“Awesome Customer Service”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Buda
Dallas, Texas
“Awesome Customer Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I booked this hotel shortly after the date was announced for the 2012 Formula 1 races back in Nov. 2011. I got a great rate on Expedia for 89.99 for a 4 day stay Nov. 14-17, 2012. I was shocked that I was able to book the room that far in advance but I jumped on it.

Fast forward to Nov. 14, 2012 and I am at the check in counter. Robby the GM is helping me and can not find my reservation anywhere. I had my confirm from Expedia and still this didn't help much. Robby initially thought maybe it was a computer issue with the Best Western system so he called Best Western relations and found that the issue was the reservation was for the same dates but in 2011. I clearly had my Expedia itinerary showing the dates of 2012. Robby even called Expedia CS to get some resolve as did I. As we were both on the phone the Expedia agent told me my reservation was good for 2012 on his system. Best Western policy is not to book rooms that far in advance which is understandable. During the ordeal, while on hold with Expedia, Robby and Mike both said however this turns out they had a room for me and would work a deal but couldn't honor the rate that Expedia gave me which was a year old. Keep in mind, this is F1 Weekend in Austin and most all hotels are booked and are not cheap. After speaking with my 2nd CSR from Expedia, I finally had to ask for a supervisor. The supervisor, Donna, did work with me and after explaining the situation again, she contacted a corporate manager to help get this resolved. I did have to get a little crass with the 2nd CSR because nothing was getting done because I didn't have a pre-paid reservation. It was just a confirmation on hold and if you miss the day then you get charged 1 day. This seemed odd that they (Expedia) didn't want to honor the rate but I could have still been charged one nites stay had I not shown up. Regardless, Donna wanted to check to see if there was another property they could get me in. This option was not an option for me, so she continued pushing the issue up the ladder. Finally, I got to a corporate manager, Nicolette who took care of me. It was funny because Robby was also talking to the same person on another line. After 3+ hrs, Robby was able to complete my reservation and get me in my room. He was great and felt bad for the issue, which was not the fault of the hotel, and upgraded me to a bigger nicer room. Shortly after getting settled he knocked on my door with a gift of various soaps his mom went and got for me at Bed Bath and Beyond. Totally not necessary but very much appreciated. Robby and family took care of me and i would recommend this hotel highly.

Expedia took care of me as well. They acknowledged their system had some type of glitch and they are refunding me the difference between the rate of 89.99 that I was quoted and the actual rate the hotel charged for the weekend. My total for 4 days just under 1200.00 and even though i had to front the money, I did get a confirm email from Expedia on how to get my 675+ dollar back from them after my trip.

My advise and lesson learned... Always confirm the reservation with the hotel prior to arrival if you book through an online service. If this would have been the fault of Best Western, Robby said they would have honored the rate given and I completely understand that.

Everyone keep in mind that this is the USA and everyone is entitled to make a buck. But many of the hotel owners are individuals just like you and I. The savings and commissions are not going to these guys, they are going to the corporate chains and online services. Don't take it out on the front desk operators. They typically understand your issues. Be patient and work with them. More than likely, you'll get satisfaction in one way or another...hopefully!!!

I read some of the other comments about this hotel that were negative or so so. Please take these for what they are worth. There are so many factors and personalities writing review and everyone believes they are right in their opinions. And as Americans we have that right. But from my experience this hotel is great. Service was great, room was clean, location is good for me, it is a very quiet hotel, the breakfast was pretty good too. Nothing fancy but easily as good as any fast food joint and you already paid for it. Eggs, sausage, waffles, muffins, toast, cereal, juice, fruit, and coffee. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kelly A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I don't understand why Best Western lets this place keep their sign up. We asked for a non smoking room but when we walked in to our room it was bad. All of our luggage needed to be washed as soon as we got home. We asked to move rooms and we were told we could not and we could not get a refund. The front desk insisted that it was a non smoking room and nobody has been smoking in there. I tried to talk to the front desk but got nowhere. I was told that they went in to our room and checked while we were out for dinner but I doubt it.
Please do not waste your money here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank G C M

Travelers are raving about these Buda hotels

San Antonio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is the first and last time I go to this hotel. As soon as we walked in it smelled like a retirement home. Gross. We had reservations and the guy behind the counter was very rude. We get to the second floor and it REEKS of smoker's smoke. Then we get into the room and it smells like no one has entered that room in over a month. And don't even think about asking for more bath towels. We made this mistake. He was so rude and threatened that he would double check if we steal the towels. Come on. NEVER COMING BACK.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Neatly-Packaged
Frisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

If I could give this hotel a rating BELOW zero I would.
I knew this was going to probably be a problem when the desk "attendant" was in a grungy t-shirt with bleach stains all over it. That's how you greet your guests?
They claim they have non smoking rooms but they don't. They call it no smoking for the night you are there, but it would have been a smoking room the night before. It was more than 100 degrees outside and they had the AC OFF in the room. It took a few hours for the room to even cool down. The dead crickets under the sink, and the live ones running around were a nice touch. The stopper in the sink was broken, could not be raised or lowered. The shower head was spraying all over the room. There was dried urine on the toilet seat. There was only a 1/4 roll of toilet paper and no spare roll. They claimed to not have any rooms for me to change to even though the parking lot seemed to be almost empty.
You could not see the bottom of the pool. It was a dark green with at least 20 dead crickets floating in the pool.
High speed internet, right. If you consider less than 200k down and 200k up high speed then you'll be fine.
Breakfast...so gross. They had "orange" juice and "apple" juice.They had taken a small amount of orange juice and topped it off with CARBONATED water. They had done the same to the apple juice. I sat in the dining room for about 10 minutes watching people take a drink of it. They all made the same YUCK face when they tasted it.
Best Western should be ashamed of themselves for allowing franchises like this to be in operation.
Best Western claims that because their hotels are independently owned and operated that you get the best experience. SO NOT TRUE.
What is does is makes your Best Western experience completely unpredictable.
That was my last stay in a Best Western...ever.

Room Tip: Rooms in a DIFFERENT hotel are better
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Matthew W
Texas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

Calling to reserve a room was a complete mess. They did not know the wedding rate, let alone the name of the wedding we were staying under, then when we checked out the rate given to us was an entirely different one. They would not take any company discounts, even though all the other Best Westerns have done that. The entire building, including the rooms were stifling, until we turned on the A/C in the rooms. There was no water at ALL when we checked in. They said it would be fixed in an hour, but it took 5 hours. The carpets turned your feet black. Breakfast was over at 9am, whereas everywhere else I've stayed they stop at 10am. (The food was pretty bad anyway) The pool was filthy, and when we asked for them to clean it, they claimed they did but did not even turn the filter on so that you couldn't even see the bottom. There was never anyone at the front desk. A LIVE SCORPION was found in my parents' bathroom. I don't know if they were trying to "cut corners", but if so they need to take a few business lessons. There are ways of saving money without scaring off customers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AlHab
kingsville texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

Best Western Souhgate Inn, was a very nice and clean enviornment. I was impressed with high quailty of hospitality displayed. First impressions make a difference. The rooms were clean and very well kept. and the beds slept like clouds of cotton. The grounds were were clean and displayed a serene enviornment of safety. The Best Western Southgate left a lasting impression for me and my family needs. However we were not able to visit the swimming pool, but from the other amenities of the hotel, I am convinced that the pool would have been breath taking.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank melbra_12
Robby P, Manager at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. I'm sorry to hear you did not get to swim in the pool. It has been remodeled. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the review. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand & to our property.

Robby Patel - GM
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Hardly any guests in the hotel this Sat. night, but was given a room on the ground floor facing the front of the hotel where the big lights illuminating the hotel shined right into my window. The room did not look or smell fresh. The sheets were rumpled, the towels were frayed, the carpet needed a serious vacuuming. My Sunday wake-up call scheduled for 7:00am didn't come until 8:00am! Worse breakfast I have ever seen at a BW. Disgusting watery eggs and sausage. No biscuits but there WAS cream gravy that looked inedible. No pancakes or waffles. One juice was empty by 8:00am and not replenished. Only four small tables in the eating area and all were full. There is room for more tables. No one bussed the tables after people left. Trash was overflowing in the receptacle.

Also, it is very easy to miss the hotel "entrance" off the service road of the interstate and there is no way to get into it from the adjacent property. The side doors did not work with the card key. The lobby was dirty and had fingerprints up high on the glass doors and windows. The window ledges are dusty and have loose screws, etc. sitting on them. Makes you wonder when they were last cleaned. There is too much artificial flora throughout. It looks tacky as all get out!

Room Tip: Get on an upper floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Picky45
bwSouthgateInn, Webmaster at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing BEST WESTERN Southgate Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about the possibility of better marking the entrance so that it would be easier for our valued guests.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

• Management and desk staff received additional training in seeing to it that wake up calls were sent at the proper times.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at BEST WESTERN Southgate Inn. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buda
Americas Best Value Inn - Buda
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Buda at Cabela's
La Quinta Inn & Suites Kyle - Austin South
Comfort Suites Buda – Austin South Hotel
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin South - Buda
Hampton Inn & Suites Austin South/Buda

Been to Quality Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!