“Just average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Houston, Texas
“Just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

In this part of Texas the standard for BBQ is very high and this one is only average by that high standard. I had a 2 meat dinner. Quantity was good, the sides very good. Coleslaw was dressed well in a light dressing and the sliced buttered potatoes were very good. Sausage was quite spicy for what was described as un-spiced, and the brisket a wee bit dry but seasoned well with good smoke flavor.
Location is great in a gas station/truck stop with plenty of parking. Would I return? Yes.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Nashville, Tennessee
“Clem Mikeska's Pit Bar-B-Q (Cameron, TX)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I usually take a quick pit stop in Cameron when I'm on the road from Dallas to Schulenburg. This time, I decided to make it a true pit stop and sample Clem Mikeska's.

I asked the girl behind the counter what kind of breakfast sandwiches they had (I was hoping for a barbecue variety), since the menu didn't specify. She quickly informed me that they had already switched over from breakfast to lunch. Really? At 10:00? Even McDonald's doesn't start serving lunch until 10:30. Weird.

Despite my disappointment, I ordered a jalapeno sausage sandwich for the road. I got mine with no sauce, pickles, or onions since I planned on eating while I drove.

I had high hopes for this sandwich, but those hopes were quickly dashed by the mass produced grocery store bun. The sandwich certainly could have benefited from a homemade bun, both in terms of taste and aesthetic appeal. I'm sure there is a local bakery in Cameron willing to partner up with Clem.

The sausage had a nice snap and a fair amount of heat to it. I suppose all that cheddar cheese made my sandwich somewhat breakfasty. There was a good amount of pepper and just the right amount of salt, too. I would have preferred a little coarser grind on the meat, but the sausage was pretty tasty nonetheless.

I'd like to go back and see how their other barbecue selections measure up.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend

• Visited March 2013
Cameron, Texas
“Central Texas BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

The restaurant is part of the truck stop. my food cold. the server was rude. The price was some what fair for what we were served. I have been there twice. Both visits were pretty much the same.

1 Thank Musiciandave
New Mexico
“Good rural BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

While driving US 77 we stopped at the Shell gas station in Cameron for gas. Attached to the station's convenience store was Mikeska's Bar-B-Q and we went in because it was convenient. What a pleasant surprise. I had their cheese and jalapeño pork sausage with a side of buttered red potatoes. My spouse had their chopped beef (sirloin not brisket) with green beans. The meat and veggies were very good - but not as good as their just out of the oven white bread served with real butter. Normally we'll eat just one slice of bread with our meals but we pigged out and had five slices each. Some with just butter, the rest dipped in the slightly sweet and hot barbecue sauce.

• Visited October 2012