“Authentic, Non-Tex-Mex, Mexican Meals”
Review of Los Molcajetes Mexican Food - CLOSED

Los Molcajetes Mexican Food
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I have to travel to College Station often for work and love supporting local, family-owned restaurants. Tonight I was in the mood for some authentic non-Tex-Mex Mexican food. I took Skyvi's recommendation and went to Los Molcajetes.
This restaurant is in a strip mall (H.E.B. shopping center), which did not surprise me that much since the last restaurant that Skyvi took me to (Cenare) was also in a strip mall. Maybe there is a theme here--- family-owned restaurants, authentic cuisine, caring staff, outstanding food. Works for me!

Los Molcajetes is known for their molcajete dishes (hence the clever name). So, I had Tilapia Molcajete. For those not familiar with a "molcajete", it is the Mexican version of a mortar and pestle tool, made from volcanic rock. Claudia, my server,offered to blend the mild sauce with the really spicy sauce to make Goldilocks here happy with juuuuusst the right amount of spice.

The entire dining experience was truly outstanding. The portions of food was perfect; the prices are awesome; the staff were all fantastic, friendly and attentive, particularly Claudia. This link that provides a bit on the history of this family-owned restaurant is worth the read.

I can't wait to return to try some of their other dishes.
If you are in the College Station area, looking for the best, authentic Mexican food, give Los Malcajetes a try. I promise you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank chefviking_ME

Reviewed March 16, 2012

We visited this restaurant based on reviews while on our recent Texas vacation. Wow - I must have entirely different taste than everyone who has given good reviews of the food at this restaurant. It was awful!! Our server took our order, wrote it down, read it back, and then had to come back and double-check on two different things. When we got our food, it didn't even look good..and then we tasted it. I had the most flavorless tacos I have ever eaten, and my husband had enchiladas that looked like they had been incinerated. The rice and beans were disgusting. We had to ask for drink refills, and then we had to remind our server what we were drinking. I can see this being a problem if the restaurant was busy, but we were the only table he was waiting on. I will say the place was clean, but that's about all I can agree with from the other reviews. YUCK!!!

Reviewed February 27, 2012

This is a family owned restaurant. It is exceptionally clean and well run. The food is excellent. The menu has many different choices. There are many typical Tex Mex sellections on the menu. However, there are also some wonderful interior Mexican choices. The food is delicious. I especially like all the shrmp dishes. We go to this restaurant at least once a week. The breakfast menus are wonderful and inventive. I love it all. This is a hidden jewel frequented by locals. Tourists have not found this gem,yet. The service is good and many of the family will wait on you. This is a terrific place.

1  Thank pmptexas
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Authentic food. The servers are very friendly. I like the chiles rellenos. They have good menudo on the weekend.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

The food here is consistently good with friendly service.