“Great location for Palo Duro Canyon”

Holiday Inn Express Canyon
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Canyon
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a super hotel in a great location, just a staight 12 mile line to Palo Duro Canyon. And after your visit to the canyon, why not have a swim in the hotel swimming pool? Ideal in this hot summer weather. The hotel itself is spotlessly clean with the excellent amenities one would expect from this internationally recognised hotel chain. The staff are friendly and helpful. I especially like the homemade cookies and snacks put out in the aftenoon! The pillows are marked 'firm' or 'soft' which is something I've never come across in any other hotels. Wonderful night's sleep too.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Oakworthgirl

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I checked into the Holiday Inn Express Canyon on the 23rd of May with reservations to stay the 23rd and 24th. Found the staff and the room to be completely satisfactory upon check in. Went and enjoyed Palo Duro Canyon but was very disappointed that the rains caused all but 1/4 of the canyon to be closed. It continued to rain so I decided to check out early since the canyon would still not be open the following day. Checked out at about 8:00 a.m. The morning of the 24th. The clerk very kindly did not charge a fee for the late cancellation. After about 3-4 hours on the road to Taos, I realized that I had left my expensive camera in the room on a shelf under the television set. I called the hotel and a very nice clerk named Kayla answered. I told her what I had done and she assured me that she would immediately send housekeeping to look for it. I was very happy when she called back and said that they found the camera where I left it and also a bottle of laundry detergent!! Since there was an upcoming holiday (Memorial Day) I decided to have them ship it to my home instead of to Taos and instructed Kayla to charge my credit card for the cost of shipping. On Wednesday the 28th I called back to the hotel to confirm that the camera had been shipped Nd was told by the clerk that it had gone out Tuesday. Called my husband and told him to be on the lookout for it at home. On that Friday (yesterday) I called yet again as he had not received it and was told it had gone out THAT DAY.... FRIDAY THE 30th of May... By this time, it has been six days since I was told they had the camera and it had not gone out until that day when I had been told it was shipped three days prior. Saturday morning, I felt that perhaps my camera had not ever been mailed and had perhaps found a new home. I called the hotel back Saturday (today) morning at 6:41am and reached the "night audit clerk". He was pleasant and I told him that I must speak to the manager of the hotel TODAY. He assured me he would leave a message for the manager. At 9:00am, I had still heard nothing from the hotel and I called again. At this time I reached Kayla once again. She assured me that she would have the manager call me. I told Kayla that I wanted to know 1) The name if the person who mailed the camera, 2) a copy of the receipt from the post office for the shipping of the camera and 3) when the camera was mailed. And that I wanted to speak to the manager. She took the information and said she would also try to find out some information for me. She said the manager should be in by 11:00am. No kidding...... At 2:00pm, I CALLED THE HOTEL AGAIN. Again, Kayla answered the telephone and when asked, she said that she had mentioned to manager that she needed to call me. The next thing she knew the manager had left the property..... At this point I told Kayla that my next call would be to the Canyon Police Department to report the camera stolen.

That's what I did.... The officer was very professional and courteous. He went and spoke to the employee on duty and called me back. His investigation had discovered that the package with my camera was STILL AT THE HOTEL. Why on earth would they (different people both times) tell me on two different occasions that it had been mailed when it was still sitting there?? I think that the handling of this manner by the management of this hotel has been completely unprofessional. I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM THE HOTEL REGARDING THIS MATTER. I will be updating this review when/if I ever hear from them and when/if I ever receive my camera. But at this point, I can not recommend this hotel AT ALL. This review could have been very different if the manager/staff had just done what they had told me they were going to do.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank remuda1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear remuda1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding our hotel. It is regrettable that this stay was not 100% satisfactory

We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Stayed here during a trip to Palo Duro Canyon. The staff is what makes this a great place to stay. The room is pretty standard. Yes, I like the choice of firm or soft pillows, the bed was comfy, the bathroom was clean, the tv worked...but the friendly greeting we got & the check out person asked "Hope you got coffee & fruit for the road..." this is what makes the hotel stand out. Before hiking all day, we were able to eat PROTEIN, something greatly lacking at a lot of free breakfast hotels. This breakfast was great; had variety to satisfy any traveler. I would recommend that you stay here & I would definitely stay here on a return visit!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Carolyn w
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We are in a jacuzzi suite, three rooms really, a living/dining area, a bedroom with a comfy king bed , and a separate room with a large jacuzzi. All the rooms have televisions. The only uncomfortable piece of furniture was the couch. We had to wait for flooding to subside at Palo Duro canyon so I am so glad we got this room to relax in. Staff friendly, area very quiet, not a bargain but a very nice room!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I would highly recommend staying at this hotel. The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. Our room was very clean and I loved that they had two sets of pillows to choose from- soft and firm!
The breakfast in the morning was great and plenty to choose from. We didn't get to swim but did check it out and it was very clean. (We had family staying at the hotel next door and their pool was so dirty they couldn't swim in it). Will stay again if we come back to Canyon.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I pre-paid my visit for a "special price". For a 4 night stay, I paid about $450.00. My credit card was billed in March. When I checked in on 4/9, they billed the entire amount AGAIN to my credit card without my authorization for the full amount. This is not the first time Holiday Inn has done this to me but IT WILL BE THE LAST! COMPLETE RIP OFF! The last time they did this to me, it took 4 weeks to get my money refunded.....bad, bad business practice.

Room Tip: Do not stay at a Holiday Inn Express unless you have money to burn!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank spiMcAllen
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear spiMcAllen,

Thank you for staying with us and for bringing this to our attention. We are very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 1, 2014

First, I must say that we usually stay with Hilton or Omni owned properties. For two very important reasons, first location, second consistent quality of service. Now, I can add Holiday Inn Express to the growing list of properties to consider when planning an overnight stay! The rooms quality was comparable to that of a Hampton Inn & Suites. Clean, well laid out floor plan with all the amenities travelers have come to expect. Their is only one thing that this Holiday Inn needs to improve upon and that is the breakfast. The variety of things to eat was a bit limited and what was available to eat was of average quality. It would be nice if they would offer breakfast meats and hash-browns. The two nights we where in town the hotel was completely booked and all things considered the staff did a great job of meeting the needs of their guest.

Room Tip: Be sure and eat at Fieldsman wrong way cafe. We had a group of 14 folks (teen's to seniors) and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canyon
Best Western Palo Duro Canyon Inn & Suites
Comfort Suites South -- Amarillo
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South
Sleep Inn & Suites West Medical Center
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West
Drury Inn & Suites Amarillo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canyon? Share your experiences!