“Everything was fantastic!”

Blancaneaux Lodge
Toronto
“Everything was fantastic!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Blancaneaux for 4 nights in early January. We were fortunate to have good weather for the first couple of days when we toured Caracol and Tikal. Caracol is a must-do, partly because it is an adventure just to get there! Tikal was also very impressive, but in a different way, however, a 4 hour drive there and a 3.5 hour drive back did make it a very long day, although it was a great way to see more of Belize and Guatemala. Although the weather deteriorated during out last couple of days, we still really enjoyed the property. We did the Big Rock Falls hike and the Orchid Heaven Trek. Big Rock Falls was another wonderful adventure - Orchid Heaven Trek was a much easier, and not as interesting hike.
While on property, the lodge is the only place you can dine, however, the food was fantastic. Our server, Johnny, was very friendly and was happy to share his experiences regarding life in Belize.
The main restaurant has an option for dining indoors and outdoors. We always chose to eat outside so that we could admire the beautiful scenery and watch for parakeets and toucans (of which there were several!).
Our room was beautiful. Very peaceful. We enjoyed sitting on our deck and taking in the scenery. During turndown service, the staff would light candles, which created a nice ambience. Due to the unusually cool weather conditions, they provided a hot water bottle which was tucked into the sheets - a very nice touch!
I can't say enough good things about the staff, particularly at the front desk. There were 3 very capable young women on duty while we were there. While we didn't see the manager until we were checking out, we felt that the property was extremely well-managed, and that guests needs were a priority.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very private and have amazing views. We were provided a room that overlooked th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BrianandNaomi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
uk
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I visited for 3 days with my family ( 3 children under 10). We were upgraded from a family cabana to a 2 bed villa, which was absolutely amazing. The staff were amazing, especially the front desk, the concierge and Pedro our waiter for the first meals there.
The best part of our stay was definitely the accommodation and the customer service. We were all wowed by hot water bottles in the beds while we were at dinner. The kids menu was great too.
Obviously we would have preferred it if it hadn't rained as much as it did while we were there, but that didn't stop it being an amazing experience and the service being great. I was worried about driving our rental car to the airport when we left as the road was difficult due to the rain. They arranged for someone to take us past the worst parts at 6.30 in the morning, to make sure we were ok. Oh and the Japanese bath in the villa was a great way to spend a rainy afternoon. My children were asking when we could return before we had left!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 15, 2014

The setting, in the highlands of Belize, is most relaxing. The grounds, set up the slope from a rushing stream, are extensive and beautifully laid out. The cabins are well separated from each other. We had a garden cabin (#10) which was large with a high thatched roof. The bathroom was also large and had a walk-in shower as well as another in a square foot-high enclosure that would also serve as a shallow bath. The whole is quite open and completely screened. Be warned - this means that if the weather is cold the room will be cold. We were given a warm comforter and even a hot water bottle for sleeping, but it wasn't much fun during the daytime. We thought the rainy season was supposed to be well over by January but that turns out to be not true any more. We would try and go later another time. The food is varied and well prepared, and both food and wine were less expensive than we had expected. The included continental breakfast has fresh fruit and juice, and home-made pastries. Extras, such as eggs, are extra. All the staff people are friendly and helpful. It takes 2.5 hours from Belize airport to the lodge, the last hour on a very bumpy muddy track. This kind of track is also an issue for any side trip from the lodge. Such trips can take 45 minutes to twice that.

Room Tip: Our garden room was closer to the river than the others and had a partial river view - I can't i...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cancun
Reviewed January 4, 2014

went with family just for lunch as we were staying at the other lodge nearby, "Gaia". it was very good, great service. Very expensive also. They prepared for us fish ceviche which was not in the menu.
Hotel grounds are spectacular...............

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Schererville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This luxury resort in the middle of the jungle on a river is absolutely beautiful. The staff is fantastic and very accommodating. The surrounding villages give you a real sense of an amazing country. The cultural diversity is very apparent. We learned lots about different culture all while doing great activities and having a blast. The food was superb as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David G
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I decided last minute to book this resort and I was told about the 2.5 hour ride ($200. charge) from the airport although they forgot to inform me an hour would be over a very bumpy dirt road. The driver ended up getting stuck since they had a lot of rain several days before. The resort itself has a lot of hills and a rocky path which is dangerous at night and especially after several glasses of wine! I had a honey body scrub in the spa which was next to my room. It was heavenly but I was chilly since the temp was about 54 degrees. My room was fairly small but they did have a screened in patio with a hammock. I think the rooms are a little overpriced. The room was very chilly at night and they gave me a big comforter since there are only screens on the windows and doors. I went for a hike down by the river which was pretty wet and rough. They have a nice pool but they are still working on the hot springs and didn't have a completion date. Be prepared they turn off all the electricity for a couple hours during the day and at night. They have a nice horse stable and an organic garden. The food was fresh and mostly pasta and pizza on the menu, not much else to choose from although they did serve a Thanksgiving dinner which was over priced. I stayed at the other property (Turtle Inn) and I have to say the staff at this property were more attentive, calling you by your first name and making sure all your needs were met.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank TraveltheWorld2014
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband just returned from celebrating our anniversary in Belize at the Blancaneaux lodge. It was amazing!! The staff there is incredible! We had the hotel arrange our airport xfer with their own staff. Jorge picked us up and he was delightful! We learned so much about Belize and it's culture in our 3 hour ride to the resort, that time went very quickly. We had the luxury of staying in the Francis Ford Coppola villa the first night, it is unbelievable! We had "Melkey", a personal 24 hr butler to take care of our every need.
Unfortunately, when we arrived it was raining and did this for much of the trip. But, I told my husband, if I had to be anywhere and it was raining, I was happy it was here! The room is beautiful with the main room open to the outdoors. You sit just a bit above the river, so it is a nice way to fall asleep at night. The next day we transferred to the Enchanted Cabin and it was very luxurious, and very remote. They do provide you with a golf cart for your own transportation. This cabin gave us a completely different view of the property, with a breathtaking view of the valley. This cabin is very private, no neighbors, but extremely nice! If you don't mind, taking the golf cart everywhere you go it is fine. I do like the proximity of the Coppal villa a little better. When we transferred rooms, Melkey went with us. He was extremely knowledgeable about the country and its culture, and took time to answers all of our questions.

The Spa experience was nice. They had to temporarily relocate it because the rains had taken out the spa closer to the river. We did a 2 hour horseback ride with Abi, and again, very knowledgeable and you could tell the horses were very well taken care of. Their organic vegetable garden is amazing! They grow everything they can, right on property.

We also did a tour to the Mayan ruins of Xunantunich. Jorge was our guide. We could not have asked for a more experienced guide. I was so impressed with his knowledge of the Mayan history. I know he was much more knowledgeable than what other guides were telling their groups as I saw people looking over listening to what he was telling us, rather than their "blanket" presentation. After the tour, we stopped at a great little local place in town for lunch! It was a perfect day and we truly enjoyed every minute of it.

Our time at Blancaneaux went way to quickly! When we left, I felt like we were leaving family. The people of Belize are so friendly and warm! It is an amazing country and I would definitely go back!!

Room Tip: We had the best 2 rooms, so it is had to say. The Francis Ford Coppala villa is amazing!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Cristo Rey
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
#1 of 1 in San Antonio

Been to Blancaneaux Lodge? Share your experiences!