“Great breakfast tacos in a greasy spoon” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Austin. Houston, San Antonio
“Great breakfast tacos in a greasy spoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place isn't particularly nice, the service is inconsistent, but the tortillas are masterpieces of soft fluffiness and the breakfast tacos are incredibly reasonable. Spare yourself the coffee and order a diet coke...

Texas
“Tasty and a good value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

The food was a little different from the typical Tex-Mex, but it was good and very inexpensive. The only negatives were the salsas in squeeze bottles and straws that were too short for the enormous water glasses.

Austin, Texas
“Don't be fooled by the decor, the food is good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Great food at reasonable prices, even if the decor is chaotic. Great friendly waitstaff. Awesome fresh pico! The food will bring you back.

Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
“Best Mexican Food in Boerne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

I've been eating at Mague's (and at a variety of other Mexican restaurants in Boerne) for the last 15 years, and this is by far the best and most consistent of the bunch. The service is always quick (I don't particularly care whether it's "friendly" or not as long as it's not out-and-out rude), the prices are extremely reasonable, and the food is consistently good. (The place wouldn't always be packed if it wasn't.) I wouldn't be put off by the reviewer who only gave it one star - as I said, Mague's many virtues more than make up for any failures in the "friendliness" of the service. (Also - you never have to wait for your check - just proceed to the cash register when you're ready to leave.)

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TripleKG
Boerne, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible Service, Marginal Food = Never Going Back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

Mague’s Café is a hub of the Boerne early-morning crowd. It’s too bad their sense of entitlement mixed with average food make the experience not worth repeating.
I was first introduced to Mague’s almost a year ago by a dear friend that eats breakfast there almost every morning. This friend, and mentor, has often met me there to talk and eat, and those were good times…. But I’ll not be returning.
This morning I went in to grab some breakfast tacos for the family, an easy quick breakfast on busy mornings. Brenda, who later told me, is part of the family that owns Mague’s Café was at the register. She asked if I had called in my order, and I said, “No.” Apparently, this was an egregious error on my part! She huffed, then reluctantly took my order. 2 Potato Egg and Cheese, 4 Potato Bacon Egg and Cheese.
I guess she was so irritated at having to actually <take> an order, that she missed the last “Cheese”. The order came out wrong: no Cheese on the last 4 tacos. Simple problem, right? Add cheese to them, and wa-la! Perfect order… What happened next was shocking.
She began to argue with me about whether or not I gave her the right order to begin with. She was actually arguing with herself, because I wasn’t taking the bait. I simply kept repeating, quietly, because she was getting louder, that I just needed cheese added to the last 4. “So, do you want 4 tacos? What do you WANT?!? How many tacos do you want?!?!?” Again, shocked, I quietly said, “Six.”
Brenda was obviously angry at ME, maybe because she never wanted to take my order, maybe she gets peoples orders wrong all the time, maybe she should take a course in customer service? I don’t know and don’t care at this point. I did attempt to ask her if I had upset her. She blew me off.
Next the order came out, wrong again. Just the last 4 tacos. Now, she had struggled with the math calculations through all this, and at one point had given me money back. When I explained I still want the first 2 tacos on my order, she proclaimed, “Then you owe me the money I gave you back!” I gave it to her, with a tip. Not at any point did I suggest I would not be willing to pay for my food. Not at any point did I yell or belittle this woman. Maybe she hates the Café life, maybe her home life is less than desirable, maybe she had a bad customer experience herself just before, maybe I reminded her of someone she doesn’t like…. Again, I don’t care at this point. And, I won’t be returning.
The hot sauce is thin liquidy and tomatoey. The chips they serve are thick, hard and cold. I have only eaten breakfast food, which is often obviously prepared ahead of time and partially warmed up before thrown on a plate. Eggs are cooked to order, everything else coldy staged around them. My usual when dining in, Huevos Rancheros, is one of the worst I’ve even had. Beans are over-cooked, if bacon is ordered it lays on top, again cold, and the Ranchero Sauce tastes like it came out of a can.
But, I went for the community experience, the convenience, never for the food. So, as I said, no need for me to return at this point. The family should be careful about the sense of entitlement. Yes, I’m sure being one of the ONLY places in town open at the early hours with your cheap prices has made you profitable. Understand, that is the ONLY thing, and berating you customer in front of other customers, making a scene, it only make you look bad. And people don’t like drama. So, they’ll go find somewhere else to get a cheap early breakfast where they don’t have to deal with the b.s. Maybe Taqueria Guadalajara?

1 Thank MotherAdvocate