Out experience with Hampton Inns is that they are not consistent in meeting expectations. For example, some have carefully thought out and prepared breakfasts, some you are lucky if the food is not cold. Housekeeping seems to vary from excellent where the room looks and smells like has been carefully cleaned, to those where you have to ask for the Kleenex, a backup roll of toilet paper, and caffeinated coffee. Some make the bed carefully, some more like our kids when they were teenagers.
I believe this directly reflects the attitudes of the inn managers and the attention they pay to detail. In this case, when we checked in the manager was away and we had to just stand around in the lobby waiting since there was no bell or other means of signaling at the front desk. When you are tired and ready to hit the room, this makes a poor impression. When the manager did come, there was no friendly welcome but rather an attitude of indifference. We have experienced this even in some of the expensive hotels in Washington, D.C., so it did not make us upset, but it did not make us glad to be there either.
What was irritating was that the manager on duty said he could not find us on the Hilton Honors network, although we have been members for many years, get regular emails, and had stayed at Hilton owned facilities during the summer. Consequently, we were not offered internet or points for the room reservation. It took pulling back emails from our iPhones and providing them to the manager to get those services. This could be a Hilton chain problem and not the manager's, but it added to the feeling that we were not really welcome as guests.
The final issue was the coffee pot. We like coffee in our room when we first wake up in the morning, since we do not go down for breakfast until after we have cleaned up. The pot took almost 15 minutes of sputtering and only dribbled out 1/3 cup of coffee. Understanding this can happen, we reported the problem to housekeeping, who said they would tell the manager so it could be replaced for the next day. When we returned that evening, it had not been replaced and still had the tiny bit of coffee in the pot that was made that morning. I do not believe this was a housekeeping issue, since the room was well cleaned, the bed smartly made, and the bathroom in very good condition. Added to the previous experience, we just took it to be another indication that our business did not mean that much to the hotel. I should mention at this point that we were traveling with another couple, and staying more than one night, so the hotel bill was significant.
Maybe housekeeping should have followed up on our complaint. Maybe it just got lost in the shuffle. In general we found housekeeping and other staff to be very friendly, helpful, and competent. But personally I think hotel policy should be consistent and communicated well to the managers about their responsibilities. With the choices available to travelers today, I would suggest that first impressions at any given facility (usually the front desk) can make a real difference in the customer experience, and in how the entire hotel chain is perceived.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located one block from US 290, our hotel puts you within reach of Blue Bell ice cream, the calm waters of Lake Somerville and glorious flowers at the Antique Rose Emporium. Each room comes with an always clean and fresh Hampton bed(R) and complimentary WiFi to help you stay connected. Enjoy our free hot breakfast each morning, stay active in our fitness room, take a dip in our heated indoor pool, or stay productive at our business center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Brenham reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn And Suites Brenham
- Hampton Inn & Suites Brenham Hotel Brenham