“The ultimate Italian art holiday”

Dedalo - Centro per le Arti Contemporanee
Main Beach, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The ultimate Italian art holiday”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Italian sun, blue skies, green mountains and a fabulous art teacher. Dedalo Center for Contemporary Art is situated in the foothills of Castiglione e Casauria, near Pescara on the south-easterly coast of Italy. Colleen is a Master Printmaker and dedicated artist, who encouraged me to find ways to use my own craft (calligraphy), while learning many new techniques.

Each morning was a joy, and included a one-hour mountain walk in my own time, picking fresh cherries along the way, followed by breakfast outside. Class began at 9am, we learnt etching, drypoint, monotypes, watercolour prints, softground printing and more. By the end of the week we had many pieces of delicate art to take home, along with an array of memories that will last a lifetime, such as visiting the nearby San Clemente Abbey from c.871. But the highlight really is the teaching by Colleen herself, she is committed to helping you get the most out of your week, her art studio is spotless, and all equipment is top quality (full-size weighted printing press, Fabriano paper, endless tubs of etching ink, custom made art bench at just the right height, to name a few).

The quintessential Italian destination, Dedalo enjoys a timeless location set amongst olive fields and is only a 2 hour drive from Rome and 20 minutes from Pescara. It really is the ideal place for professional or budding artists -- you will be inspired, it's a must-visit.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Tania H

Boulder, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“DEDALO ART CENTER is a GEM!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I feel so lucky to have found DEDALO ARTE in a little town tucked away in Abruzzo. I pursued a Printmaking course there without much information on the internet. I took a week-long printmaking intensive class at DEDALO and had an incredible experience!! The hilly town of Castiglione was perfect for stunning beauty, inspiration, quiet and focus on my work. The accommodation was more than I could have asked for with each bedroom in a quaint, cozy house individually full of beautiful artwork to look at and full amenities. Colleen is a brilliant teacher who pays close attention to detail and cares about her students' progress. With so much knowledge to share, she is patient, aware and always with a sense of humor. Her studio is clean with top quality equipment and supplies. She challenged me in all the important ways and pushed me to make the most of my time in the studio everyday. She is organized and professional yet she knows how to relax and enjoy the time together. I felt that my time at DEDALO was invaluable for my future as an artist. I learned so much about myself as an artist, an educator and I developed deep appreciation for this new medium of printmaking. Colleen is more than a teacher for me, she is a friend and I am so grateful to have had that experience with her at DEDALO and I look forward to doing a longer residency with her in the future. Anyone with interest to see an unchartered part of medieval Italia and be inspired by Colleen and the surrounding area should not think twice about this trip!!!

Visited June 2013