“Excellent!”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We stopped for lunch with friends who live in Boerne and always bring out-of-town guests, and it was easy to see why. Great ambiance, relaxing easy service, and wonderful food.

For starters, the Krombacher Weisen draft was everyone's favorite.

Two had Reuben sandwiches with thin crispy fries. Loved them. One had crab cakes which are her favorite repeatedly.

I had a pork plate with bread dumplings and homemade sauerkraut. Melt I your mouth tender and tasty. Excellent special of the day. Tastes blended wonderfully.

If nothing else, I would go back for the sauerkraut and try one of the schnitzels...and the Krombacher.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Drove through Boerne on our way home from Gruene. Ate breakfast here on a Sunday. It was ok, had the pancakes, eggs, bacon and toast. Didn't blow our socks off, but is a decent place to eat. Staff was friendly.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

A little German restaurant on the Rhine? Well, not exactly. It is right across from the Lake Boerne dam though (I will spare you the location pun). The interior is small, but nice and bright with plenty of natural light to make the place cheery. They also have a small bar inside with a few stools though its not exactly where you would want to hold your next Oktoberfest celebration (nor would they want you too most likely).

The draw is the charm and personal service of this small "chateau" to say nothing of the food, which I am getting to. A short chat with the affable waiter about schnitzel and an alternative suggestion made that was the waiter's favorite; Kasseler Rippchen (smoked pork chop for the germanic tongue impaired). How's that for a zuggenbrecher (tongue twister)!

Moist pork chop with just a hint of smokiness smothered in an extremely mild horseradish sauce with slivered almonds, lighter than air spatzle to dip in that creamy sauce, and some of the best, mildest, least acidic sauerkraut with caraway that I have ever had. Tremendous job Chefkoch! I was not suprised when I asked if the sauerkraut was made here and found that it was like most of the offerings.

I also found out that they have events where they spit roast a whole pig on the huge pit to the side of the restaurant. I can imagine how good it would be to pork-out at this pig-in! Reservations only!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We were looking for Kolaches in San Antonio, and our internet search found Little Gretel, so we decided to visit on Sunday. This is a few miles' drive west of San Antonio, but well worth it. For one thing, the town of Boerne is charming and scenic. For another, adjacent to Little Gretel is a unique toy store called Ewe & Eye, not to mention an adjacent tiny park with local art sculptures, and a river walk... but I digress.

Contrary to one recent review, our lunch experience was awesomely good. We three had the Sauerbraten & Dumplings, a Bavarian Meatloaf to take out (later pronounced "excellent"). True, we only have the Chicago area German and Polish restaurants with which to compare, but if Little Gretel were in Chicago, I'd be a 3 times/month customer.

The sauerkraut with caraway seeds will blow you away. I've never had sauerkraut this good. Our sauerbraten was superb. I've forgot what my wife ordered but it included red cabbage, which was also superb. Portion sizes are not overly generous, so we had no take-out, but we were definitely full.

We ordered some dessert Kolaches, but I was disappointed. I'm part Nebraska Czech, and these were more like apricot Danish than the Kolaches my Grandma made. The fact Gretel even tries to make them is to her credit.

I will say, there is indoor and outdoor dining, and on this day, Dec. 22, the weather was fine, so the place was full, inside and without, perhaps unexpectedly, and our waiter seemed overwhelmed. We got everything, but water was a bit tardy, and the appearance of entrees seemed to take awhile.

The "Bavarian" decor is charming, the bathrooms worth visiting for the nautical theme, even if you don't need to, and the noise level subdued so you can have conversations. The three of us, plus a takeout order, and at least one adult beverage, including tax and generous tip was $87.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I went to Gretel's expecting a great lunch but we were terribly disappointed. My wife had "Gretel's Schnitzel and I had the Jaeger Schnitzel. Both plates had two small pre-breaded pork cutlets, much like you would buy at your local grocery. We have had schnitzel at many German restaurants in Texas and this was not like any schnitzel we've had anywhere. The plates came with a very small portion of sauerkraut and a large serving of spatzle. The spatzle is listed as homemade but it had very little flavor and tasted bland. We will not return and would not recommend this place to anyone. Very disappointing.

2  Thank Russ P