes

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was so much more impressed with the museum than I thought I would be. Two stories of history and so much detail. I'm so glad that I didn't miss this museum.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My grandson loves all the animal and old west town, we thought it was pretty great too. The best history musem, you can learn a lot about Texas history.