“I love this 1800 Fort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lodging at Fort Clark Springs

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brackettville
Lodging at Fort Clark Springs
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brackettville
Brackettville, Texas
“I love this 1800 Fort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I feel in love with the history, stone buildings, museum, wildlife, golf, spring pool, safe streets, and friendly people; the first time I drove through the front gates.. I plan on retiring in this wonderful place in a few years... I can not wait to be there and watch the historical reenactments and help be a part of the future of this great resort.

Room Tip: There is a new Wonderful place to eat in Brackettville besides the Hardware store.... Drive thru...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank nohughes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here recently during a trip out to West Texas. I had been here previously - so I expected a modest room at a modest price. Prices have risen since my last visit. Room cost was $65 plus $25 for a pet - So cost was $90 for a modest room with few amenities and non working wi fi. Still a neat location - biggest plus is that all people coming in the place go through a security gate. I wouldn't rule out staying here again, but I do wish the cost was a bit less - especially the pet fee.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jon_Cooley
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been to Brackettville (Texas), six or seven years in a row. And every time I've stayed at the fort. If you enjoy history this is the place. As for breakfast, I highly recommend The Krazy Chicken (no joke) directly across from the fort. Family run, very rustic (right out of a John Wayne movie) but the food is great! I was last there in 2011.
(Foot note; I've been around the world twice from (5) star hotels to ( "0") stars, & I still love Fort Clark.)

Room Tip: We stayed in numerous rooms at the fort, no complaints.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank IBubbie
Fort Clark Springs, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Fort Clark Springs Barracks have been updated. Rooms are newly painted ,local TV, internet ,all rooms non smoking. We have a large population of Wind Farm residents during the week,so try to call early for reservations. New front office staff who are very willing to fit your needs. Rooms are "spartan" to preserve the Frontier atmosphere of the Historical Fort. Dining is lacking in that the three eateries close at 8 pm. Golf Course is tournament ready w 18 holes course and a par 3 course. Many walking and hiking trails and lots of wild life. There is no driving fast in Fort Clark Springs due to White Tail ,Axis, and Texas Turkeys. We also have a full service RV park. Remember we are a small community with great people.

Room Tip: No elevators to upstairs balcony rooms - what a view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank momofizz
Austin, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

We were so excited to learn that the barracks motel was again accepting dogs ($25 fee per stay) but our experience this time has been funky from the start. First, no one replied to our online reservation request and we had to call to confirm (they argued they had replied, which they had not). We requested downstairs nonsmoking, and when we arrived, they'd assigned us a room in front of the stairs & ice machine, a noisy and inconvenient location I remembered from past visits. When we asked to move, they said all n/s downstairs rooms were taken and we were given option of upstairs (narrow, difficult stairs and heat rises) or a smoking downstairs room. We took the upstairs option. It took about 5 hrs for the AC unit to even begin to work against the probably 100 degree heat that was trapped in the room (14 ft ceilings or higher). I understand they can't afford to turn on ACs before guests arrived, but a downstairs room would have been cooler and better for our 50-plus knees and 11 yr old dog. At least four rooms were never taken that night that were the type we requested---they were simply unwilling to change the room numbers that had been randomly assigned in the computer system to give us a comfortable room. The downstairs nonsmoking rooms are still unoccupied as I type this midmorning the next day. In general, the rooms are dirty and worn. I tried not to look at the baseboard next to the toilet (gag) or the spaces behind pieces of furniture. There has not been one upgrade in the ten years I've been coming here, and sadly the invasion of Homeland Security (Border Patrol) into the little sleepy dusty burg of Bracketville has been a decline in the charm level (yes I'm being ironic) by a factor of about 100x. For its many drawbacks now, the once-cute motel is still the only option anywhere near the lovely pool, but reluctantly we are crossing Ft C off our list of favorite places to go, based on this experience. The front desk clerk was completely unhelpful, bordering on openly rude (one lady was nice, but didn't appear to be the Alpha dog)--there is no concern for customer service. No internet connection, by the way. I'm typing this in the Bracketville county library, which is altogether nicer and cooler place than the room across the road we are paying for.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank LuckyWest
Fresno, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

The rooms are all in the old barraks of Fort Clark. They are very simple, but had everything we needed for a good night's sleep. The history of the Fort is fasinating both for its military and film history. John Wayne used it as a base for his film company and stayed in one of the former officer's homes. The $44 a night price was well worth the trip into history.
However be forwarned that finding a meal is the challenge in Brackettsville.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank reader60
BURLINGTON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

This is a very different place--ideal for those who love hiling trails along a creek and looking at historically interesting buildings---lots of wild life viewing- deer, turkeys all kinds of birds---it is on the Texas birding trail -the swimming pool is amazing- spring fed and no chlorine---the Motel is good and right in the Old Cavalry Fort Area and in a gated community.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank margaretannie

Been to Lodging at Fort Clark Springs? Share your experiences!