“What a Great Evening!!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
San Antonio, Texas
“What a Great Evening!!”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We recently dined at this restaurant to celebrate the renewal of our wedding vows. It was such a romantic and quaint environment and we really enjoyed ourselves. The food was overall very good, although our entrees were not very warm. I think this is due to the fact that all the entrees had to be done at the same time. But the flavor of the ribeye steak was great and all the other courses were great. Such a special evening for my husband and I.

• Visited December 2012

San Antonio, Texas
“Central European with out having to Fly to Europe”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have eaten at Little Gretel's three times now. Most recently last week. If you get reservations you get seated inside, which is very comfortable. The menu is not only German Food, which we get a lot in this part of Texas, but also includes Czech, Hungarian and other parts of Central Europe. The food is very fresh, presented in a very appealing way on large plates. I am not a big fan of Sour Kraut, but the waitress suggested I try it anyway. She brought it to me on the side, and I ate it all. Save room for dessert. Good variety and there is enough to share if you don't want to tackle a dessert portion by yourself. Restrooms are unique and very clean. Find an excuse to wash your hands!

Visited November 2012
Bulverde, Texas, United States
“Waited for the Czech chefs...worth it!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Last Christmas, I received a gift certificate for the restaurant, but I had never heard of it. I had just missed their yearly special where Czech chefs come make dishes for two weeks in October. So I waited and waited fo them to return. It was definitely worth the wait! The food was a tiny bit sweeter than I remember the Czech food being, and I wondered if they did that for the American palate. I went at lunch and our bill for three people with appetizers, entrees, desserts and two beers total was over $150. This place is not cheap. It's definitely a special occasion place for me!

My one wish is that they offer a class on how to make their spectacular bread dumpling!!

• Visited October 2012
San Antonio
“Czech chefs made it special”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were unaware that chefs from the Czech Republic make an annual pilgramage to Boerne to cook at Little Gretel. Nice surprise.

Saurbraten was nicely complemented by fresh dumplings including a variation from the visiting chefs. Best in the area.

Rueben sandwich is outstanding Once again, best in the area.

Don't forget the kolaches. If you are too full, take some home.

• Visited October 2012
New Braunfels, Texas
“Worth the Trip!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Little Gretel was recommended to us when were at a German restaurant in Anaheim, California. We made reservations for six on a rainy Friday night in advance of theater tickets at the community theater. All six of us had an hour drive so we were really hoping for a good experience. The table was ready when we arrived and very nicely set. The atmosphere was typical German Gasthaus in style, which brought back memories of my time in Germany back in the mid-sixties. The draft Pils beer was perfectly chilled and delicious. Two of us had the special, which was the best prepared mahi mahi I have ever eaten. My wife has a gluten allergy which they accommodated very nicely with the stuffed pork chop. She loved it and was also very impressed with the red cabbage. She didn’t save me a single bite, so I know she was pleased with the dish. Two guests had steaks which they said were also very good. Service was excellent and we made it to the theater (just a few blocks away) with time to spare. We will definitely return.

• Visited September 2012