“Love it!”
Review of Cleveland's

Cleveland's
Ranked #15 of 56 Restaurants in Buda
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

I don't understand why all the bad reviews. Probably "wannabe foodies"...
I've been here 3 times for dinner, and once for lunch. Food is consistently good, and service is attentive. The Boudin Balls are fantastic, and the Shrimp and Grits is to die for, with just the right amount of heat from the blackening spice.

There are newer reviews for Cleveland's

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This restaurant was recommended by some friends who live in Buda. We were in the area and decided to stop by. To be fair, they were recommending dinner and we went for lunch on a Sunday (when they are open despite what you may see on Yelp). They also serve brunch on Sunday.

I was really torn between 2 and 3 stars and it was the soggy fries and cold hush puppies that pushed me to the 2. That can't be defined as "average" even in a small town.

The restaurant is located in the tiny strip of old Main Street in Buda. From the outside, it looks like it has the potential to be charming. Inside, it is pretty basic and noisy when crowded. It was very crowded when we were there and the reports from the people we talked to were all very good. So, maybe we just had an isolated bad experience. But I don't think so.

The service was average at best. What pushed it to "poor" was having to wait a very long time for checks at the bar and at our dinner table and the fact that, despite asking three times, we never got a napkin we requested. We were also not offered water and they forgot it when we asked for one glass to share.

Our meal started with shrimp bisque. Flavor of broth was OK but shrimp were very low quality and tasteless. It was served with saltines.

My husband's basket of fried shrimp, oysters, hush puppies and fries was cold, limp and greasy and (as mentioned above) the primary driver of the two review. The cole slaw that some other reviewers have raved about was an extremely small portion (two bites) and nothing special. We tasted one bite and left the rest.

My Caesar salad with blackened tilapia was average...romaine lettuce, decent size piece of fish and some tasty garlic croutons. I am not really a tilapia fan but shrimp was the only other choice. I skipped the dressing because it was extremely heavy.

The $2 brunch special mimosas were tasty but the bar was sticky and the service was slow.

The dinner menu includes some very interesting items including frog legs. Unfortunately, this experience was bad enough that we would not go back even if we were in the area. We would drive the extra distance to Austin.

We really came in wanting to love the place but there just wasn't a single thing that would make us give them a second try.

1  Thank austinjjc
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I live in far South Austin and are always looking for new restaurants to try. This place popped up on a local search and generally received good reviews so we thought we'd give it a try.

Ambiance: I can't say there's much. One side of the restaurant is a bar that's quite noisy, the other side (no division between the two spaces except for a pony wall) is the restaurant with such dim lighting you have to use your phone to see the menu.

Service: Service was good, no complaints there. The waiter was attentive and helpful.

Food: The food was seriously overpriced for what you got. I had the chicken and sausage jambalaya, the husband got the blackened redfish. At $16.99 for the fish, you'd expect it to be excellent but was rated as merely "okay" by my husband. My jambalaya looked like none I had ever seen before, served dry, it was more like two congealed upside down cups of rice than the soupy mixture I'm used to eating. It also lacked seasoning and the chicken was overcooked, what a disappointment.

I realize Buda isn't exactly overrun with great dining choices so it's understandable the locals are thrilled to have it but for the average folk used to real Cajun/seafood, avoid this place. Expensive doesn't equal better, it just means you paid too much for a mediocre meal.

2  Thank homeowner E