“It's out of the way, no matter what way your going, but worth the trip.”
Review of Welfare Cafe

Welfare Cafe
Ranked #14 of 106 Restaurants in Boerne
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Austin, Texas
“It's out of the way, no matter what way your going, but worth the trip.”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

What a great off the beaten path place the Welfare Cafe is. I strongly suggest a GPS to find it, or a good navigator. The trick is not to miss the split in the road right at another restaurant (PoPo's). It doesn't look like much from the front (see the photos) but this is one book you definitely don't want to judge by the cover. We were given the choice of dinning inside or outside. It had been a really hot day so where tempted to sit inside but decided to have a peak at "the arbor". One look at the leaves of the wisteria covering the trellises blowing in a nice breeze and we made up our mind, outside it was. We started with a spinach salad that had some local goat cheese and a dressing made with Jalapenos and berries. Then some very good New England blue crab cakes. For our mains i had an excellent dish of chicken breast lightly covered in a glaze made from peaches and jalapenos (hey, it is in Texas ya know) My friend had a cut of pacific grouper baked between 2 slices of pineapple then covered with a yellow curry coconut sauce. The service was that magical balance between keeping our glasses filled but not constantly walking by our table and looking us over. All and all it was a fantastic meal in an almost cliche picturesque setting. The only, and i hesitate to use the word, disappointment, was the dessert menu. And actually I'm not being completely fair on that topic. It's just that we didn't have any dessert because the menu was pretty standard run of the mill stuff. Creme Brulee, chocolate cake, bread pudding in a brandy sauce, etc etc. I'm sure it's all very good, but after seeing all the interesting and creative flavor combinations on the rest of the menu the desserts where just so ordinary sounding. Plus we were quite stuffed.

But i will certainly be making the side trip off of I-10 to dine here when ever i have the chance.

• Visited June 2011

San Antonio, Texas
“German Food away from Germany”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

This was our second visits to the "welfare cafe". I ate the Rouladen which was superb and cooked to perfection served with mash potatoes and their red cabbage. Everything was perfect and food price proportion was equally good.

It has a very nice atmosphere, the have live music in the evening and they 3 different seating areas. The have a very Beer and wine selection. I definately recommend this place.

• Visited June 2011
Boerne
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad Wednesday Surprise”
Reviewed May 12, 2011

We have gone to Welfare Cafe for years with each and every time an outstanding experience. We have gone with friends and family and found it the go to place for our out of town visitors. Imagine our surprise on our 48th anniversary to have a most unpleasant experience. It was supposedly "pasta night" and there were three innocuous abbreviated menu items, only pasta, not evident there was any meat associated with the items. They DO NOT offer their normal great menu from which I wanted to order. No clue ahead of time that this was the case. Our selected items were terrible. First I ordered a fish dish and was asked "how do you want it done"? Hey it is FISH, not steak. I selected an alternative of a pork schnitzel type dish that could only be described as tasteless wallboard with the same consistency. My wife's selection was a supposed chicken dish that was comprised of seemingly about two pounds of bell pepper stuffed with some indescribable innards. No bread was served or offered until we asked. No sides or salad came the entrees. Extra if you want to pay prices like $4-5 for green beans as an example. The service was indifferent and uncaring. Our first clue on this Wednesday eve was a near empty parking lot. Perhaps this is just a Wednesday thing but it was so drastically in contrast to every other of the many times we had been there. What were they thinking??

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank nachogolf
San Antonio, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“THE place to pop the question...”
Reviewed March 6, 2011

My boyfriend and I were headed to Fredericksburg after camping out the night before, but were too tired to make the trip... so we came across this resurant because of it's rave reviews. It was great! We had the turkey club, angus burger and cherry pie (with an almond glaze and a superb crust - WOW!. We also had 2 german beers each. The total came to $37 +tip. The food was fantastic and the ambience better. The outdoor dining was romantic, in fact we are considering renting the barn behind the restraunt for our wedding. If you have a choice between lunch and dinner, go for dinner. It's about double in cost for the meal, though it is picture perfect (especially for popping the question - hint-hint).

Visited March 2011
Dallas, Texas
“Worth getting lost for!”
Reviewed December 13, 2010

It's out in the country - though really just a few miles from I-10 - and if you have GPS this is one time to use it. But once you find Welfare Cafe... what an experience!

I can't say what I liked more about Welfare Cafe: the food, the service, or the ambience. All were excellent. Both of us had schnitzels that were wonderful and the sides were perfect. The amount of food was large, meaning we had Welfare Cafe again for lunch the next day. Dessert was a Chocolate Praline cheesecake that had obviously been made on site that day and was best I've ever had. We skipped starters to ensure we had room for dessert - what a wise decision that was.

The service was perfect too. Our server was there just when she needed to be, and was really funny too. Otherwise she left us alone to enjoy our meal. She knew absolutely everything about the menu. I asked for a glass of wine to go with the schnitzel, told her roughly what I wanted, and she nailed it to perfection. Someone at the next table over asked how the Rouladen was made so they took her to the kitchen and showed her. It was like that the whole time. These people understand what makes a dining experience memorable and get all the little details right.

The surroudings are charming in their preservation of Texas history - we were sat right next to what had originally been the Welfare post office - still had the wire mesh partition and the pigeonholes for letters.