“Holy &*(%$ - what a hell hole”

University Inn College Station
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Bryan
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I don't know where to start - truly it was that bad. I suppose I should start by saying something good, so . .. "the TV worked". Now the bad news:

1. there was no curtain on the windows, just vertical blinds that didn't close and jangled all night to the slightest breeze in the room.
2. no heat (40 degree night was not fun)
3. continential breakfast was aptly named as it probably served to the real continental army - no milk for the cereral, toaster didn't work, no one to tell one's woes to
4. bathroom door didn't work
5. mold in bathroom
6. noise, noise, noise - the hotel apparently is next to a shopping center with a nigh-club that stays open to 2:00 AM, and since the walls are paper-thin in this hotel, any outside noise instantly becomes inside noise.

When I checked out the morning after and mentioned these issues to the person at the desk, she told me how the owner had bought the hotel in bankruptcy in summer of 2010, and that, "fixing things just had not been a priority". So you have been warned.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank DarrelVan

Reviewed January 21, 2011

My girlfriend and I ended up staying here because every where else in BCS was booked due to one of the many sporting events or conferences that the area hosts. Things got off on the wrong foot when we discovered that the hotel was actually in Bryan rather than College Station like their documentation said.
We finally found the property and checked in. That was the last decent experience we had there. The desk staff at check in were nice and appeared competent. Our room, along with the rest of the property, was older, but relatively clean and tolerable.
Things really went downhill when we returned to our room the afternoon of our second day and discovered that the room was unlocked. In fact none of the locking mechanism on our door worked. We slept in and kept all our stuff in a room that didn't lock in a hotel that's not in the best part of BCS. We were livid.
The girl at the front desk was initially sympathetic, and gave a new room, one supposedly with working locks. Well the room number she provided turned out to not actually exist. What? How is that even possible. We pointed that out to the desk and after a few under-her-breath sighs of "I hate my job." She gave us a room that did in fact exist, and thankfully had working locks.
I ended up making a stink at the front desk at checkout about how unacceptable our stay had been and requested that part of our stay be refunded. The front desk staffer had to go back and forth with her manager a few times. The manager was in the back room, but throughout all this she refused to see or speak with us, though we overheard enough to ascertain that the manager didn't believe us regarding the locks. If we were going to make something up, we would at least come up with a more plausible story than "the locks don't work, and you gave us a non-existent room." We finally ended up getting a night refunded. We will never stay here again and we will advise anyone looking for a room in BCS to look elsewhere. Even on a football weekend and everything else is booked, try somewhere in Brenham or Navasota before this Travelodge.
To their credit, after I sent back a scathing guest survey, the owner/ general manager got in touch with me and offered 30% off my next stay. A nice gesture, but it won't be enough.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple