“Amazing waterfalls, lovely rooms!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hidden Valley Inn

Hidden Valley Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brookfield, CT
“Amazing waterfalls, lovely rooms!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We can't wait to go back. We went with our children, 8 and 10, and had adjoining rooms that connected by a lovely screened porch with hammocks that the kids loved. The outdoor showers were amazing- built out of rock to appear as a waterfall. After having swum up to each of the 3 waterfalls on the amazing property during the day, the shower under the stars at night helped remind us of the beautiful day we had. The rooms/baths were very well appointed, and the staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our meals, and the kids could eat off the "tavern" menu if they didn't like the dinner. It was a bit cool by the pool in April when we were there and, since the hot tub heater wasn't working, I didn't swim in the pool (the kids didn't care and swam anyway). However, we had such great outings during the day that we didn't care about the pool. Strongly recommend you save some time to explore the property which is beautiful- best to have your own vehicle (if you don't mind driving on the dirt "road") but they will drop off/pick you up via walkie talkie if you want. It takes 30 minutes to get anywhere off property and there are few restaurants, so strongly recommend planning on eating all your meals there. They will pack meals for you or set up a picnic at one of the waterfalls. Lots of excursions off property of interest as - cave canoeing, butterfly farm, mayan ruins, etc. We only spent 4 days, wish we had more time!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank SilkeB441

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

What a great place to relax and explore. I felt like I was at a yoga retreat, or maybe or a nature preserve. Sometimes you feel so isolated that its eerie but amazing at the same time.

There are several, miles and miles,  of trails throughout the property that you can explore on foot, mountain bike or they can drive you. I did several of the hike trails and mountain bike trails. The bikes need some service done as some of the gears don't work well,  but overall it's a great amenity.

The trails and maps are very well labeled and they give you a two way radio to use in case you don't want to come back on your own or get lost, or need help. I didn't use the radios but it was comforting to know I had one.

The pool and hot tub were great although, in July when I went,  no one was ever at the pool. I had my own pool the entire stay. Bar service,  waiters, the masseuse, the front desk staff and the new managers were all fantastic.  The managers stopped by several times while dining to see how the stay was going,  and all around just seemed to care.

If there was one employee who really stood out it was the tour guide Freddy. He spent several days with me on various tours and has unlimited knowledge of the area,  the Mayans, and the people.  He was so friendly, helpful,  and patient.

Ever been to a nice hotel where the staff is nice but then holds out their hand for a tip?  I honestly think the staff here are just genuinely nice. No holding out their hands here.

The rooms are nice, not five star luxury,  but in this setting they shouldn't be.  There is no TV, no AC, but there are screened windows and a ceiling fan. Despite feeling like you're going to be invaded by bugs, I saw exactly zero in my room in the several nights I was there. And then at includes the first night where I did a night walk tour (to find spiders) right before bed...so I was looking when I got back to my room!

The food was very good. I booked with the meal plan. Breakfast was hot plates like omelets, waffles etc and cold like pastries, cereal,  fruit etc. Their coffee that they grow on-site is especially good and available all day. Lunch was a variety and dinner was a ton of food. After tours or hiking it was perfect though.  All of it tasted great and seemed healthy.

While here I did zip lining, went to the market in San Ignacio, Barton Creek,  and ATM. The ATM tour should be an absolute must do. See my review on that page for that.

The on site hiking and biking trails are really amazing. The butterfly falls especially was so beautiful, like from a movie.

The (semi) bad?

- Wifi in my room didn't work,  the lobby wifi did. Not a big deal for a nature place like this.

- It's very remote. But that adds to the allure. The "roads" coming in are very, very bumpy and long. Depending on where you're driving in from it may be 2-3 hrs.   Which also means you can't really eat off site or go into town without it being a several hour trip. But then you'd sacrifice the remoteness you get with hidden valley otherwise.

Overall it's a fantastic hotel,  made so especially by its wonderful staff.  Its nature lover's grounds, and access to tours only make it even better.

Without a doubt would recommend to other travelers.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were lucky enough to stay at Hidden Valley for three nights, one of which we had the lodge to ourselves and were spoiled rotten by Britt, Wayne and their team. This included an al fresco dinner by the pool under the stars and getting to choose the menu for the next night. The food was great and there's always a little treat late afternoon to keep you going! The real USP of Hidden Valley is the extensive range of trails on the property. One of our favourite days of the honeymoon was trekking around the reserve: we did two long walks and never saw another soul, apart from when we radio'd to be collected and dropped off! We swam in Butterfly Falls and the Hidden Pools, and loved clambering over bridges and up hills. Sadly we didn't see anything of note wildlife-wise, although looking at the nature book everyone else clearly did! Our trip to Caracol (complete with howler monkeys), Rio Frio Caves and Rio On Pools was fantastic too. We would heartily recommend staying here and taking in all it has to offer - it's like nowhere else. Wishing Wayne and Britt the best of luck with everything and apologies for the tardiness in posting this review! Hope to see you again one day :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Farmingdale, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Peace and amazement abound. The estate feels like a good friend's beautiful home in an awesome setting. Miles and miles of beautiful trails with breathtaking waterfalls - all exclusive to the small property, we felt alone in paradise. Near caving, Caracol - the most impressive of the Maya sites in Belize, Maya village experiences and more...play during the day, enjoy the elegance at night. Rooms are beautiful with fireplace, cozy, with a great lounge and real dining room. Guides were super. On the outside, rooms are reserved, inside, spacious, comfortable and lovely...with home made cookies at night! Having stayed in the jungle before, there is some major comfort in having solid rooftops and laundry service. Only wish we had more time at the hotel. We booked ourselves solid and forgot to just chill out. The staff service is authentic, and genuine, without polish.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are about the same, except the estate suite....I like that one because it faces out...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Caye Corker, Belize, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Spent four days doing yoga, walking, biking, loafing in pools (both natural and the kind that comes with drinks and umbrellas) and EATING. Hidden Valley has probably the most thoughtful, perfect service I have ever experienced! The large and tastefully decorated room had every possible convencience imaginable, including a wood fireplace with fire already laid, rose-petalled bath salts and a jar of cookies. All the staff (and there is plenty) is sweet, courteous and competent. The food is out of this world - all the snacks I had brought went uneaten, as the food provided was so good and plentiful, you couldn't wish for anything else. Special dietary needs were happily catered to. It seems like you can't think of anything you could possibly want or need that the staff and management haven't thought of already! The trail signage alone was most impressive. I'm one of these people that can get lost in a parking lot - but between the careful placement of signs on every possible junction and the map provided, I could walk worry-free on miles and miles of trails. There are jungles along the creek bottoms and savanna on the plateau, and wide mist-shrouded African-looking views with countless waterfalls. The two-ray radio they gave me added peace of mind, so I was happy to go rambling on my own. Guides Freddy and Walter were extremely knowledgable and took great care of us. The grounds are beautiful, abounding with orchids and heliconias. The waterfalls are amazing, and you can get so CLOSE, and they are all yours! The mountain bikes needed a bit of repair, but there are so many scenic destinations within walking distance, that didn't even matter. Yes, there are little biting flies, but not the maddening cloud of buzzing mosquitoes you might imagine - just small noiseless critters you won't even notice, but they will bite you a bit so you may itch later if you don't spray up. So bring the bug juice of your choice, and enjoy! I have a hard time deciding which aspect I enjoyed more, being pappered with so much luxury and warmth, or being surrounded by so much exclusive outdoor playground , but having both together made this place into a rare treat.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christina M
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I really enjoyed our stay at Hidden Valley Inn. While on the property we only went to Butterfly Falls and I loved that outing. Like others have said, I wish that we had spent more time exploring the property. But we had already signed up for tours. We went to Tikal and that was amazing. On another day we toured the Butterfly Farm and went for a cave canoe trip that we enjoyed. All of the arrangements were made professionally and efficiently. The day after we arrived the new managers arrived.

The food is just okay. On the night that the new manager was in the kitchen the food greatly improved and we were looking forward to the next evenings meal, but the regular chef was back after that. There are many items on the menu that were simply variations of the same meat. On one evening they served an outdoor BBQ, which I really liked but again the food still needs to be improved and be more inventive. I anticipate that kitchen will be improving.

The service was fantastic and one particular waiter/bartender was the best (I forgot his name.) Everyone went out of their way to make sure everything was taken care of. The rooms are okay. The bed is adequate. The bathroom was a bit dated and the water pressure was low. Housekeeping was great and the laundry service impeccable. The pool is nice, but the hot tub is broken. Be aware that the road to and from the Inn is terrible and is another reason to stay on the property. The WIFI was poor in the rooms, but great in the main room.

I believe that with effort this resort can be 1st class and I wish the new manager all the best. I will be reading future reviews with great interest because I am looking forward to a return visit to spend more time enjoying the extensive hiking and trails to waterfalls.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GMHVI, General Manager at Hidden Valley Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Lorna C

Thank you for your valued feedback and kind words about the service the Hidden Valley Inn staff provided - we always appreciate having our staff acknowledged in this regard.

We are sorry that you felt the menu was not varied enough and this is something we will be looking into and hoping to change in the near future! Our BBQ evening is a great way to allow our guests to sample some traditional Belizean cuisine and it’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hidden Valley Inn to explore more of our beautiful waterfalls and hiking trails, and we are happy to let you know the hot tub is once more in working order and ready for you when you return!

Kind regards
Britt & Wayne
Darby, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

A wonderful experience, coming from Montana the dirt roads were no problem. Rudy, Freddie and Rick were the most experienced guides and gave 110% to our outings. The staff and food were wonderful. One day we were the only guess and enjoyed having the whole reserve to ourselves.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
#4 of 14 in San Ignacio
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
#1 of 1 in San Antonio

Been to Hidden Valley Inn? Share your experiences!