My husband and I recently returned from Hidden Valley Inn. We had an exceptional vacation there. We decided to take a private plane (Javiers) from Belize City to the resort which is well-worth it as it is only 1/2 hour away by plane.
The staff were wonderful: courteous, helpful and friendly. The food was good with some local dishes, but not oustanding. They had a full bar service every night where all the visitors to the Inn got together in the evenings before dinner to exchange stories. We met some very nice people staying there!
The hiking trails were outstanding: perfectly natural, not a scrap of garbage and not a human being in sight. We are looking forward to returning to see the new escarpment trail that is being built to bring tourists down to an area that hasn't seen human beings in 1500 years!
Don't miss the cascades trail (through dozens of waterfalls) and be sure to visit Secret Pools and Falls for a special treat and enjoy your packed lunch there.
We needed to use the radios for pickup on our longest hiking trail as we lost track of time and would have returned back in the dark, if they didn't come to pick us up! (very handy to have that service out in the forest)
We also tried out the mountain bikes and canoed in the local lake. The excursion to the Mayan ruins was also fun and educational. (there is a military escort for the last hour due to a problem years ago with some local thugs trying to rob the tourists.. but no problems now)
The room was wonderful and kept very clean. We really enjoyed the fireplace at night.
The only negative (which was expected) was that there are certainly biting blackfly-like bugs. (no mosquitoes). Covering up and some deet does the trick, though.
Visiting the jungle; however, is not for the squeamish who can't handle some not-so-welcome visitors. For instance, a scorpion got into our room that my husband speared with a walking stick (nothing can get under your bed, though). A couple guests said they also saw a viper on one of their hiking trails, but we didn't see any snakes at all. Common sense... staying out of these critters way is a good idea. I did get a few bites from some fire ants.. unpleasant, but they didn't leave any lasting welts.
The HVI certainly exceeded our expectations and we will definitely be back in the future, hopefully with friends to enjoy the pristine jungle & forest areas again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden Valley Inn, a Luxury Life Style Boutique Hotel with only 12 rooms, is located on a 7200 acres private reserve in the Mountain Pine Ridge, Cayo District in Belize. This intimate eco resort offers quality accommodation, fine gourmet food and attentive service in a natural environment. The flora, wildlife and bird watching here are truly unique in the region. Guests staying at this Intimate Luxury Boutique Hotel enjoy exclusive access to over 90 miles of hiking and mountain biking trails as well as many secluded Crystal Pools and Waterfalls set in a tropical rainforest. For those seeking romance, one of the waterfalls may be reserved exclusively for the day.Situated in the Maya mountains, also serves as a convenient base for visiting the various scenic and historical attractions of the area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Hidden Valley Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hidden Valley Hotel San Ignacio
- Hidden Valley San Ignacio