“Wellness”

Rainbow Hearth Sanctuary and Retreat
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Burnet
Reviewed January 31, 2012

If you're looking for a place to support your personal wellness efforts, Rainbow Hearth offers organic foods, space to hike and connect with nature, and provides a truly peaceful environment for rest and reflection. If you come to Rainbow Hearth with an open heart and mind, it can be a catalyst for making healthy changes in your life.

Room Tip: Sky Loft has a wonderful deck for bird watching and star gazing.
Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed January 22, 2012

This is not your standard recreation playground. It is close to the water recreations sites; unfortunately, the drought makes it difficult to enjoy much of that; but, that is not why my husband and I visited Rainbow Hearth. It is just what we were looking for, a place to replenish the body and the psyche. Mariah offers thoughtful and effective bodywork that leaves the body energized, feeling almost re-built. She reads people well, both their physical and emotional makeup, and designs their treatment accordingly. Lodging is comfortable and cozy, with sizes ranged for singles, for couples, for families. The food is simply delicious. Mariah’s omelets are to die for. Her sprouts-based salad bar is a meal in itself and is quite addictive. Even the water is delicious.(I’m not kidding about that.) It is important to tell her if you have any special dietary needs. She took our needs into account when creating the daily menu. Her team includes Sunny, Choco, and Nugsy, three of the most wonderful animals you will have the privilege to meet, and who know what their specific duties entail. They do their jobs very well. My husband and I left feeling relaxed and healthier than we’ve felt in years, and knowing that we will be back in a few months for a refresher. And, oh yes, climb to the top of Medicine Rock, but wait until you get to the top before you turn around to see a spectacular view of the Lake.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara P
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Visiting Rainbow Hearth was by far one of the best decisions I've made. We stayed in the treehouse. I loved it there and feel so rejuvenated. The food was great. The bodywork massage was excellent and my body feel so much better. She helped to remove stress and tension. I feel so much lighter and energetic.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Nice cabins, but overlooking a dried-up lakebed. Much too high-priced for what they offer, food-wise and recreation-wise. A boring, mosquito haven on a barely traversable backroad (with bad speedbumps!) The host, Mariah is friendly enough as long as you bring plenty of $$$, which seems to be what she is all about. Forget this place!

Room Tip: Don't choose any at all would be the best thing to do.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Carrie D
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I’ve been to Rainbow Hearth twice now and both experiences were fantastic. It is the perfect place to decompress from the stress of finals and work. The property is vast and peaceful, with lots of nooks to explore and have a quiet moment to yourself. Mariah is a fabulous caretaker—her hospitality and warmth are unmatched!

The Sunset Guest House is a beautiful two-bedroom space, with a balcony overlooking Lake Buchanan. Catching the sunrise and set are bookends to a fabulous stay. You won’t find a television here, but there is plenty of nature to take in—the scenery is vast and beautiful.

Perhaps my favorite part of RH, however, is the delectable eats that Mariah serves up. Breakfast features a wide spread of granolas and jams, as well as fruit smoothies and omelets made to order. Lunch and dinner feature micro-green salads, made from homegrown sprouts. I dream of these salads; they are really that delicious. Lunch also consists of fish or chicken dishes, while dinner surrounds a hearty soup with cornbread or other side. Homemade chocolate acts as the perfect compliment for dessert.

Though I have not tried any of the spa treatments that Mariah has to offer, I am sure they would not disappoint. The surrounding area lends itself to many activities during your stay. There are plenty of water sports and tours, long river cruises, local wineries, and parks that surround RH. I would also recommend Longhorn Caverns and Cypress Valley Canopy Tours as well (though the drive is a little longer that some might like).

Believe me, one visit to RH and you’ll be just as hooked. I can hardly wait for next summer!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank BeccaD65
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I was *really* looking forward to staying here. The place looked great for a getaway/meditation kind of spot. The room was... so-so. Not as clean as I'm used to. The staff were nice enough.

The food so did not rock. They're way big on vegetarian/fru fru hippy food here... but one night they made curry. I can't eat curry. I was left paying an exhorbitant amount of money for a helping of steamed rice. Breakfast omelets were thin, and probably the worst omelets I've seen. Maybe they were made with eggfu. Or something. That seemed to be the trend.

All-in-all, you're much better off going to the Canyon of the Eagles resort a little further down. We toured that place and my friend ended up booking her anniversary trip there. Said she got way more value for the money.

The best part of staying here was the friendly dog. :)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank poetesstx
Reviewed May 12, 2009

I absolutely loved it here. I have never had a more relaxing stay. The room was beautiful and the scenery breathtaking. If you are beyond stressed out and need some time to relax this is the place to do it. The bodywork sessions were amazing. I put all my stress into my body and Mariah worked it all out. It feels like a weight lifted off of me. Coming here gives you a reality check on taking care of your body. The food was healthy and delicious. The staff are wonderful and accommodating. I will definitely come back and tell everyone I know what they are missing out on.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnet
Comfort Inn & Suites Burnet
#1 of 1 in Horseshoe Bay
Painted Sky Inn
Painted Sky Inn
#1 of 4 in Burnet

Been to Rainbow Hearth Sanctuary and Retreat? Share your experiences!