“not a museum but good little restaurant”

Camp Verde General Store
More attraction details
Owner description: The general store is the only shop in town, but offers an interesting collection of items to buy.
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Excellent place for women to meet, eat and shop, but we went thinking it was a little museum. Restaurant looked good, but the line to dine there was too long for us (just was not interested in all the STUFF they had for sale while you wait for a table). Their expansion construction looks nice. They need it for the restaurant and hopefully will include a history wing for the interesting story of the Egyptian camels brought over in the 1850s to use for patrolling the arid surroundings keeping it safe for new settlers. Sorry, I am a woman who has outgrown shopping for stuff and have become more of a history buff as we travel the west from the east coast.

3  Thank Bonnie H
in 10 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 2 reviews

Reviewed December 19, 2011

Campe Verde Genral store and eatery is full of history. The food is great and there are plenty of items to see and buy. its a little out of the way, but we found it worth the side trip. breautiful ranches all around, and a private ranch with about 100 Buffalo or more nearby.. This was a part of Camp Verde Fort.

1  Thank Carol L T
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is a great place ... For your wife or girlfriend

I saw the picture of this place and thought I was going to an old general store. It may have been one once ... But now it is a store full of fancy soaps, crystals, decorative arts and potpourri

You can get a meal ... And your wife will spend hours here ... Other than that ... You will spend a lot of time staring at the ceiling

I give this place a good review ... Just not for me.

My wife ... Was quite happy

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Nothing more can be said-something for everyone. History and great food . Pre-civilwar, indian wars, Texas Ranger history, giftshop ,post office.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Last year, the wife and I had stopped at the Verde General Store. We passed it at about Mach 2 causing me to have to turn around and go back. The workers were cleaning out the basement at the time and the store wasn't all that much yet. The new owners were still getting a feel for their life to come. We had been streaking up, through and around the hills for a few days and my wheel chair lift was dragging bottom too often for my taste so I decided I'd unhitch and reset it before moving on. I feel pretty sure few of you have had the enjoyment of unloading a three hundred pound wheel chair and then trying to manage and maneuver a hundred pound wheel chair lift in the hundred degree heat of late May. It wouldn't be much fun for the Hulk I don' t think.
Fortunately, the Calvary arrived in the forms of the hands working at the Verde Ranch. Once they took over, I didn't get to touch anything, just occasionally point and grunt approval at the Lads work. One even got in his truck and ran down a drift pin since I was one short and changing the configuration required an additional one.
I have just returned from Verde General Store and am pleased to be able to log that it has come along nicely and there are many items in the store that are not just tourist hooks! I bought a really nice pair of reading glasses that I was in dire need of but had yet passed through any place that had a drug store much less reading glasses.
As I indicated before, I'm kind of beat up and wore out. So I have never been upstairs. I love the ambiance of the patio but some one has got to get a bar b que pit out there! I brought pork back, steaks, chicken and a couple of yards of boudain to repay the kids who had been so gracious to help me out last year. Unfortunately I think they were hard pressed at the time trying to do some serious ranch work.
I managed a few minutes with the Segundo, Mr. Rick Marks. I'm going to put him on the spot here, but I think he's up to my antics. If you're ever out that way and find yourself in a bind, you find Mark. He too is a former Marine and he'll see to it that you're well taken care of.....that is if he likes you!
Memorial Day was the seventh anniversary of my heart attack which should have killed me. I'm just to hard headed to lay down is all. I wanted to spend it with the people of Verde, kicked back, maybe a cold drink or three, meat on the pit and just socialize.
Unfortunately, Verde only recognizes four holidays a year.
I am going to do my best to reserve the patio at Verde this time next year for my anniversary party.
In the mean time, there is a lovely creek with a few geese with attitudes nestled up under the shade of some pecans trees that they've put a picnic table or two, some cooking pits and made a real comfortable place to waste an afternoon relaxing. There's a load of picnic tables up near the store that would accommodate a church bus full of travelers. The high point and beauty of the place to me, besides the people, is the magnificent patio they have here. who ever designed it did their job well and who ever put it together did them proud.
Rick is gonna have to get me a pit up on the patio and a hand or two to stand over it. Us heartless fellers don't do heat too well. It’s a nice place to take a good book and get lost in your own world.
Thinking on it, why don't you load up your favorite throw on the grill fixin's and come join me!
Maybe with a little luck, we can all meet at Verde next Memorial Day!

1  Thank ThePainKiller

Been to Camp Verde General Store? Share your experiences!