“Wonderful hotel in the Mountain Pine Ridge”
Review of Hidden Valley Inn

Hidden Valley Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 30, 2006

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hidden Valley Inn. The location is great for exploring the Mountain Pine Ridge area. The property is very remote with nice trails, isolated waterfalls and lots of birds. The star gazing opportunities are great. The rooms are nice and large. We had an ant infestation in our bathroom that I could have done without.

The dining room was very nice, but the dinner was very expensive. Breakfast was good. We took a trip to Caracol using our own vehicle and the lodge prepared a wonderful picnic lunch for us to take along.

There did appear to be a bit of an attitude among certain staff members, but outside of that, the service was very good.

We would highly recommend staying here if you are looking to explore the Mountain Pine Ridge region and Caracol.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank pands

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Hidden Valley for part of our honeymoon in Belize. We absolutely loved it.

The waterfalls, which are exclusive to Hidden Valley guests, are breathtaking. One of the best parts of our trip was our private waterfall day. A member of the staff drops you off in the rainforest with a map and two-way radios (this sounds scary but its not) so that you can wander around and view several different waterfalls before arriving at your private waterfall. Upon arrriving, we found our waterfall and gorgeous lagoon, thatched-roof cabana with hammocks, lunch set up in coolers and champagne. It was the most romantic and beautiful setting.

The rooms are very pretty and in a gorgeous setting. It was cool out while we were there so we slept with our windows open and our fireplace lit. Every morning we woke up to the sounds of birds that we had never heard.

The best part of Hidden Valley is without a doubt the food. We were shocked to find some of the best cuisine that we have ever eaten here in Central America in the middle of the Rainforest!I cannot rave enough about the food.

Runner up as the best part of Hidden Valley is the staff (especially Estella). Everyone could not have been more helpful, polite or friendly. We felt right at home here and didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: February 2006
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 18, 2006

There's nothing more I can add to the already glowing reviews. I've traveled extensively, although this was my first trip to Belize, and I enjoyed Hidden Valley Inn so much that I would like to return next year. My husband chose it based on the reviews here, and HVI definitely deserves the highest ratings. We were there in January, which is supposed to be high season, but we practically had the place to ourselves, other than a group of birdwatchers who had their own itinerary.

We rented a car at the airport, and followed the very detailed directions HVI had sent us. The two hour drive over bumpy roads was like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland (fun!). It had been raining a lot the week prior to our arrival, so I don't know whether that made the roads worse.

First Impressions: Elmer greeted us outside with cool limeade and wet facecloths. Our room was clean and comfortable. No pressure, they really give you a chance to relax and decompress when you arrive.

Food: The food was superb! We stayed 3 days and nights, with a quite varied menu. Because the lodge and restaurant are for guests only, they take your dinner order in the morning, so they prepare only your meals without wasting extra food. They typically give you three choices (vegetarian, local specialty, american/european). They also ask if you have any food sensitivities when you arrive. If you will be hiking that day, they prepare a basic but filling bagged lunch with extra energy snacks. If you will be driving, they provide a more elaborate picnic lunch. We had a chance to sample both types of lunches, which were all great.

Another huge plus is that the water is drinkable, coming from a spring on the property.

What to do: The highlight of our trip was the waterfall hiking. See my photos. You will not believe the turquoise blue of the water. I don't know if it's just the time of year, due to recent rains, or if it's always that color, but just gorgeous. They will tailor a route for you based on your level of fitness and how strenuous you want it to be. They specifically gave us routes that would ensure we wouldn't run into other guests during the day. They really value your privacy. Still, it's nice to be given a walkie talkie for emergencies, to feel 100% safe. I love how the property is closed to non-guests (unlike at 1000 ft falls or the Coppola place), so you know you won't run into anyone else.

We also spent a day at the Caracol ruins and the Rio On Cave. We enjoyed it very much on our own, but having a guide might have been helpful too as far as understanding what we were looking at. But we still had a great time.

Service: The employees of the Inn are very friendly and helpful, as we found to be the case with all Belizeans. I can't say enough positive things about them. I had accidently left my purse in the restaurant after breakfast, and as I ran out of my room to fetch it, I was met by the smiling waitress already bringing it back to me.

Value: I felt it was very good value. Although not the lowest prices, you get so much here (great food, personalized service). Also, they'll do a load of laundry for only $5, which is a great deal considering how muddy our clothes were after a day of hiking.

• Stayed: January 2006

#1 of 1 in Cristo Rey
The Lodge at Chaa Creek
The Lodge at Chaa Creek
#5 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Hidden Valley Inn? Share your experiences!