“Terrible Place ~ Gives Americans Best Value Inn a Bad Name”

Americas Best Value Inn - Bonham
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bonham
Houston, Texas
“Terrible Place ~ Gives Americans Best Value Inn a Bad Name”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

CONS: Left over used soap in shower from previous travelor, Dead flies and very dusty top of TV cabinet, door deadbolt did not latch, several cigarette burns in sheets, extreme dust behind night stand (had to plug in my phone charger), musky smell, 1 MONTH old bagels (plastic clip on bagel bag is dated, but perhaps they were previously frozen bagels), waffle mix was heavily watered down, tv remote had no battery cover so the batteries kept falling out, shower head was too low (and I'm 5'3"), no make ready/freshening up for multiple night stay
PROS: quiet, fast & easy internet connection, no evidence of bed bugs, a/c was cold, Shampoo, Conditioner & Lotion were of high quality brand names (Garnier & Suave)

I have never stayed at an Americans Best Value (this location was previously called 5 star inn), and my experience at this location will keep me from giving this chain another chance. I will only use this chain if I have no other options.

Breakfast was offered from 6-10 am. At 9:10 am, there was no longer any waffle mix and the front desk would not make more, even though I spotted 3 cases of waffle mix in the corner. Dissapointing, but we just grabbed one donut and went out for breakfast. On our second morning, we found the waffle mix so watered down that the waffle mix had seperated from the water and sizzled as soon as you poured it on the waffle maker. I had to use four cups and drain off the seperated water to make one usable cup. The absolute worst breakfast I have ever experienced while traveling. Bring your own poptarts and have a better breakfast than what this location offers!

The room was, by far, the dirtiest motel room I have ever seen. Dust bunnies everywhere! I believe my 18 yr old son could clean a room better! The bathroom had left over used soap and the bathroom wall had a piece of a bandaid stuck to it. Wear flip flops or DARK socks while staying here, at all times.

It is a shame that the owners of Americans Best Value Inn would allow their name to be used by the management in Bonham. Travel Lodge is better.

Please do not stay at this place with children or with your female significant other! Take her to the next city or look up the local B&B.

Room Tip: Save 15% by signing up for their hotel card & get extended check out times
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Kathleeniam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

I was at Bonham for 5 nights due to some business work I needed to do at the VA hospital. I paid $40 a night due to their special they were having. I was really surprised, this is the best hotel in Bonham period. The room was neat and clean when I first arrived. They had an LCD tv and their wireless internet was pretty fast. Their bed was decent, I really didn't like their pillows because they were a little too soft. Luckily I had brought my own pillows from home. They do serve a complementary cold breakfast that consists of bagels, doughnuts, cereal and coffee. Staff was pretty friendly, I had a few complaints about the refrigerator not working and they looked at it within a few hours.

For $40 a night, I had no complaints.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank aznragedragon
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

This hotel was recommended by two workers in the county courthouse as I was passing through Bonham. It is just south of town, off the state highway and very quiet. The grounds were neat and well-kept. I believe it was formerly a LaQuinta. I ended up staying here twice, outgoing and back from a trip and had two slightly different experiences. My first night, I was greeted, after a short wait, by a gentleman [Manager?] who was efficient, but not Texas friendly. All the singles were booked, but he gave me a double for single price. The room was large and clean and had frig, microwave, coffee maker, and good sized new TV with lots of channels. Wireless internet is available and fast. The bed was very comfortable, but had firm foam pillows. The bathroom was OK but lacked a bit in cleaning with dust bunnies in the exhaust fan and fingerprints on the edge of the shower surround. The bedside light didn't work, as the switch was broken and you had to plug it in to turn it on. I was also disappointed that the coffee maker did not work. On my second visit, I was greeted first by a family member who evidently was new to the country and tried to help, but we waited until another gentleman came in to check me in. This room was very similar, being a double room, but everything worked well and the bathroom was cleaner. So, the price of $50-60 was reasonable and I had a good, quiet nights' rest. I would stay here again if stopping in Bonham.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank texasrepublichistory
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

The staff was courteous and friendly. When I first entered the room, it smelled musty, I think from the air conditioner. The bed was comfy and there was a fridge, microwave, and coffee machine; they all came in handy. The cleanliness of the room was average. The quality of the shampoo and body lotion took me by surprise, they were better than I expected. Not the Taj Mahal, but if you need a place to lay your head for a night it's okay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank calledout
abvibonham, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Bonham, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I hope that you come visit us again.

Bob
bonham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2008

The many experiences I have had with your establishment have been less than enjoyable to say the least. I stay at your facility at least three times a month and its the same old routine every time.

The expectation to be courteous and to say "Thank You" every once in a while would be nice!!

The probability of another motel coming to town is very slim but I can assure you that I am doing all I can to change that!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — indians
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank angusfcl

Travelers are raving about these Bonham hotels

tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

the rooms very clean, employees very friendly, quiet and no one bothered you. breakfast good have been a little better. i prefer muffins and bacan other than that very good.

• Liked — close to where i had to go
  • Disliked — could have been better breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank magees
Marysville California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one night only. The room smelled horrible, old ciggerette smoke. The tub was stained and smelled like mildew. We normally are not that picky, but this place was a dump. We booked our next two nights in Sherman, thirty miles away at a clean Hampton Inn. Go somewhere else, you will be glad you did.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — It was filthy.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank golfbear
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonham
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bonham
La Quinta Inn & Suites Sherman
Granny Lou's B&B
Granny Lou's B&B
#1 of 2 in Bonham

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Bonham? Share your experiences!