“Slightly better than just sleeping in your car”

University Inn College Station
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Bryan
Houston
“Slightly better than just sleeping in your car”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Having traveled around the planet, I gotta say this hotel might be the worst. Honestly, the place was just...old.

It appears that they are doing some renovations, and the manager reminded me of that when I called a week early to confirm the price. After inserting the key card and opening the door, we found a room that had a slightly unpleasant odor, kinda like when you wash towels and don't dry them right away.
I've never been a fan of rooms with doors that face the outdoors rather than a hallway, but when booking a room in Aggieland on a game weekend, you have to be prepared to pay an arm and leg for an average room, or stay in a bad part of town to save a buck. Staying with a familar name, I rolled the dice... Snake eyes

The beds were comfortable, but no blanket. Under the comforter, there was just a sheet.

The bathroom was pretty bad with what looked like splatters on the wall near the toilet... Also, the bathroom door was pretty filthy. The carpet in the room looked like the kind of carpet you might find in front of a grocery store, and just as clean.

We slept with a chair in front of the door,
and actually got a good nights sleep

Staying at these property taught me that you have to sometimes splurge on a better room.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed at this Hotel for the Florida vs. Texas A&M game from 9/7/12-9/9/12. What you have to understand about this place is that it was likely established in the late 60's early 70's. This is a place to crash, shower, and then do other things during the day. If you are looking for a pristine and perfect hotel, then this is not going to be it. The building isnt that attractive, but I dont think it really needs to be. If you are coming to town for a football game or a graduation, and you dont want to spend a few hundred dollars per night, then this is the perfect place.

There are many restaurants and stores nearby, and is relatively close to A&M's campus (about 3-4 miles). They have refrigerators, microwaves, hairdryers, irons, and coffee makers (2-3 cup) that all work well. There is also free wireless internet with a good signal and speed.
I was really impressed with the refrigerator, especially having stayed at many 4 star hotels who only provide refrigerators that dont get cold enough to store milk or anything else perishable. There is a continental breakfast offered and what appears to be a restaurant, but I didnt use either. The front desk staff were very helpful and accomodating.

The beds were comfortable, the pillows were comfoprtable, the room was clean, and the linens were clean. Because of the bad reviews this hotel had, I was a little reticent at staying here, but I was more than happy with my stay, and especially since other hotels were going for up to 5x the price, this was definately worth it. I got a great nights sleep.

We were in this hotel for less than 8 hours for each day that we stayed here. It did have a pool that looked well kept, and there is a central grassy area that seems to be watered regularly and well kept.

I hope this is helpful. I met the manager and he was genuinely interested in the quality of my stay and was working hard on making even more improvements to this place. I would stay here again when these two teams play again.

Room Tip: My only advice is to be a little weary of the rooms on the ground floor at the far back facing (i th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Quite pleasantly surprized, the rooms were clean, towels nice and white!!! Only complaints: no place to hang our clothes, no mattress covers on beds, no refridgerator in our room. We were in an upstairs room, which I wanted. By the time I booked this room( two months before graduation) there were not many rooms available in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

Very clean rooms. Best night sleep I've had in a while. Great price.

• Stayed May 2012
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Hotel has began making all necessary changes to make every stay as pleasant as possible to all guest. The whole staff is Friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I stayed at this place for three months. Worse experience ever. Won't ever stay at this Place again.......

1 Thank CheriPalmer
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I called this hotel during my drive into Bryan, TX, and nobody answered the phone for over an hour. Instead of checking in as scheduled, I had to go straight to my meeting in Bryan. During a break in my meeting, I called the hotel to make sure that I was booked and ask if they were even open. They said the phone was not working correctly...oh did I find out that was a lie. When I arrived at the hotel after my meeting, there was a sign on the door that read, "gone for 30 minutes for change" and there was somebody outside who said he had been waiting 30 minutes already. I waited there an hour, nobody showed up. I then went to book a hotel down the road and then went back to Travelodge to take photos of the sign so I could complain and get a refund. The lady Jennifer who works there rudely said her car broke down and that is the reason that nobody was there, and that it was not her fault. I later found out from the hotel down the road that she was fired from multiple hotels for leaving and not coming back for hours. I waited in the cold for over an hour, had to pay two hotel rates, and got barely any sleep before my early morning meeting. Don't stay here unless you want a horrible experience!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bryan
Motel 6 Bryan-College Station
Fairfield Inn & Suites Bryan College Station
Best Western Premier Bryan College Station
EZ Travel Inn
EZ Travel Inn
#26 of 35 in College Station
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, College Station
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#12 of 35 in College Station
Quality Inn & Suites Bryan

Been to University Inn College Station? Share your experiences!