“Nice new Motel.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cameron
Dauphin, Canada
“Nice new Motel.”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

We stopped here on a trip South this month. The place served us very well. Easy check in, pet friendly for an additional fee and a nice comfortable room.
The included breakfast was the standard fare but was well stocked and everything was fresh.
Definitely recommended.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brenham, Texas
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Coming home the fog was so bad that we had to stop. Our family was very comfortable here. The room was clean, beds were comfy, and the owner was very nice. There was breakfast too. I even forgot my iPad and the housekeeper chased me into the parking lot to return it! What a friendly place!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hurst, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is the best property in town; in fact it’s virtually the only property in town. The other remaining brand owns both of the flea bag grade inns down the road, but one of them is boarded up. I’ve considered this inn before, and they have historically high rates. It’s pretty clear there is a little bit of a monopoly on rooms in Cameron, and they are charging 75% more than a similar size town and inn could get by with if there were competing brands. This place is just expensive, and the property and amenities do not support the asking price.

When I checked into this place, it was way too early, and they told me they could not help me until noon. I expected that having shown up at 8:00 AM. I came back at 11:40 and was quickly checked in by Mrs Bhataka, apparently the matriarch of the owning family. She speaks perfect English, but I’ll give anyone a warranty this family has immigrated from India somewhere. I don’t like the way America’s roadside inns are being bought up by foreign interests, and running them into the ground in many places. This inn does not show signs of neglected maintenance.

When I got into my very over priced room, the place was NICE. The bathroom is outfitted in fake marble, was perfectly clean, and in good shape. A room fitted for 4 guests got 4 bath towels, but only 2 wash cloths. Lots of inns seem to have a difficult time counting towels compared to the size of the sleeping room.
There were two dying bugs on the bath floor that looked like blister bugs, and a roach motel affixed to the floor behind the toilet. This is a clue that the innkeeper isn’t paying professional exterminators, attempting to rely on residential brands to control some kind of infestation – and it will not work. The dressing table is outside in the guest room area, leaving room for the Mr to bathe while the Mrs is getting herself ready. There’s a nice work space in the room with wired internet, or wireless, and lots of wall plugs, and a comfortable office chair, but broken and was stuck at the lowest setting. Sitting on two pillows worked around the problem.

As is the case with many inns from the worst to the best, this place has painfully slow bathtub drains. I don’t like standing in my own dirty bath water, and there’s no way to throttle back the water supply such that the drains are faster than the supply. They have anti-scald valves which leaves you with a choice of lower water volume at ice cold temps or standing in a bathtub full of unwanted dirty water. IF I wanted a bath, I wouldn’t have pulled the shower control. A nice long shower could result in a tub overflow, because the over flow drain isn’t any better than the one in the bottom – the problem is under the building. Given this place is privately owned, I’m unwilling to mess with asking them to fix it or move me. If moved, you could easily get a room that’s worse.

The room is fitted with an apartment refrigerator, a microwave oven, about a 30” flat screen TV and guest chairs. The closet had nice stuff to hold your baggage, and the room has two house phones – one by the bed, and one at the work desk. Lighting was a little dark for my liking, but I’m reaching the age where the eyes are starting to fail. A younger guest probably wouldn’t notice. Their breakfast bar was sorely lacking in choices, offering starchy foods, and hardly any protein. There were a few giblets of sausage in the gravy, but that was about the extent of it. They had 4 kinds of cereal, waffles, sweet breads, and the predictable breakfast beverages. For the rate they are charging, this should have lots more to choose from, and be much fresher too.

This is a Budget Host brand, and my past experiences with them leave me expecting the austere. I couldn’t classify this as austere, even though it’s lacking in a few areas. There’s no inn that’s perfect, and this one is acceptable grade, but way over priced for the market it’s in. The guests will get a feeling that this place is out to milk them for every dollar they can find. Just read the fine print on your room receipt. They intend to inventory the room and bill you for missing threads from the sheets. Heaven forbid what they may do were someone to accidentally pack a wash rag in with their belongings – sheesh! It’s clear at this inn that job one is to bill the customer. Everything else is secondary, including providing hospitality services. First, we have to find something to charge to the customer.

I can’t say if I’ll be back or not, but that’s only due to lack of choices. I don’t like the place or the attitude of the ownership. I would recommend it also noting that there’s little or nothing to choose from in this town. In a real world environment I wouldn’t recommend them, and I wouldn’t stay with them.

Room Tip: Go to the next town and get something reasonably priced.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Arnold_Ziffel
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Do not stay at this hotel unless you want to get to lose money. I was told at check out that the statement I was given was all I needed to pay. Yet when I got my credit card bill the amount was double what it was on the statement. When I called about it I was given the run around. I am trying to contact the main office but am having difficult getting the main number. I will never stay at any of the budget host inns and will certainly not recommend them to anyone.The service was also medicore at best.

Room Tip: don't choose this Inn
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Lee H
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2013

7/23-7/25-I stayed here last week on a business trip. Nice, clean hotel. There was what appeared to be a red stain on carpet in the room close to the sink...kinda creepy...I walked around in slippers and didn't step on that spot! Overall, stay was nice. Staff was friendly. A/C was great. Would stay again if necessary. Even though I didn't go to breakfast, the breakfast area appeared to be very nice and clean.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kelley4110
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We took a chance and decided to try Budget Host in Cameron,TX.What a great find . Everything that supposed to be there was there, the employees were very helpful and kind,food was great but the room was immaculate. We even checked the corners of bathroom and the entire room, not even dust. We had a good night rest and felt secure.We would return without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cameron, Texas
Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

The check in went fairly well. The room was nice. Not worth what I paided.

• Stayed May 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cameron
Rainbow Courts
Rainbow Courts
#1 of 4 in Rockdale
Americas Best Value Inn - Rockdale
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 4 in Rockdale

Been to Budget Host Inn & Suites Cameron? Share your experiences!