“great”

Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Canyon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We’re a museum dedicated to one thing: the history of the Panhandle-Plains region. But that singular focus expresses itself in a multitude of ways. Inside PPHM, themed exhibitions include those that showcase paleontology, archaeology, textiles, classic cars, petroleum, the Old West and a renowned art collection. PPHM offers visitors a chance to step into history with a life-size Pioneer Town, interactive Don D. Harrington Petroleum Wing, guided group tours and special events. With over two million artifacts, of which only a small percentage are on display, visitors marvel at the vast array of objects we showcase.
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My grandson loves all the animal and old west town, we thought it was pretty great too. The best history musem, you can learn a lot about Texas history.

All reviews
"great art"
"interactive displays"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed August 18, 2012

This museum is worth the trip! There is a lot of history. I have never heard anyone say that they did not enjoy it. Price is very cheap for everything they have. You may rent the place for events as well. If you are in the area you must visit!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Largest Historical Museum in Texas. Make sure you have plenty of time to see it all. It is quite big.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

The best exhibit of the oil industry anywhere. Very interesting history of development of the oil industry in Borger.
A really good geological display of the High Plains and the ogalla aquifer
An extensive history of the development of the Wild West -- cowboys and Indians
Last but not least a fantastic art collection as well as fashion and furniture. Works by my favorite artist. FECHIN Plan at least 1/2 day and don't miss it.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

After reading the reviews for this museum, I added it to our trip home to the Houston area from Philmont Scout Ranch, and boy am I glad I did!
For the 3 "adults" and 2 kids for which I was paying, the cost was only $40. We arrived 1.5 hours before closing and everyone agreed we needed at least 3 hours to really do the place justice.
The entry is unassuming, with some interesting exhibits, but no real "wow" moments for me or the kids until we got to the oil rig room. WOW! I don't want to say so much as to spoil it, but it was VERY impressive.
After that, we began to notice intricate details that made this museum stand out. It appears that many of the pieces shown are shown as they were provided to the museum, with little or no attempt to restore the item. It really brought out the age of the piece and reinforced the idea that you were stepping back in time.
From petroleum engineering, to archeology, to geology, and more, this place has the sciences that tell the story of the Texas panhandle down. Being a native Texan, even I learned a lot from this place.
You MUST visit the pioneer town section. It is very interesting for us older visitors and a bunch of fun for the little ones.
The museum even had a scavenger hunt for the little ones to find stuff all over the place.
Don't get me started about how incredible the firearms section was.
If you are in the area - and I mean anywhere near the area - you owe it to yourself to see this gem.