“Restaurant review only.”

The Villa Bed and Breakfast at Messina Hof
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Bryan
“Restaurant review only.”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Wonderful restaurant!! Try the gorgonzola chicken!!! The wine is good and our server (Lisa) was fabulous! This is a great place to go for a special occasion!! I highly recommend taking a walk through the vineyards after your meal, if the weather allows.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank Daxandthara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
College Station, TX
Reviewed January 26, 2010

The room
We stayed in the Thomas Jefferson room. It had a very old time, antiquey feel. The view wasn't too bad, but the balcony was very small. It was clean and pretty much what I expected. The only weird thing is that we didn't have a doorknob on the bathroom.

The food
The restaurant was very good. The prices weren't cheap, but the food was good. My steak was cooked just right. The wine of course was great. The service was great too.

The food II
The morning we left we were served breakfast in the villa. There was tons to eat. pastries, meats, eggs, juices, and mimosas. And once again the service was great.

The best part about everything was the overall experience. There is a tour with tasting. Nice open wine fields as far as you can see. A pond to walk around. A wine bar with cheese and tons of wines to drink.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I planned this special event for my mothers 60th birthday. All of my 8 siblings and their spouses came. The attention that we received from Kelly, the Villa manager, was spectacular. We had an upgraded wine tour including artisan cheese from Texas dairies. We tasted the best red wines they made. From the moment we arrived, we were treated as valued VIP's. The upgraded tasting (which we paid $18 each for plus tip and tax) was awesome, the cheese was superb and went perfectly with the wines we tasted. We rented the entire villa, and it was beautiful, charming and perfect for our family gathering. We also enjoyed diner at the restaurant and it too was excellent. Kelly ordered a special cake for our mother's birthday and it was a delightful treat.

All in all, we will CERTAINLY come back. The Villa at Messina Hof was exactly what our family needed for a real re-connecting.

• Stayed December 2009
2 Thank LoriLamb67
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Messina Hoff in general is pretty good and for the location and price it is fine but it is rough around the edges everywhere. The room was nice but there were dead bugs under the bed and in the light fixtures. The staff at the Villas made you feel as if you you were inconveniencing them. The wine bar was fine and the wine is quite good and a good value. The restaurant is average. The steak tasted and looked like it was boiled and the veggies were nearly raw. The service was marginal as well. All in all I would give the following reviews on a 1 to 10 scale:

Hotel Room - 6
Hotel service - 2
Wine bar and wine - 8
Restaurant food - 4
Restaurant service - 5

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed October 20, 2007

My boyfriend and I drove from Houston and spent one night here. We found it charming and relaxing. The staff were pleasant and friendly. The morning breakfast was very yummy, too. We would definetly go again. The restaurant was nice too.

• Liked — the serene location
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CCC1979
dallas
Reviewed July 28, 2007

My husband and I just returned from our weekend stay at the Villas of Messina Hof and can't stop raving about our wonderful time! Sammie, the innkeeper, was very attentive and put out wonderful pairings of wine and cheese at the 5 o'clock reception. We stayed in the regal Thomas Jefferson room and were surprised at the enormous size of the room. The balcony was a bit dusty and grimey, but had great views of the rest of the property and some of the vineyard. HUGE bathroom!

We also participated in the Harvest event, picking grapes and stomping them afterward. Such fun!! I HIGHLY recommend coming for this event. All ages would enjoy the festivities.

Perhaps the best thing about the weekend was the owner, Paul. He made the entire weekend extra special. His passion for his vineyard and the wine process was very evident. He was friendly, informative and super funny!! He and his wife, Merrill, have really done a fantastic job with their wonderful winery!! Will DEFINITELY return!!!

• Liked — too many to choose just one: friendliness of other guests, size of room, view of property
  • Disliked — patio was not very clean
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank romasposa
Houston, TX
Reviewed March 26, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one night and thought the grounds were very beautiful as well as the room and inn decor. The wine and cheese reception and included tour were really nice as well. My favorite parts were the little wine bar (very cool bartender there) and the pond with the fountain water feature. These made for a very pleasant pre-dinner experience.

We ate The Villa Restaurant, which is a part of this facility, and I would not recommend it. My husband's ribeye had absolutely no flavor, and my chicken entree had to be sent back because it was so dry, I couldn't saw through it with my knife. Also, the tomato sauce accompanying the chicken tasted like something poured directly from a can. For 20 bucks and up per entree, we expected much more. The staff was courteous and attentive, but the food was just not good. If you are a guest at the Messina Hof, I would seek food alternatives in College Station/Bryan.

Two complaints about the room (the Venus), specifically the bathroom - the baseboards were covered with a layer of dust, grime and other particles that couldn't have been cleaned in weeks. There was also grime around the toilet hinges. I have seen a Motel 6 with a cleaner bathroom. Also, there were picture hooks all over the bathroom walls with nothing hanging from them. I brought this to the attention of the inn keeper who explained that they had recently done some paint work and hadn't rehung the decorations. I guess that makes sense, but for over $200/night, I expected something a little nicer. It is the little details that make a guest's stay special. The unattractive and unclean bathroom made me want to get in and out as quickly as possible. I would have liked to use the big tub, but wasn't sure what may be lurking there.

So, this may make a nice weekend getaway if they correct these problems, but I would definitely check these areas upon arrival.

• Liked — wine bar and pond
  • Disliked — food at restaurant, bathroom condition
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Julie A
innkeepercammie, Innkeeper at The Villa Bed and Breakfast at Messina Hof, responded to this review, December 28, 2007
Hello, My name is Cameron and I am the Innkeeper here at the Villa at Messina Hof.
Since I have started we have made a committed effort to assure the cleanliness of each of our rooms, instituting a thorough room inspection policy and an immediate correction policy.
We strive to make each guest’s stay with us as memorable as possible – a stay filled with wonderful experiences and memories.
We have many plans for improvements in the near future. One of the biggest is the opening of a spa in our Villa offering many different spa treatments including hot stone massage and facials.
We are also working with our GM and Executive Chef Ken Ruud to develop a dinner menu for Sunday – Tuesday nights.
Our recently added, Winemaker’s Room features a Wine Bar where you can get your favorite Messina Hof wine by the glass, have a tasting flight, or enjoy one of the many Tapas offerings.
We are available to answer any questions or to take reservations. All youhave to do is call. We look forward to having you as guests and calling you a member of our Messina Hof Family.

The Villa Staff
Cameron,
Britt, &
Mamie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bryan
The Stella Hotel
Ramada College Station
Ramada College Station
#3 of 35 in College Station
Vineyard Court Designer Suites Hotel
Vineyard Court Designer Suites H...
#16 of 35 in College Station

Been to The Villa Bed and Breakfast at Messina Hof? Share your experiences!