“Great option for hungry Hwy 6 travelers cravig a chili fix”

Zorro's Hideway Food Train
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Calvert
Reviewed November 30, 2015

Zorro's offers menu options influenced by southern New Mexico that are unique compared to other Hwy 6 options.

The lady who drives the kitchen and menu is from Albuquerque, New Mexico, so the influence is a blend of southern and northern New Mexico, with a stronger influence of the Hatch green chilies than the dried red chilies of the north.

My wife and I were each taking antibiotics for treating opportunistic infections as Thanksgiving approached. We decided that we just did not want to prepare Thanksgiving at home, or deal with a crowded venue in Bryan/College Station. Zorro's had an ad in the local newspaper that they would be open Thanksgiving day, so we decided that we would try the place for the first time.

Our choice was a good one, and our order was to fix us plates from the cooks choice. The turkey (both light and dark), ham, dressing, etc. was excellent.

We spend most of our time at our house in nearby Hearne, so we will be returning to Zorro's soon to try other menu items.

Date of visit: November 2015

Reviewed August 9, 2015

This is a cute little quaint restaurant that you must try when stopping or driving through Calvert. We all ordered different food and it was delicious! The coconut pie was heavenly...homeade crust, creamy filling and perfect meringue! You will be happy you stopped!

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed July 27, 2015

We stumbled on this restaurant while checking out Calvert, and we were extremely pleased with the food we had. I had a cheeseburger - which turned out to the one of the best I've ever had - obviously hand made patty, great bun, just delicious. My partner had a salad and onion rings, both of which were excellent. This just may be worth a trip by itself.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank Dianne95
Reviewed July 22, 2015 via mobile

This restaurant has good food! Don't let the location or look of the building fool you. The cook does an awesome job with the food. The menu is simple and prices are reasonable.

I ordered the grilled pork chop plate with fried okra and mashed potatoes. The pork chops were very tender and cooked perfectly. The fried okra is some of the best I've ever had.

The restaurant is easily accessible from hwy 6 and located in a historical building. Don't let the looks fool you and stop in if you are hungry and in the area.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank Eshafer
Reviewed June 10, 2015

At the enchilada special today, two chicken covered in green chili. Came with a taco, home made shell, black beans, rice and a chili relleno. The green chili was just like I have had in Abq and my wife loved it. She had hers christmas style. Special also came with a drink and desert, home made cherry cobbler. All of it was very good and I was stuffed.
Its noisy inside and a little warm. The building is old. But the people were very friendly. They have other food such as chicken fried steak and an open face burger with green chilli. We will go back. Might turn out to be a Weds regular just for those enchiladas.

Date of visit: June 2015