“Decent Hotel, convenient for Palo Duro”

Holiday Inn Express Canyon
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Canyon
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Fairly ordinary hotel but it does the job. We had some problem with key cards not working; suppose this could happen anywhere.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 27, 2009

This was a nice, quiet, clean hotel that takes pets...one of the reasons we chose. The other reason was its excellent proximity to Palo Duro Canyon...only a few miles down the road. One unexpected bonus was the Pan American Plains Museum next door with parts of it's displays bordering the hotel property. We enjoyed walking our dog while looking at interesting early farm machinery. The hotel offers a nice hot breakfast, not simply cereal and milk. An excellent value all around.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We treated our family to a room with a suite. It was especially spacious and the kids loved the jacuzzi tub! They preferred playing in it versus going to the indoor swimming pool. The beds and linens were comfy; the room was tidy and clean. Our room overlooked a college campus. The hotel is about a 15-minute drive to Palo Duro Canyon.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This is my 2nd stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Canyon, TX. It's a great spot for those who are planning time at Palo Duro Canyon. The rooms are clean and large. We had a small refrigerator and microwave in a kitchenette area. The hotel was quite quiet both stays. Breakfast is the usual US-chain continental fare - not stellar but adequate. The woman over-seeing the breakfast area this stay was very pleasant and helpful. Free wi-fi was nice.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I can't really complain about this place, except that the prices seem pretty high to me. But considering that's what all of the chains in Canyon charge, I suppose they are competitive. The room was very clean and it was obviously new. We were only staying there for its proximity to Palo Duro Canyon and, for this purpose, it was great. The front desk staff was very professional. What impressed me the most is this -- I had a reservation to stay there one night on our return trip, but we ended up having to stop several hours before we reached Amarillo and I did not cancel my reservation. I had secured it w/ a cc and I was sure I was just going to have to eat the no-show charge. But they didn't charge me for it! So, for that reason, they get a higher rating from me. Perfectly adequate lodging in Canyon.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Since I have a child who is active in the music dept at West Texas A&M,
I make about 4-6 trips to Canyon
every year and always stay at HI Express. Many of the staff members have
been there awhile and they are truly keen in making your stay a good one.
Small town hospitality. Good parking, well lit. Indoor pool.
Rooms are nice...some with a fridge and microwave.
Rooms are clean and well appointed and I have never been disappointed.
Dependable breakfast and they are there to assist.
I will stay there again and again!
(Although sometimes it is booked during summers as tour groups
come to see the musical Texas at Palo Duro Canyon)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2009

I have driven across the panhandle from South Texas to northern states like CO and UT for 7 years now. I have stayed at numerous places in the panhandle to find a few hours sleep before hitting the road again. I've tried places in Lubbock, Abilene, Childress and Dallas, but came across this hotel in Canyon literally by accident. For 7 years in our random visits, we have stayed there 4 times and each time it's been clean, quiet, very friendly, and I feel safe there (something I can't say about our experiences in Lubbock). It's a great place to crash on a road trip. The first time I stayed there I paid about $80, this most recent visit we paid $109 (getting a bit high for the quality in my book). As long as they don't go up anymore, we will be back.

Two of our stays in the hotel were with our two large dogs and the staff was very helpful ($25 pet fee for having the dogs, but this isn't bad for 2 big dogs). If more hotels had the same pet policy, then we would likely have more for comparison, but this is by far the cleanest, friendliest, and cheapest hotel we can find that allows multiple large dogs. NOTE to dog owners: ALWAYS clean up after your pet, never leave them unattended in the room, or let them bark out of control; this ensures the hotel won't ban pets from the hotel and allow responsible travellers to continue using a nice facility. Please don't ruin it for the rest of us.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Vick31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canyon
Best Western Palo Duro Canyon Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West
Comfort Suites South -- Amarillo
Home2 Suites By Hilton Amarillo
Drury Inn & Suites Amarillo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canyon? Share your experiences!