“Beautiful building and rooms, but mediocre breakfast and oh the TRAINS.”
Review of Ant Street Inn

Ant Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Brenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 18, 2011

All in all I would stay here again, now that I know what to be aware of and to plan on a different breakfast option. The Inn is lovely and my room, Atlanta, was VERY comfortable. I was on a mom weekend away and was just looking for a lovely place for a little pampering and some peace and quite. Well I felt pampered but there was no peace and quite at night anyway. Trains run all day and night and are REALLY close by, so you can only imagine how loud it can be. No one mentioned this on check-in, I read it in the little binder in the room on my second day, but ear plugs are provided in the cotton ball jar in the bathroom. It would have been nice to have been warned. The breakfast in the Capital Grill was not very good at all, I usually love breakfast when staying at a bed and breakfast but felt like I would have done better to have gone out somewhere else, and while the inn pays for your meal you are left with the tip. Like I said I would stay here again as the place is beautiful and wll appointed, and the little touches to make you feel at home are nice, but now I know about the earplugs.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank queenleahkey
redfireant, Owner at Ant Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011

You will be very happy to hear that just this week the city announced that a "Quiet Zone" will be in place by July. This means that the train engineers will not be allowed to blow a warning horn as they pass through the city. Of course, we have some guests who are disappointed they will not enjoy the nostalgia of hearing the train in the night.

We just received a compliment this morning from a gentleman on the delicious breakfast. Notwithstanding, we are now offering guests their choice from the breakfast menu, rather than predetermined selections. Included are omelets, waffles, French toast, pancakes, Migas, and eggs prepared your way. Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine and Huevos Rancheros are also available on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Our newly expanded breakfast menu should help to satisfy you next time.

Thank you again for your comments. We're listening and here to make your stay enjoyable. We hope you come back in July for a restful night!

Reviewed January 16, 2011

Pam & Cindy were so gracious from the moment we made our reservation request
online, til we were waving goodbye as we departed! We stayed in the San Antonio Suite
and found it ever bit as fascinating in person as it was described. Very, very clean with
all the modern amenities including a fridge, TV and coffee maker. Huge bathroom with the best jacuzzi ever and an incredible separate open shower. Talk about being spoiled now! So relaxing along with the gas fireplace and a very comfortable bed. Breakfast
in the on-site cafe offers quite a variety, and ours came quicklly and were just right.
The history of the inn and the obvious love and attention to details make this a truly special place to stay. Certainly hope to return and stay longer!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2009

This Inn is a Great Place , Great Location!!!!!, the staff was very nice. The rooms have 12' ceilings. Beds are wonderful. What a Grand Old Building ....... My only draw back about the Inn ( TRAINS RUN ALL NIGHT LONG...........NO SLEEP, I COUNTED 8 DIFFERENT TIMES THAT NIGHT AND EARLY MORNING HOURS..........) Maybe I didn't drink enough wine , during the wine and cheese hour 5:30 until 6:30. Local wine from Pleasant Hill winery, very good wine. Recommend the Inn bring ear pluges..

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I really don't know what else the innkeepers could do to ensure a wonderful stay for their guests. Beautiful antiques, comfortable beds, luxurious towels, helpful staff, Dove chocolates and Blue Bell ice cream.....I ask for a gift certificate to the Ant Street Inn every Christmas.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2009

My room was a large room on the second floor. The bed was wonderful and and so cozy! I did hear one train and it added to the charm of staying in an historic hotel, right in the middle of a small town in a beautiful area of Texas. I made a side trip to the Antique Rose Emporium, a place I love to visit.
I look forward to my next trip to Brenham and the Ant Street Inn.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Excellent B&B. The owners are there all the time, seeing to your needs. They are very nice and helpful. The breakfast in the attached Capitol Grill was excellent. We ended up eating lunch there as well. All their food is great! Don't forget that the B&B offers cheese and crackers in the lobby from 5:30 - 6:30.

I agree that the rooms weren't over-remodeled to the point of losing their charm, which was wonderful. Our room (the Louisville, #208) was perfect, from the exposed brick wall, to the 12 foot ceilings, to the antique typewriter on the desk, to the half canopy over the bed. They did a great job with the bathrooms, as they had an antique look while being modern in function. The room was very clean and well stocked with nice thick towels. Don't forget the free Blue Bell ice cream located in the lobby fridge.

I read some complaints about hearing the train and it keeping you awake at night, but we weren't bothered a bit. You can hear it some in the main lobbies, but it's not loud at all in the room. We slept all night long with no problem.

The Inn is located right in the middle of the downtown historic district, which is perfect if you are into antiques. You can also walk to many restaurants. Once we checked in, we never used the car until we left.

We'd definitely give Ant Street a 2 thumbs up and highly recommend it to anyone visiting Brenham.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2008

We enjoyed true Texas hospitality in a grand and glorious manner as we retreated to Brenham for a girl's getaway. Pam and Tommy have created such an inviting and truly first class boutique hotel with historic flair. The Ant Street Inn is filled with exquisite American antiques, polished hardwood floors and elegant Oriental rugs. The included scrumptous breakfast at the onsite Capital Grill was a wonderful beginning to our day of ultimate shopping and fine dining all within walking distance. Brenham's infamous Bluebell ice cream is always available in the refreshment room and we enjoyed it while relaxing in rocking chairs on the veranda overlooking the courtyard garden.
Our large bedroom and bath were equipped with all the modern conveniences as it transported us back in time with the lovely antique furnishings. The luxurious bed linens provided the ultimate in sleeping comfort. I wholeheartedly agree with the statement made in Southern Lady magazine, "Ahh, getting into bed at the Ant Street Inn is like climbing into a cloud." We will return!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends