“Very Impressed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of University Inn College Station

and 1 more site!
University Inn College Station
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Bryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Someone is making an impressive investment in rehabilitating this older motel on the north end of the Texas Avenue strip. I spent 3 nights in Rm 210, which has been completely refurbished. The desk clerk told me that the rehabilitation is still under way, so some prior reviews are apparently from visitors assigned rooms that have not been renovated yet. One could presume that the current rate structure is intended to generate cash flow while the renovation is underway. I plan to return to TraveLodge and request to be assigned one of the renovated rooms.

The bathroom of Rm 210 has new tub, tile, commode, and fixtures. The dressing area has a new counter and wash basin and a huge mirror with light bar with 6 bright bulbs that ladies will enjoy. The room has a new ironing board and iron, a flat screen TV in armoire, a small microwave, and a 2-door Black & Decker refrigerator/freezer. I don’t recall any motels rooms with a separate freezer compartment that actually works! I visited the HEB south on Texas Avenue and had evening snacks in the room rather than eating out.

The breakfast area is large and has a good view of the lawn and pool area. Breakfast is typical for complementary breakfasts at motels that charge double or triple the current TraveLodge rates. The most discouraging fact about breakfast is that it does not open until 7:00 am. Unless the new management made a deliberate policy decision to discourage work crews from patronizing this TraveLodge, breakfast should open at 6:00 am, or no later than 6:30 am as is typical in competing motels. Since I was up and in the lobby by 6:00 am Saturday morning, I drove all the way south to Denney’s to get breakfast rather than waiting for an hour.

Lots of parking space!

There are still lessons to be learned in managing and maintaining this property for it to be sustainable in the very competitive B/CS market. I had reserved a room with king-size bed on the TraveLodge website, but there was some sort of mix-up during my registration and Rm 210 has 2 full-size beds. Since I was alone and tired from working on our small farm property north of Bryan, I just took the assigned room. Since our property is north of Bryan, we really don’t have much interest in the higher-density portion of the motel/restaurant strip across from the TAMU campus. Read my other reviews for B/CS motels to learn why I consider the TraveLodge the north end of acceptable motels in the B/CS area.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms until the process is complete
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank J H M
Colleyville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was the only place available on short notice at a very reasonable price. The motel was clean and refurbished. Good water pressure and hot water. Great staff. The breakfast was better than most. They had a lady that worked exclusively in the breakfast area keeping it stocked. I loved the dining area. It was huge with lots of tables and light and bright. The rooms were fine and appointed well. Even had a coffee maker in my room.
The downside was the location in Bryan. While close to the campus, it was a bit of a sketchy area. The motel was packed with swim meet kids and they were quite noisy, yelling and running up and down outside the doors. The road noise was also quite loud. That all settled down after about midnight, but I did worry somewhat about our cars parked out back. At 3:45 someone set off several M80's firecrackers right below our room and that woke me up from a dead sleep. I thought it was gunshots until I saw the remains the next day.
I believe if it hadn't of been such a busy weekend, it would have been quieter. The beds also were kind of hard for my taste, but I slept on them okay.
The staff were some of the nicest I have encountered in College Station area. We are booked here next month, and I really have no problem returning here to stay. I also asked the lady at the front desk to set my room early for my stay next month for the quietest area. She told me our room was really the best and she reserved it for me next month.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Frisco, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I tried taking a shower but the shower wouldn't work. After thinking about it I thought about sticking my head under the faucet to wash my hair. Just then a clump of dirt shot out of the faucet. I spit bathed myself and dealt with it.
That evening I was working on the computer and a roach ran across the desk out fo the coffee maker.
When I killed it, I flushed it down the toilet and found a spider in the tub.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank brad b
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Although the cleanliness of the room was somewhat lacking, it's hard to find a motel room for a better price (under $50, including tax), which is the reason why I routinely stay at travelodge motels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Julie M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bryan
Quality Inn & Suites Bryan
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, College Station
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#9 of 36 in College Station
Best Western PREMIER Bryan College Station
Motel 6 Bryan-College Station
Hilton College Station & Conference Center
Hilton College Station & Confere...
#10 of 36 in College Station
Home2 Suites by Hilton College Station
Home2 Suites by Hilton College S...
#1 of 36 in College Station

Been to University Inn College Station? Share your experiences!