“Family Trip”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Burnet
Canyon of the Eagles Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Burnet
Austin,
“Family Trip”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Lake Buchanan was very low because of the drought but our stay there was wonderful. It is a perfect place for a family gathering. There are nice events planned for the kids and adults. The observatory experience was amazing. The food at the restaurant was great but a bit pricey. We will definitely go again. Lots of children on their bicycles and lots of dogs. Very pet-friendly. Beautiful butterfly garden with lots of gorgeous flowers.

Room Tip: Ask for the adjoining rooms with a view of the lake. This will give you two double rooms with an adj...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RRNovel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Burleson, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last Aug for our anniversary and we had the BEST time - I just fell in love with this beautiful place. The rooms are nice and cozy, and we had a wonderful view of the sunset from our cabin. We went hiking, kayaking, and swimming. The food is EXCELLENT!! We ate on site for each meal, and it was just fantastic. We went down to the Eagle Eye Observatory one night and it just blew us away, it was our first time, and is a definite MUST DO! We went into town one day to Burnet and found some real treasures while antique shopping. Colorado Bend state park is so close, and absolutely gorgeous and Gorman Falls is as well, there is just SO much too do, the list goes on and on.
I think one of the best parts of our trip was the staff, they truly went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. I have told ALL of my friends and family about this little getaway and we plan to take our whole family back when we go next time. It would be a wonderful experience for either a family vacation, or just a private little get away. You can be as secluded or as active as you want, there are so many activities to interact with others who are staying as well. My favorite place in all of TX.

Room Tip: If you can get the cabin closest to the lookout, I think that is the best cabin with a view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tisha S
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Canyon of the Eagles is superb. The staff is friendly, calls guests by name and works hard to make the stay comfortable. Although rustic, the accommodations are pleasant, clean with large rooms and thoughtful architecture. Rooms are strategically located to make the most of the views of the forest and lake. The restaurant is very good without being stuffy or overpriced. We made reservations to return in 6 weeks when the wild flowers are in bloom.

Room Tip: BuildingS K Or P and the best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dell L
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2013

After reading the mix of reviews we decided to stop by on our way back home from a 3day Hill country trip and just see the property. We walked around and dropped in to the restaurant just to see what it was like. Cory was so friendly and asked if we would like reservations for the evening. We explained we weren't staying but that didn't stop him from taking the time to answer our questions about the state of the lake and the water crises in the area. As we left we decided to stop at the reception desk to get information about coming back at a later date. She was very engaging about the property and we decided to spend the night. So glad we did! The dinner in the restaurant was delicious, pulled pork tacos especially good as was the flatbread pizza. While we were eating as the sun was setting we watched two foxes chasing each other. The staff set up an outdoor movie which was so much fun even though it was cold. We decided to have s'mores and the staff set up a table with white cloth etc. they couldn't have been nicer about doing all that in the cold for only the three of us, the small extra charge was worth it. We took short hikes around the property both days and loved the trails very natural. Lots of birds, saw an armadillo didn't know they can jump in the air when frightened. The cabin was very clean and peaceful, we had a great night sleep and wished we could have spent one more night.

Room Tip: If it is cold, turn the heat on in late afternoon to take the chill out of the room because the heat...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Texas
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I had been looking for a place to take our one year old and two dogs camping and found COE. We thought this would be a great spot for the dogs since it was on the lake and thought it was a great idea to stay in a cabin since a tent might be a little chilly for our baby.
When we arrived at COE, we were disappointed to say the least that this place advertises the lake with all of the water activities available and the lake was SO low. It was a hike in itself just to get to the water and I don't even think you could have kayaked if it were available with all of the branches sticking up. Luckily I had researched the area before the drive and knew Inks Lake was a short drive and has a consistent water level all year. After we arrived and checked out the "lake" we quickly jumped back in the truck and drove 30 minutes to Inks Lake, which was the highlight of the trip.
The grounds at COE are very nice and well kept. We were however a little disappointed that the website advertises the hot tub and pool, which is "warm all year" to be be locked and unaccessible during our stay. There was reptile show which was interesting but other than that, there really wasn't anything at all to do other than hike. I felt very mislead by the woman I booked my reservations with a couple days before we left whom told me that if our room wasn't ready at check-in, there were a ton of thing to do while waiting. Luckily, our room was ready! I also asked her if there was a fire or a place to make one at night since this was our little one's first camping experience, we had bought supplies to make 'smores. She told me that of course there was and it was something they did every night. She also told me if I didn't want to worry about bringing my own supplies, they sold them in kits. I said I had already had everything and would just go a head and bring it. She said that would be just fine also. After dinner we noticed an outdoor fireplace and went to the office to ask if that's where we could make our 'smokes. The lady pointed to a little black box outside the window that was sitting on the table and said, "No, when you are ready, let me know and I'll light the hibachi flame." What?!?! We were very confused but went back to get our supplies anyways determined to make the best of it. My husband went in to tell her we were ready and she informed me we could not bring our own supplies and would have to buy the "smore kit" from them, which by the way is $5 for two smores. And it's not like we walked over with a big bag handing them out to everyone there. There were only two people outside that night watching a movie and no one other than us even making smores. We had a little skewer, which I bought just for this purpose with 4 marshmallows on it and a couple graham crackers and 1 chocolate bar in our pocket. When we told her about the conversation on the phone the lady told me we were misinformed and we could use our own supplies but it would cost us $5.00 for her to light the flame, which by the way entailed her walking over to the little box and turning a switch. It wasn't about the money, just the principle. If she had told me over the phone you could only purchase their own smote kits, different story. I am not only upset that I was so mislead about COE when I booked our reservation but absolutely shocked at the lack of hospitality and customer service during our stay, especially for a place that advertises to be on the lake, which is most definitely false advertisement.
All in all, we enjoyed spending the weekend together and tried our hardest to make the best of it. Grounds were nice, food was mediocre and showers were cold. Unfortunately we would not recommend COE to any friends or family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Brittani84
CanyonOftheEagles, Director of Guest Relations at Canyon of the Eagles Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Brittani...

On behalf of Canyon of the Eagles, I would like to apologize that you did not enjoy your time with us.

Our resort is located on the northeast shores of Lake Buchanan. Due to a drought of record that this area of Texas is currently experiencing, Lake Buchanan is at less than 40% capacity. The lack of water on our portion of the lake does limit the water activities within the park. However, we have partnered with local vendors on portions of the lake that have more water to offer water activities to our guests. These vendors are located within a couple miles of the park's gate.

Roughly 800 of the park's 940 acres are a nature preserve that is home to a variety of wildlife, including three threatened or endangered birds: the American bald eagle, the black-capped vireo and golden-cheeked warbler. In order to protect these endangered species, a portion of the trails are closed each year from March 1 - August 31. However, we have over 14 miles of hiking trails within the park, and only approximately 7-miles of these trails are closed during this time. This leaves leaves approximately 7-miles of trails open for our guests.

Our website does say that we have a pool that is heated by the sun (which it is), but nowhere do we say we have a hot tub (we do not have one). Our pool is typically open from 8am until dusk, and if by some reason our staff had inadvertently forgotten to open the pool, had we been notified, we would have been more than happy to open the pool for you.

As for the problem you encountered with our Guest Services staff and the smores, all I can do is deeply and truly apologize. This is not the way we typically do business and it is certainly not the way that our staff have been trained. I can assure you that our staff will be retrained and that this issue will not occur again. Thank you for brining it to our attention.

Again, I apologize that in this instance we let you down and that you were unhappy with your stay. It is our hope that you will give us another chance to do better by you.

Cordially,

Mance Bowden
Director of Guest Relations
Canyon of the Eagles Lodge and Resort
Georgetown,TX
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We go to COE every year for our Women's Retreat for church and this year we got their food vs. bringing our own. The options and service were GREAT! Lovely places to sit and enjoy the view inside and out while eating, resting, or walking around. Overall it's such a serene place and the rooms have such character. They really make you feel at home! The beds are a little on the firm side. Pillows are great. Hair dryer in the room.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great and easily accessed. Some are a little further back but all is quiet no m...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steffie777
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I would not go back here. Canyon of the Eagles was the worst camping experience in my life. I reserved a primitive tent camp site well in advance. I spoke with a who was nice on the phone at length at about which site would be suitable for a tent. We settled on #7.

When my wife and I came to park around 11:30 am, an unpleasant woman who never smiled gave me a map and assigned me to site #1. I told her I reserved site #7. Ignoring my statement she says, "you have site 1." Oh well, we were hungry. So we had a greasy lunch at the restaurant that looked like it had been taken over by the spiders. Dust and webs everywhere.

We get to the site and it has no shade in the Texas heat, plus the ground is hard gravel and not suitable for pitching a tent. I pass by site #7 which looks perfect but sure enough they gave it away to someone else. At this point I'm upset. We pass another couple and can see it in each others eyes, we are both dealing with the same disappointments. So I spend the rest of my afternoon pounding tent stakes in the ground at our awful site, breaking several and nearly giving up. By the way its 95 degrees out. We managed to get set up.

Evening comes. I heard music coming from somewhere but I was exhausted and needed a shower. Wow, if I thought the restaurant looked bad, I would have to call the showers a nightmare. Toilette paper, insects, spiders. I would have given anything for a hose to wash that stall out. I'm no stranger to nature, but this was disgusting.

The next day we couldn't wait to leave. At the office the same stoic woman gives me my receipt and I stand there for a few moments. Will she ask me how things were? Does she care? No she does not. I simply promise myself to write this review someday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Devin G
CanyonOftheEagles, Guest Relations Manager at Canyon of the Eagles Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Devin,

I would like to apologize for what you have described as a less than stellar experience at Canyon of the Eagles. Because your review was written more than 7 months after you say you stayed with us, it is difficult for us to accurately address your issues, but I will address what I can.

Guest Service is paramount to what we do at Canyon of the Eagles. It appears that the service you received at our front desk falls below the service standards we set for our staff and for that, I do truly apologize. Since you were here, we have had a turn over in our desk staff, and current staff have received additional training in our service standards. I am sorry that you felt that you were not a valued guest; I can assure you that would not happen today.

We do not offer a “First Come First Served” check in or reservation system, instead, guests who have not made a specific preference for a site have their sites assigned by staff just prior to the guest’s arrival. If a guest has indicated a preference for a particular site, we make every attempt to help them with their preference and if that site is available it is assigned to the guest. If there was someone in the site you requested, it is because they had requested that site before your reservation was made. I apologize that this information was not given to you at the time you made your reservation and not relayed to you in a better fashion by our front desk during check in.

As Texans, we all know that the Texas summer is very hot (and last summer was no exception), however, all of our tent camping sites are located in groves of trees which shade the sites. In addition, all of our sites are on grass or dirt. The only gravel near our campsites is the road you drive in on. While your review does not say if you were in Chimney Slough Campsite #1, or Tanner Point Campsite #1, both sites have shade and neither are located on gravel.

Being a nature resort, and the bathhouse being an outdoor facility, insects, birds, and other wildlife sometimes do get in between cleanings. However, our bathhouse is cleaned and maintained by our staff several times a day. If we had been made aware that it needed additional attention, our staff would have been more than happy to do so.

Our award winning restaurant prides itself on its menu which includes local and sustainable ingredients. Not knowing what you had for lunch makes it difficult to know what was "greasy", however, had the Chef known that your meal was not to your satisfaction, he would have gladly made it right.

Again, I am truly sorry that your stay did not go as well as we both would have hoped. We hope that you will give us a second chance in the future.

Cordially.

Mance Bowden
Director of Guest Services
Canyon of the Eagles Lodge and Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnet
Comfort Inn & Suites Burnet
Best Western Plus Lampasas Inn & Suites
Best Western Post Oak Inn
The Inn at Lampasas
The Inn at Lampasas
#1 of 3 in Lampasas
La Quinta Inn & Suites Marble Falls
Markward Manor Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Canyon of the Eagles Resort? Share your experiences!